Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#242277 by honey lamb
21 Apr 2006, 11:54
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Or:

How a good FSM can turn around a flight

Our trip began auspiciously.ooops, come to think if it, it didnt and our fortunes bobbed up and down like corks in a choppy sea. [:0] The first bob of the cork happened appropriately enough in Cork where we learned that VS had changed the rules and as we didnt have a through ticket to DXB we could only check our bags through to LHR and had to re-check them there. Bummer! [:(!] However check-in at ORK was empty; we had exit row seats; the flight left slightly early and arrived 20 minutes early (more Clubhouse time) and by the time we had yomped our way from the bowels of T1 where they hide the Aer Lingus flights our bags had come through and we were ready for the trek to T3.

At that hour of the afternoon on the Saturday before Easter LHR was relatively quiet and we transited with ease but at that things started to go a little bit pear-shaped and the cork started to bob once more. Arriving at the UC check-in area there was no queue and no sign of the security person. On these occasions either the check-in person has gone to fetch them or else we have been called forward and then subsequently had the security check at the desk. However nothing happened and after hesitating a few minutes watched by the guy at check-in we decided to approach tentatively. He immediately morphed into the angel with the flaming sword and denied us entrance into that paradise which is the UC check-in area. [V] Fortunately the security lady came rushing up with profuse apologies and did the check in the middle of the red carpet. When we approached the desk, I apologised to the guy, but I might as well have saved my breath. He checked us in in silence and his only communication was a curt instruction to Aer John to remove his golf clubs from the scales once they had been tagged. He handed us our boarding cards and asked us if we knew where the clubhouse was and that was that. There was no instruction as to where Aer John was to take the clubs, information about Fasttrack nothing. It was the surliest experience I had ever had but what got to me was that on his identity badge his title was Senior.. [:0]

Arriving at Fasttrack there was just one person ahead of us already at the machine but by the time we got there he was still at the machine arguing about taking out his laptop! [ii] Eventually he got through and as Aer John and I put up our bags we were asked in turn if we had a laptop. I just said, No. I can read signs. I know how to take them out and winked. He just burst out laughing. [:D]

The Clubhouse! What can we say about the Clubhouse? It is just stunning! We both had something to eat and had treatments Fresh as a Daisy for me and a haircut for Aer John. John also went into the jacuzzi and sauna and Im sure will post pics of that momentous occasion! The time flew and all to soon it was time leave for the gate which is one of the far ones in T3.

If you thought the cork bobbed a bit before now, well that was nothing compared to the next while as it was well and truly tossed on stormy seas. Arriving at the gate we found that boarding had not yet begun and in fact they said that the crew had only just gone on board so we had to wait in the gate area except with a plane-load of economy passengers already in situ there was nowhere to sit. However we had positioned ourselves so that once the boarding announcement was made we were one of the first ones on and made our way to seats 1A and 2A on Jetstreamer. The rest of UC were following on our heels and the cabin crew had barely time to plonk a glass of champagne down for each of us when true pandemonium broke out. A family of five (or thereabouts) including adult daughters had followed Dad who had been instructed to follow me to seat 3A. They were obviously UC virgins [:w] and had booked seats in the same row all expecting to be sitting together. When they found out to the contrary they made a fuss, especially sorting out who sat where and were shouting at the tops of their voices. In addition, another family of five which included a toddler and two teenage daughters also landed in UC and to Aer Johns horror the toddler was seated in the Suite opposite him. [}:)] However these teenage daughters were soon consigned to economy. It was bedlam and while all this was going on we were totally ignored apart from the IFBT who took bookings for treatments. We put our names down more in hope than expectation given that we had already had treatments in the Clubhouse. I had a problem stowing my carry-on but no-one was there to help me. Eventually the family behind us was settled and sleep suits were handed out to them, whereupon the girls retreated to the toilets and then started parading up and down like a fashion parade. No sleep suits for us though. In the meantime, the toddler had to be prepared for take-off and screamed as she was being buckled into her seat as she was over 2 she had to have her own seat. At this stage Aer Johns eyes were rolling big time and steam was virtually coming out of his ears. Mum decided to move toddler into the suite opposite mine together with her blankie and Grumpy Gertie book and she did seem to settle. However for whatever reason, the crew insisted that she had to go into her own suite, but fortunately she settled down there and Mum with the crews permission, sat on the ottoman with her until the very last moment. In fairness after take-off Mum settled her for sleep and there wasnt a peep out of her till landing. [y] I digress back to the chaos. By this time the FSM realised there was a problem with my carry-on and decided to stow it elsewhere but what neither he nor I had realised was that Dad in 3A had plonked his laptop on top of it so that when he pulled it out the laptop came flying out also and landed on the floor alongside Aer Johns suite fortunately missing everyone in its descent! [:0] Fortunately at this stage we were ready for take-off so a relative calm descended on the cabin.

