Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#242317 by honey lamb
22 Apr 2006, 23:30
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
All too soon it was time to return after our trip to Dubai, and bidding a fond farewell to the staff in the Hilton Dubai Creek who had looked after us so marvellously [:#] we headed for the airport only a short trip away. The monitor indicated that VS was using check-in area 5 but that it was not yet open. However we went along and passed through the first security point to the check-in area to find that it was and that there were a few stragglers there in the economy queue. Both PE and UC were checking in passengers from the economy queue but once the family moved on from the UC check-in, it was our turn. Something missing? Yup! No security check-in person.

The guy at check-in was very friendly and on seeing our Irish passports told us his girlfriend was from Dublin. We told him we wouldnt hold it against him [:p] and when he looked a bit bemused, explained we were from Cork and naturally looked down on Dubliners. We also tried to cajole him into checking our bags all the way through to Cork and although he tried, the computer said no [:D] and so we were condemned to reclaiming our bags at LHR something we have never done on our return flight. He explained where the lounge was and stuffed our tickets and invitation into a ticket wallet (Ive so many I could paper the room with them at this stage!) and as we were leaving I heard him say excitedly to the guy in PE check-in that we were going all the way to Ireland. It made it sound as if we were going to the ends of the earth and I wondered if we should stock up on provisions, hire a dog sled or buy a map and compass or something. Incidentally Dnata is the handling agent for VS in Dubai. They probably also do the recently introduced Aer Lingus flight but he obviously hasnt worked there. Hed probably wet himself with excitement! [:0] Still, he was lovely!

From there we used the Fasttrack to Passport Control where the First/Business Class line was very strictly monitored. Anyone not in those classes was rapidly turned away. A young guy in front of us was obviously trying to chance his arm and remained there but the eagle-eyed guy at the desk spotted him and tried to turn him back. He pleaded to a passing official but to no avail he was sent to the back of the economy queue. Then it was our turn. We were asked if we had enjoyed our stay and would we return and when we answered both in the affirmative, he delightedly stamped our passports and boarding cards with such vigour and enthusiasm that my boarding card flew up into the air and executed a perfect double somersault before fluttering gently to the ground beside him. If it had been in the Olympics it would have scored a perfect 10 [:w]

On the way to the second security point I spotted something wrong with my boarding pass. We had pre-booked 1A and 2A but my pass said 2C. Aer Johns was OK and I was a little bit miffed at the change but decided to deal with it in the lounge. Once there it was speedily changed back to 1A.

We left our bags in the lounge and decided to explore the Duty Free where we made some purchases before going on to explore the rest of the duty free area. To be honest it was much smaller that I though it would be given the huge marketing it receives and Im not sure if it is really any cheaper for anything other than cigarettes and alcohol.

Back at the lounge Aer John helped himself to a drink and we ensconced ourselves in a corner overlooking the tarmac. The Gulf Air lounge is quite small but nicely divided up into areas so there is some element of privacy. After a time Aer John wandered off to the computer and I was content to people-watch. A family which included three young and boisterous children came in bearing the tell-tale red ticket wallet but went to a different part of the lounge so did not bother me. At one stage I went off to visit the Ladies, leaving my duty free on my seat and when I returned a mother and two young children had decamped in the same corner and mum was just about to shift my stuff so that she could sit there. [:(!] I quickly and silently reclaimed my seat and so the family moved slightly away. Dad was missing and Junior 1 kept on fretting he was going to miss the plane in spite of mums reassurances to the contrary. He then started fretting that the school would not know that he was not there and wanted mum to ring the school to tell them. Mum told him it would be all right but to my surprise a few minutes later I heard her calling them. Phrases about tails wagging dogs flitted through my mind. [;)] Aer John had left his drink beside me and so to get a break I took it over to him as he was still at the computer (on V-Flyer) and at that stage he told me that when they had come into the lounge they had gone through my duty free bag. [:(!] He was just going to get up when I returned. At this stage dad arrived laden with McDonalds Happy Meals for the kids. He promptly moved the suit carriers of the guy sitting opposite me who had gone to the Gents so that he could sit down [:(!] and then spread the repast over the table in front of them. By this time Aer John had rejoined me and as it was nearing boarding time we decided to head for the gate.

As we left the lounge we heard the boarding announcement for VS401 and arriving at Gate 18 we found the Priority Boarding area clearly marked. We went over but could not find the way in and asked an official. He told me that they were just opening up a machine and it would be a few minutes. We knew we were ahead of any lounge announcements so did not worry unduly, but he obviously did. Eventually, after a few minutes it was deemed that there were not enough staff there to man the extra line and so he placed us at the front of the main line, much to the fury of those behind us. Quick as a flash the Priority Boarding sign was turned around and interestingly the official came over to apologise once more and told us there were not enough police on duty to man the machines. It made me wonder if the police actually monitor the security checkpoints since there was no-one in an obvious uniform. [:?]

