Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#242263 by accpfc
20 Apr 2006, 21:00
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
I got a very cheap fare in the January sale for LHR to JFK. The plane that I was taking was parked at gate 23 at Heathrow terminal 3, which was fantastic as it is the closest gate to the departure lounge and you get great side views of the plane when walking to it. I was delighted to see that Cosmic Girl (G-VWOW) awaited me, knowing that it had the V:Port entertainment system - a system that up to now I had not used. I had been researching the database here and was glad that I didn't get Ruby Tuesday (G-VXLG), as it hasn't got V:port.

Got onto the plane and took my seat in economy class (43D). I had the aisle seat in the middle so unfortunately my leg room was reduced due to the IFE box. The plane was really hot and they even made an announcement over the PA system to apologise. The flight was scheduled to depart at 14.00 but we only got airborne at around 14.50. The pilot announced a journey time of 7h13. No complaints about the take-off, very smooth and little turbulence on the way up. The seatbelt sign didn't come on at all during the cruise, very little turbulence - one of the smoothest flights I've been on. Using i:map I saw we were cruising at 38,000 feet. The route which we took was different to what I had expected. We went over Southampton and did not cross Ireland. I had chicken and rice for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed the ice cream and egg sandwich offered about 2 hours before landing. The sandwich could have been a little bigger though!

The landing wasn't that comfortable. There were winds at JFK, and I was surprised at the turns before landing - they seemed to occur quite late, not long before touchdown. Flight was very busy, I saw only 1 spare seat in economy.
#348099 by GatorBaiter
20 Apr 2006, 21:56
Congrats on your first post! [y] And a very warm welcome to V-Flyer.
#348109 by Scrooge
20 Apr 2006, 22:34
Some of the approach patterns into JFK can be interesting to say the least.

Congrats on your first post and welcome to V-Flyer.
#348128 by shazam
21 Apr 2006, 00:12
Welcome to v-flyer and thanks for your TR [:)]

S