After a quick and smooth take-off (I cant remember how late, but given all that was happening, not all that late) chaos was restored once more. The FSM soothed the guy with the laptop, giving him details of customer service etc, but he continued to bitch about it (Dammit! Hed put the laptop on top of my case. Hed seen that it wasnt properly stowed. Hed seen the FSM query whose case it was and explain that it was going to be moved. Why didnt he say something?) Gertie Grumpy was being read across the aisle from us and..

we continued to be ignored. [:#]

At this stage I realised I had two choices. I could continue to grumble to myself and later bitch about the flight in my TR or I could say something to the FSM and let him know how I was feeling. Aer John popped his head over the Suite clearly feeling as I did and so when the FSM passed a couple of minutes later I nabbed him and politely let him know how we felt that there was a complete lack of service as far as we were concerned. We acknowledged that it hadnt been easy given that they were trying to prepare the flight and they had been late on board and that there had been difficulties with some of the passengers and seating arrangements but that apart from the IFBT no-one had spoken to us and at this stage, an hour after we had come on board, we didnt know which cabin crew was looking after us. He apologised and acknowledged that it had been chaotic but that did not excuse a lack of service. He went away and returned to let us know who our cabin crew was and she followed on his heels to ensure we had drinks, sleep suits and to take our order for meals. Aer John was then called for his treatment rapidly followed by me and the FSM came back a couple of times to check if everything was all right. Full marks to him. [oo] After that I certainly couldnt complain about the service.

For dinner I asked for a main course portion of the salad but I wasnt really hungry and I found the salmon rather too salty. I did however have the rhubarb and crumble which was gorgeous. After that I joined others at the bar and did not use the IFE apart from the skymap. When we hit a bit of turbulence I returned to my made up bed and tried to [|)] for the remaining few hours and all too soon we were descending into Dubai. Altogether a flight made good after an inauspicious start! [y]

We had been given fast track vouchers for immigration prior to landing. We were on a remote stand and while UC disembarked the crew were very vigilant in holding back the economy passengers including two young boys who were trying to make a break for it! [:D] Once off the aircraft it was easy to see why. The bus was labelled VIP bus and once UC passengers were on board the doors were closed and we were off none of the pantomime you have at IAD where they wait for the mobile lounges to be full so unless you position yourself correctly you get trampled in the dash off the said lounge and lose any priority.

Immigration was a breeze a quick flick through the passport, a couple of stamps and we were wished a pleasant holiday. The case came off pretty quickly but it seemed ages before the clubs came to us and we had to go to enquire. We were told they were on their way but a couple of minutes later we saw them on the ground to one side. They could have been there for ages for all we knew. No matter. Just a quick hop for a taxi and we were on our way! [y]
#348223 by Jonathan
21 Apr 2006, 12:22
Great TR !! - Its so true that a good crew makes all the difference!!
#348224 by AerJohn
21 Apr 2006, 12:25
I'll add my bit here cause i don't have much time on my hands to write my own TR.