Once through our third security check and in the boarding area, the tailfin of our plane could be seen and all of a sudden there was a loud tinkling sound as a shed-load of pennies dropped! [B)] Of course I was given 2C. The plane was our old friend from our last IAD flight, V-FLY and if my memory served me correctly, one of the non-Suited planes still left in the fleet. Oh dear, what is the world coming to? 3 out of the last 4 UC flights not in Suites. [V]

Shortly after that priority boarding was announced and as we had strategically positioned ourselves near the door we were first in the queue until a young man (with a red boarding card) suddenly stood in front of us. Two can play that game and so I reclaimed my position. [:p] They were pre-boarding a wheelchair passenger and we were allowed to board only after the wheelchair was brought back from the plane. Once freed from the shackles of the boarding area we hurried to have our worst fears confirmed. Dubai boards through two doors and so we scampered along the jetway, onto the plane only to be confronted with the purple and red J2000 seats. [:0] The crew, seeing our faces, told us that they too were shocked to see them and all we could do was be grateful it was not a night flight. I felt especially sorry for the cabin crew who told us that friends had joined her in Dubai. They had been due to fly out in First on Emirates the previous day and she had persuaded them to stay an extra night and fly back with the Suites. She had lauded the Suites on high and nearly dropped when she had arrived on the plane to find the old seats!

Unlike our outbound flight the crew were very chatty and attentive at this stage in the flight. Seeing Aer John and I in 1A and 2A we were told that it was a very light load in Upper and if someone came into the seat beside either of us then they would negotiate with them to move. There then followed an I dont want to sit with her I dont want to sit with him interlude (We do love each other most of the time) after which we decided we would wait and see. In fact someone did come into 2C so just before take-off Aer John decamped into 1C. The loads were very light and in fact there was only 1 seat occupied in the middle section and there were about three or four empty seats in the other areas. Oh, yes, the families. They were both seated in the area that would normally have been the snooze zone if it were a night flight and the kids made great friends with each other. [y]

We seemed to be ready for take-off at the appointed time and indeed the jet bridge to economy had been removed. However there was some delay and eventually an announcement came on to say that two families in economy had brought buggies or push chairs on board which had been tagged and should have been handed up at the door to go into the hold and would they please come forward. We waited and waited and at one stage Aer John, who was now in 1C looked back and reported that there was an argument going on as the family did not want to give up the buggy! [:(] Eventually however it was resolved and we took off some 40 minutes late. After take-off we flew past the Hilton Dubai Creek where we had spent many a happy day before first of all flying out to sea before turning north for home.

Although the cabin crew who had met us on boarding the flight had told us she would be looking after us, she was the one whose friends were on the flight and so there had been a discreet swap with a colleague who looked after us superbly. At this stage I have to put it on record that although the cabin crew had friends on board the flight, if she had not told me that I would not have known. We have often read in TRs about crew spending all their time with their friend to the detriment of the service but in this case it was not so. They were superb. [y]

After take-off we had the drinks round and I was offered a second G&T which I thought would be bad manners to refuse [;)] (it was made easier in the knowledge that Aer John is now driving and he was going to drive home from ORK. WooHoo!) The food was absolutely gorgeous the best I have ever had on a flight. I chose wild mushroom soup followed by rack of lamb and cheese and biscuits. Superb! The wines were a bit indifferent even though I am not a connoisseur. The reds seemed all a bit samey and I would have liked the choice of a Shiraz or a Merlot. Still they were pleasing enough, but not the best I have had. OK, so I am giving top marks for the food but if Aer John were doing this report he would give it zero! He likes plain food without sauces. He might have liked the lamb and should have tried it but was put off by the mustard crust. He tried the Iranian chicken thinking it would be like the chicken we had had the previous night in the desert but it turned out too spicy for him. In fairness the cabin crew went to see if there was anything in economy for him but to no avail, so he ended up with bread and ice-cream. I had to feed him in LHR. Maybe I should have sent him down to McDonalds in DXB!

We both got treatments and I had a drink at the bar. Oh, I should mention that on both this and the outbound flight there was a good selection of magazines and papers far better than on previous flights. We also got letters from SRB apologising for the absence of the Suites (a few miles would have been nice, Sir Richard) although I am still bemused as to why the second part of the letter was in Thai as opposed to Arabic. [?]

Notice anything missing? Yep! The FSM. Although I saw her at the beginning of the flight and I think it was she who gave out the SRB letters, she was conspicuous by her absence, which was all the more noticeable after our outbound flight.

Prior to landing Fast Track vouchers were handed out and we had a relatively smooth landing before being released into he heaving mass of T3. As I said earlier this was the first time we had used this route. Fast Track was in fact Slow Track and it was galling to see people in the ordinary immigration queue with economy stickers on their luggage carrying Dubai Duty Free bags alongside us and in many cases getting out ahead of us. Once through, though the luggage had started to come through. Aer Johns clubs were already there and my case was trundling around so in no time at all we were on our way to T1 for food for Aer John and our flight to ORK and home. Aaagh!
#348689 by buns
22 Apr 2006, 23:49
HL

Once again you have provided an extremely illuminating TR - my most grateful thanks[y][y][y]

Following on from your outbound TR, looks like this route is truly a B&S - perhaps ground staff at MCO or LAS could pop over to DXB to give some tips[;)][}:)][;)]

He promptly moved the suit carriers of the guy sitting opposite me who had gone to the Gents so that he could sit down and then spread the repast over the table in front of them.

