Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#242166 by papadoc
17 Apr 2006, 17:36
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
VS021, LHR TO IAD, 5TH APRIL 2006. (Economy)

Stayed in the Thistle Hotel the previous evening and as I had done OLCI, didnt leave the hotel to go to T3 until 09:30. Got to the Bag Drop area where there were about 40 or so people in-front of us. Checked-in in about 15mins or so and had seats 35 K and H as requested. Went upstairs for breakfast and after that it was time to make our way to Gate 32 for boarding.

At the gate G-VBLU Soul Sister was waiting for us. This was my first time on a 346 so I was looking forward to it. The usual scrum ensued at boarding, and then we had another slight delay as everybody had to make way for Sir Menzies Campbell and his entourage to push past us with their armed guards and board.[:(]

Once onboard we settled into our seats. The plane was nice and clean and fresh looking (as it should be, as it is only a few months old). The flight was fairly full, and we finally left the gate at about 12:25, about 25mins late. We were airborne about 10mins later and shortly after this the crew came around with our amenity kits and then a drinks round. V-Port was started almost immediately, although we had to endure Sky News first. Lunch was then served; I chose the Sausages and Mash which was OK, but not that brilliant.

The rest of the flight was pretty smooth, the seat belt lights came on a couple of times for some slight turbulence, but after my flight the Vegas back in February, it was nothing!! The crew came around once or twice with water and an ice-cream bar and then about one hour before landing they came around with tea. I had the Chicken salad roll and a Cadburys Bubbles chocolate bar. Once this was cleared it was time to start making our descent into IAD.

The approach itself was fairly rocky but the landing was very smooth. We landed just after 15:00, so we were on time after our late departure. As we were taxing to the gate Im positive one of the flight crew welcomed us to Washingtons DULLEST airport, but I could have just misheard him.[:D]

This was my first visit to Washington, so I was quite surprised by their procedure to get you to immigration. We got off the plane, and then had to board some kind of bus that rises and lowers itself up to the gates. This then takes you over to the arrivals area; all I can say was that it was different.

It was absolute chaos in the immigration hall, I guess several flights must have arrived at the same time, we finally got through after the best part of an hour (and I had a very friendly immigration officer, which makes a pleasant change!), collected our bags which were now by this time on the floor and then made our way via shuttle bus to our hotel in Crystal City.

Overall it was a great flight, the crew were good and I enjoyed flying on a 346, which seemed a bit quieter than a 747. Now it was time to spend 5 days exploring Washington DC.
#347381 by karnsculpture
17 Apr 2006, 18:48
Hey Papadoc I was really pleased to read this TR as I'm on a 346 in row 35 (A & C not H & K) in 3 weeks going to NRT.

What were the other choices on the menu?

How was the leg room?

TTFN

Paul
#347383 by mitchja
17 Apr 2006, 18:52
Thanks for the TR Papadoc [y]

I'm also in row 35/36 seats C/H on an A346 for my up-coming HKG/SYD flight. I'd also love to know what these rows are like and if you get an IFE box too [:?]

Regards
#347385 by papadoc
17 Apr 2006, 19:01
Hi Paul and James

The IFE box was under the K seat. They seem a bit smaller than the ones on the 747 and didn't intrude too much. You also get served fairly quickly in these seats so your first choice should be available. If I remember correctly the other choices were Chicken and the vegetarian one was Pasta.

As for the seat pitch, it was OK for me and I am 6ft and slightly overweight[:I] We sat in row 62 on the return flight (report to follow) and these seemed a bit more cramped to me, but it could have been just my imagination.

Hope you both have great flights,

Richard.
#347387 by mitchja
17 Apr 2006, 19:04
Thanks Richard [y]

Regards
#347389 by karnsculpture
17 Apr 2006, 19:19
Thanks Papadoc, that's what I wanted to read [:)]

Best wishes

Paul
#347416 by buns