I thought the check-in was poor. After waiting for the security lady to check our tickets and passports (she was chatting to another security person in the PE check-in area) we made our way to the desk where we were met by the dullest and most uninformative agent i've ever met. He seem to have the personality of an anorak.

I loved the longue. I think its the perfect size, not too big, not too small. I thought though that the service could have been a tad better, alot of waiter not doing much. The Hot tub was the best i have ever been on. Nice and powerful but it does hav some pointy edges. I think the garden is a great idea and gives great views on the airport.

The flight at the start was brutal. The noise, the disorder and lack of service made me feel like i could have put my fist through a wall[:I]. But like HL said, things improved thanks to a great FSM who was also Irish [y]. He was great making sure we were alright. He even gave me an extra sleep suit when i asked if the was a chance of getting one (they make great presents and everyone over here is mad for them[:D]). The IFE was pure crap and of course i left my iPod at hom[:(!]

The seat and the bed where both fine and got a good few hours sleep. Landing was uneventful and got through immigration very quickly.

My only complaint about baggage reclaim is that even if you are in upper, your clubs always come out last[:(!]. This drives me mad as you check in your case and your clubs at the same time yet your bag come out 20mins before your clubs do.

All in all, it wasn't the best flight we have ever had but it could have been alot worse.
#348225 by Monkey
21 Apr 2006, 12:29
Glad the FSM managed to sort everything out for you.

Hope you enjoyed Dubai. We did when we were there for the 1st time in December last yr.

I would be interested to know what your transfer time was if you were staying at the beach.

We flew into Abu Dhabi and would like to compare.

Thanks
#348233 by easygoingeezer
21 Apr 2006, 12:54
I like your TR's, you come accross as very classy[;)]
#348237 by HighFlyer
21 Apr 2006, 13:02
A fantastic read Honey Lamb, as always. Your wrighting style is just fantastic and had me in stitches all the way!

Thanks for taking the time to pen your journey, looking forward to the return!

Thanks,
Sarah
#348397 by DragonLady
21 Apr 2006, 20:12
Great TR Honey Lamb.Sounds like Aer John and yourself exercised great restraint amongst all the chaos. Glad to hear that the FSM managed to retrieve the situation admirably.Would love to have seen Aer Johns face when the toddler was seated opposite him but in my experience toddlers go to sleep and teenagers usually don't(well mine doesn't) so I know who I'd rather sit looking at.
#348442 by DragonLady
21 Apr 2006, 21:40
Just taken a look at the pictures you've posted of Jumeriah Beach Honey Lamb.The construction work looks pretty immense -is this typical all along the beach?
#348460 by Richard28
21 Apr 2006, 22:26
Thanks for the TR Honey lamb.

I like the VIP bus idea - thinking back I think we had a similar thing happen once at LHR too (beleive it or not!) on the VS20 back from SFO. It definately wasn't labelled VIP though!!

Good work on behalf of the FSM - I thought it was only the pilots who could 'turn around a flight' [;)]
#348464 by mitchja
21 Apr 2006, 22:31
Excellent TR thanks HL [y]

Sounds like quite an eventful flight indeed.

Regards
#348543 by iforres1
22 Apr 2006, 10:24
Great TR HL.

I wonder if you had the same FSM as we had coming back as ours was also Irish, but with a beard[:D]
I have been lazy and not filed any TR's[:I] for my recent trip however Highlyer covered the outbound one perfectly.

Glad you both had a great vacation.

Iain
#348547 by Edna Cloud
22 Apr 2006, 10:37
Excellent trip report, HoneyLamb. Sorry about all the cork bobbing though. There's no excuse for check-in agent being surly. What's the first rule of customer service ... ?

