Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#242187 by Ongen
18 Apr 2006, 19:36
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This trip I must confess was not one I was looking forward to. Infact, I was in a down right bad mood about going (something about not knowing when your heading back home can really kill a good mood).

I had spent the long weekend visiting family in Oxford and the limo arrived just after 1:30pm a little earlier than booked and ride to the airport was a breeze. Drive through check-in was a little entertaining when the security guy asked when I was returning to the UK as part of his usual did you pack your bags yourself story. I explained that while I plan to be on the June 2nd flight back to London, the ticket was flexible and the project behind schedule so the reality is I just couldnt say for certain. This was of course no issue to him. The car then deposited me at the end of the bridge prior to me setting the world-record for fastest trip through LHR security ever.

There was 1 person ahead of me in the fast track queue as I got to security, and he had passed through by the time I reached the X-Ray machine. Straight through security and duty free (stopping briefly to pick up a bottle of the Duty-Free only release of Highland Park 16 Yr Old single malt) and straight onto the lounge. Total time, about 3 minutes!

This was my first trip to the lounge since phase 2 opened. I love the library area, especially the long table from SRBs place. The garden seemed like a nice idea considering getting a decent view of the aircraft doing their thing has been made difficult since the closure of the Queens Building and the roof of T2 where I spent many happy hours as a kid watching the planes. However it was cold and wet in typical British Bank Holiday style, so I went to the multi-screen area to watch some Extreme Sports while eating a snack and sipping a mojito (which are very very good in the Clubhouse).

The lounge was extremely empty what with it being Easter Sunday, and it lacked the usual buzz which was a shame. The pre-booked haircut was fantastic just enough off to tidy up the mess that was my hair and leaving time for another drink at the bar while talking to the staff who seemed a little bored with it being so quiet.

Boarding was called and I walked straight through to my usual seat (3A) on the 343. The suite seemed in pretty good condition however there were a few biro marks on the side which I can never figure out how they get there. The drinks service was prompt as usual and almost resulted in me breaking a glass on the cocktail table which is as everyone knows in a down right stupid location. Unsurprisingly, UC was very empty with only 6 people in the front section and I didnt venture into the second section. After speaking to the FSM I discovered there were only 65 people on the whole flight.

Push back was on time and soon the CC came inquiring about my dinner choice. As I was already in a less than happy mood I confess to expressing my displeasure at the menu to the poor CC. I wasnt horrible about it, I just had to complain for the first time to a VS member of staff and I didnt like doing it. I realize (as I have commented on before) that there are 2 curries on the menu to India and there are 2 items off the usual menu. However the usual menu items being the Best of British contained Bangers and Mash, and Chicken-Tikka-Masala. I know this has had great reviews from people on V-Flyer however I didnt want curry (especially being here for so long) so had to go for the bangers and mash which was bad. Very very bad. Terrible in-fact. The sausages had a horrible taste and texture and the lack of additional vegetables added to the disappointment. There, rant over.

The rest of the flight was great however. The IFBT saw I was about to go to bed so grabbed me for the massage so I could have it which I thought was a nice touch as I had told her not to bother waking me up during the flight.

After going to sleep I woke with a start when the cabin crew woke me for breakfast. In fact I almost hit her by accident as I bolted upright in reflex! Many apologies later and I was eating breakfast.

We landed a little ahead of schedule with enough time for me to get a cup of tea in the lounge while waiting for my connecting flight. In all a pleasant (and very quiet!) flight which was let down only by the food. I will be communicating my concerns regarding the menu selection on flights to India to Virgin when I get a moment in a hope that it will be rectified before I next do a LHR-BOM sector around July.
#347544 by Jonathan
18 Apr 2006, 20:17
Nice TR Ongen,
I must confess I often eat in the lounge - then sleep - not that this excuses poor in flight food!!
#347567 by buns
18 Apr 2006, 22:29
Thankf for an engaging TR[y][y]

The garden seemed like a nice idea considering getting a decent view of the aircraft doing their thing has been made difficult since the closure of the Queens Building and the roof of T2 where I spent many happy hours as a kid watching the planes.

Those were the days[;)][;)] Never once did I take down and aircraft number - it was just a great place to go to get one's monies worth on an all day bus ticket[:w]

thanks once again - hope you get back soon
#347571 by Richard28
18 Apr 2006, 23:11
thanks for the TR Ongen.

Know what you mean about food and holidays (I crave a 'normal' diet when I come back from abroad!). One curry option on a flight should be adequate I think!
#347643 by Ongen
19 Apr 2006, 04:56
Originally posted by Richard28

Know what you mean about food and holidays (I crave a 'normal' diet when I come back from abroad!). One curry option on a flight should be adequate I think!

True! The 2 weeks I spent in the UK I visited Pret every day!
#347666 by shazam
19 Apr 2006, 09:10
Great TR thanks Ongen [y]

We travelled last year on Easter Sunday and it was lovely and quiet then too, I just love it when you whizz through security [:D]

Completely understand your comments about the in-flight food choices! My cravings while I'm away are usually for what I call 'comfort food' cottage pie, stewing steak and mash that kind of thing.

Anyway, hope all goes well with work and you'll be home again soon [:)]

S
Virgin Atlantic