And did the 'Borrowers' try to spread out later onboard the aircraft????

Thanks once again

buns
#348691 by VS045
22 Apr 2006, 23:57
Again, a fine TR!

Sorry about the food :(

Cheers,
VS045
#348697 by mitchja
23 Apr 2006, 00:49
Excellent TR thanks HL - sorry to hear about another J2000 J cabin though [V]

Regards
#348700 by honey lamb
23 Apr 2006, 01:11
Originally posted by VS045
Again, a fine TR!

Cheers,
VS045

The food was fine as far I was concerned. The problem was Mr Picky!! [ii]
#348701 by Richard28
23 Apr 2006, 01:38
Wonderful TR Honey Lamb!

lets hope it's your last J2000 experience - but as you say, at least it was a day flight.

As for Aer John not liking a mustard crust on lamb - tut tut [V][;)]!!!
#348712 by VS045
23 Apr 2006, 11:26
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, a fine TR!

Cheers,
VS045

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The food was fine as far I was concerned. The problem was Mr Picky!!

The one time you actually need 'bangers 'n' mash'...[;)]

Cheers,
VS045
#348715 by honey lamb
23 Apr 2006, 12:43
quote:

Again, a fine TR!

Cheers,
VS045

The food was fine as far I was concerned. The problem was Mr Picky!!

The one time you actually need 'bangers 'n' mash'...[;)]

Cheers,
VS045

They were on the outbound flight and he didn't eat them either but he had eaten in the Clubhouse
#348718 by VS045
23 Apr 2006, 13:18
The one time you actually need 'bangers 'n' mash'...

Cheers,
VS045

They were on the outbound flight and he didn't eat them either but he had eaten in the Clubhouse

Huh, I thought that VS weren't serving pork on the flights to DXB?[:?]

Cheers,
VS045
#348732 by ChuckC
23 Apr 2006, 14:57
HL,
Can't imagine that a non-Suite aircraft would end up on a brand new route, and one wonders whether it may have been a last-moment substitution.

You have a wonderful gift for writing and I always enjoy your TRs.

Best regards, HL ...
Chuck-
#348737 by AerJohn
23 Apr 2006, 17:07

The one time you actually need 'bangers 'n' mash'...

Cheers,
VS045

Huh, I thought that VS weren't serving pork on the flights to DXB?[:?]

Cheers,
VS045

They dont. Instead its turkey rashers and lamb sausages.

All i want is a normal meal on the menu. I mean if you can have an Indian or Arbabic option, why not a normal option.

Yera, i'm not going to complain, i did come home with 6 sleep suits at the end of the day.[:D]
#348756 by iforres1
23 Apr 2006, 19:08
Thanks again for the TR HL.

I did not rate the check-in service at all. Upon arrival no mention of what zone to check-in, we arrived 3 hrs before though[:I]. EC and PE opened before UC. The fasttrack door was open but then the lane was closed. Priority boarding was not in eveidence. But the flight home was excellent. Lamb was [y] if not a little on the small side.

Glad you both made it home ok

Iain
#348769 by HighFlyer
23 Apr 2006, 19:57
HL

I can only add to what the others have said already; your writing style is superb and i do relish reading your TR's. Another superb instalment of your travels, thank-you so much for sharing.

I am almost as surprised as you to hear of J2000 on this flight! I can only hope that it didnt affect you too much, being a day flight? You must be struck by the unlucky G-VFLY bug [:(] As for the FSM, as said so many times before; they really can make or break a flight, it wouldn't have been much of an effort to come and say hello to you for 5 minutes as a FC Au

I hope that regardless of the obvious, you guys had a fab break and that the rest of the flight was not too bad?

Thanks,
Sarah
#348793 by Treelo
23 Apr 2006, 21:28
Great TR honey lamb - pity about the prats in the lounge [:(!] Not that it's any consolation, and in no way condoning the inconsiderate behaviour, but that seems to be the way the world is going these days. [ii]
#348844 by mcuth
24 Apr 2006, 07:27
Another superb TR, HL, thanks [y]

Cheers

Michael
#349149 by jaguarpig
25 Apr 2006, 11:25
there was an argument going on as the family did not want to give up the buggy!

Made me chuckle,sat in the BA lounge at IAD the other day watching the buggies getting slung down a slide, thuding into an old tire at the bottom[:0],thanks for the report.[y]
#349200 by iforres1
25 Apr 2006, 14:43
I have got to admit that when I presented our buggy for check-in I was surprised when the kind lady politely told us there was no need and that as we were flying UC we were entitled to take it on board and sure enough the cabin crew quickly found a spot for it in a locker. An unexpected bonus for us[y]

Iain
#349270 by honey lamb
25 Apr 2006, 19:29
Yes, I've seen them stow buggies in UC but obviously the crowd in EC thought that they were entitled to the same service too.
Virgin Atlantic