Have a great time

EC
#348550 by Decker
22 Apr 2006, 10:50
Cheers HL and props for taking the right course and complaining about the service whilst something could be done about it. I always worry I'd be too embarrassed to :(. Like other love the idea of the VIP transfer - it seems logical but so few places do it! Nice TR - and thanks for the interjections AJ - let us know what the golf is like there!
#348560 by jaguarpig
22 Apr 2006, 11:55
Cheers HL and props for taking the right course and complaining about the service whilst something could be done about it. I always worry I'd be too embarrassed to

Don't think I would have been brave enough to say anything either would have just been left with a sour taste.Thanks for the report HL.
#348567 by lynnewob
22 Apr 2006, 12:37
Let's hope your return trip is a little less eventful.

It appears a lot more hotels are nearing completion from when we were last there in October - I'm sure quite a lot of them are now already been occupied.

Look forward to reading your report about Dubai itself on the return too.
#348683 by buns
22 Apr 2006, 23:34
Hl

Thank you for the TR which was both informative and entertaining[y][y]

You make reference to 'UC virgins' and I suspect many of the those taking advantage of the price war currently taking place[:w][:w]

Methinks a seperate Dubai Section might not be too long in the making.

BTW
Do I take it the family behind you (aka troll) subsequently calmed down[?]

buns
#348686 by VS045
22 Apr 2006, 23:45
Was UC full or was the family able to rearrange themselves?

Great TR!

Cheers,
VS045
#348688 by honey lamb
22 Apr 2006, 23:48
Originally posted by buns4vs
Hl

Thank you for the TR which was both informative and entertaining[y][y]

You make reference to 'UC virgins' and I suspect many of the those taking advantage of the price war currently taking place[:w][:w]

Methinks a seperate Dubai Section might not be too long in the making.

BTW
Do I take it the family behind you (aka troll) subsequently calmed down[?]

buns

Buns,

I suspect that they were VH people as opposed to ones taking advantage of the UCS sale. If they had used the website one would have thought they would have more savvy about the suites.

Yes, they did calm down - either that or I got more anaesthetised at the bar [:0]
#348690 by honey lamb
22 Apr 2006, 23:52
Originally posted by VS045
Was UC full or was the family able to rearrange themselves?

Great TR!

Cheers,
VS045

Yes UC was full. As I said, they had thought that booking rows 3 and 4 that they would be sitting beside each other. The cabin echoed with cries of 'We orl want to sit togevva' [:0] and were completely flummoxed by the suites
#348695 by buns
23 Apr 2006, 00:08
Originally posted by honey lamb

Yes, they did calm down - either that or I got more anaesthetised at the bar [:0]

LOL - VS ought to add this to their UCS marketing[:w][;)][:w]

buns
#348699 by Scrooge
23 Apr 2006, 01:02
Good Tr HL and AJ,guess we can all use this as a lesson,when chaos is running amok in the cabin it is easy to be forgotten,it shouldn't be,but with all hell breaking lose and your stuck in a suite with walls it will happen,grabing the FSM and explaining the situation in a nice calm way is probably the best and easist way to go,give them a chance to fix the problem,also [y][y] to the FSM for turning around a bad situation.

Just as a note,HL but yourself and AJ are gold crad holders,you are traveling in UC,if a member of staff is throwing attitude at you ask for the staion manager,the normal responce will be why,tell that person that you are having a problem with a member of staff and would like it to be addressed.

If there is a member of staff that is having a bad,well these things happen,howvever they can quickly become the norm,letting upper managment know about the situation is the quickest way to stop it.
#348702 by honey lamb
23 Apr 2006, 01:42
To Decker, jaguarpig and jetwet 1

I'm not the bravest soul when it comes to complaining and I'm terrified of becoming that cranky old woman who used to live across the road from us when we were kids, [:0] but equally I have learned about the 'Moment of Truth' concept which I believe was developed by SAS airlines. I know what VS can do; I know how excellent they can be. You are preaching to the converted as far as I am concerned, but....and there are several buts:

I have equal status as those around me and should not be ignored

I might be a first time traveller with VS and your reputation rises or falls on how you treat me right now

If I am a regular traveller with VS I cannot and should not be taken for granted

If something has happened which has deflected from your service to me it is imperative that you are aware of it and you address it immediately

You have a manifest which tells you I am an AU member and therefore someone who is loyal to the company and should be treated as such - not obsequiously but with an acknowledgement that my hard earned cash has gone into the pocket of your company rather than the myriad of other companies who fly the same route.

It is on the basis of this that I brought it to the attention of the FSM who in fairness, acknowledged it and acted on it. The alternative would to have been to have suffered in silence and then write a trip report castigating VS to the delight of all those who wish to knock an airline which by and large is good and to which I personally have a great deal of loyalty
#348716 by buns
23 Apr 2006, 12:49
Originally posted by honey lamb
To Decker, jaguarpig and jetwet 1

I'm not the bravest soul when it comes to complaining and I'm terrified of becoming that cranky old woman who used to live across the road from us when we were kids, [:0] but equally I have learned about the 'Moment of Truth' concept which I believe was developed by SAS airlines. I know what VS can do; I know how excellent they can be. You are preaching to the converted as far as I am concerned, but....and there are several buts:

I have equal status as those around me and should not be ignored

I might be a first time traveller with VS and your reputation rises or falls on how you treat me right now

If I am a regular traveller with VS I cannot and should not be taken for granted

If something has happened which has deflected from your service to me it is imperative that you are aware of it and you address it immediately

You have a manifest which tells you I am an AU member and therefore someone who is loyal to the company and should be treated as such - not obsequiously but with an acknowledgement that my hard earned cash has gone into the pocket of your company rather than the myriad of other companies who fly the same route.

It is on the basis of this that I brought it to the attention of the FSM who in fairness, acknowledged it and acted on it. The alternative would to have been to have suffered in silence and then write a trip report castigating VS to the delight of all those who wish to knock an airline which by and large is good and to which I personally have a great deal of loyalty

HL
Well said and simply priceless[y][y] VS take note
#348728 by ChuckC
23 Apr 2006, 14:40
Couldn't agree more, HL, with what Buns has just posted. Everyone deserves great service. Either we provide it or we don't. That said ... I am not one to suffer in silence, and I'm glad you didn't.

Chuck-
#348821 by AerJohn
23 Apr 2006, 23:51
Originally posted by Decker
AJ - let us know what the golf is like there!

The golf courses there were very good. In total i played 3 courses, Dubai creek, The Emirates and The Nad al sheba.

I thought Dubai creek was a great course. Alot of water (obivously if its on the creek). It wasn't the tightest course but it was tough. It wasnt my best round ever, well i was just off the plane 7 hours before. The clubhouse is stunning. Very nice on the inside and looks great on the inside. From the outside it resembles the shape of a boats sails. Will post pics of it.

My next stop was the Emirates golf club, home of the Dubai desert classic which was won by Tiger Woods earlier this year. The clubhouse here is also stunning. Not very flashy or posh on the inside but its very nice. The course is a tough one. I can see why the European Tour visits here. Very tight and laden with either desert or trees. I Played ok here, it was a case on some holes hitting some poor shots and some shots too good. The greens here are putting on glass. I will post some pics of the clubhouse and of some construction near by.

Next stop was the Nad Al Sheba golf club. This course goes around the racecourse where the Dubai cup is held and where Robbie Williams was playing on Friday night. I had a tee time of 8 o'clock at night, yup you read it right, 8 o'clock at night. This course is a floodlight one. Now this was fun. Playing golf in the middle of the night, with a nice temperature of 20 degrees was just an experience that had to be done. It was a nice little course, with lots of bunkers, water and of course the racetrack running around the course.

All in all, the golf in Dubai was brilliant. Perfect courses, perfect weather, what more could you ask for.
Virgin Atlantic