Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#242468 by McCoy
30 Apr 2006, 22:00
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Great flight.. the Snooze Zone works...

Check-in

My first ever experience of JFK airport has been a good one. Limo dropped us at the front door, with just a short walk over to the UC check-in. No queue and friendly smiles all around - in fact, there was virtually no queue at Economy check-in as well... interesting. Directed towards the Clubhouse, via the bag scan area, where the two bubbly TSA ladies cracked some jokes that we didn't really understand.. but nodded and smiled anyway!

JFK Clubhouse

Had a few hours here, and found it an easy place to spend time. Very open-plan and you're aware of the noise from the shopping mall area below.. but I understand the design had to follow airport requirements regarding 'transparency' towards the windows. Drinks were good, and service was reasonably good - a bit slow at times. Food was excellent - the steak was scrumptious, and the cashew rice pudding was just gorgeous. Music is on the loud and lively side. Free wireless broadband. Ben&Jerry's ice-cream.. yum.

Boarding and Sleeping

Another area where LHR could improve upon by copying the USA.. easily identified priority boarding lane, and we were straight on to Sweet Dreamer G-VSSG. I had selected seats in the snooze zone at online check-in 24 hours previously - 4K and 3K. Champagne and sleep suit handed to us almost immediately, which meant we could change straight away, and be ready for sleeping. Had the option of filling in a breakfast card and being woken 1h15 before landing.. we declined, preferring to sleep until the 20 mins warning! Which we did, and a most comfortable sleep I had. Suite all worked fine (thankfully!) and aside from a little turbulence mid-atlantic, all was quiet and undisturbed.

Arrival and Revival

Arghh.. UK immigration should be a breeze, but no, a 30 minute wait in the EU line. The foreigners line was never more than a few people deep.. and the Fast-track line also virtually empty, but no.. we had to stand in a long queue. *sigh* Thanksfully, we docked at Revivals shortly after, and had a wonderful shower/breakfast/massage.

So.. I am now a fan of the Snooze Zone for East Coast US flights home. The JFK Clubhouse dinner was excellent, and Revivals is under-rated and well worth visiting.
#350134 by Nottingham Nick
30 Apr 2006, 22:05
Smiling New Yorkers, a nice steak and a smooth, undisturbed sleep all the way home.... it's the sort of things dreams are made of. [}:)][;)][8D]

Glad you had a good trip, thanks for the TR. [y]

Nick
#350135 by Decker
30 Apr 2006, 22:32
these are the things, these are the things, the things that dreams are made of.... nice one!
#350136 by McCoy
30 Apr 2006, 22:34
Steady on..! :) It's not like I shared the UCS with Jennifer Aniston and got her phone #....

To me, it's what a flight should be.. eat beforehand, sleep on the plane, and an arrivals lounge for breakfast. Simple.
#350137 by buns
30 Apr 2006, 22:51
McCoy

Thanks for the TR[y][y]

So.. I am now a fan of the Snooze Zone for East Coast US flights home. The JFK Clubhouse dinner was excellent, and Revivals is under-rated and well worth visiting.

This is how is should be - nice to hear it
#350145 by Lipstick
01 May 2006, 00:03
Good TR - But have you got the flight wrong on the thread title?

The VS001 is LHR-EWR and you're writing about JFK-LHR!!!

I'm a perfectionist.
#350162 by Nottingham Nick
01 May 2006, 09:58
Originally posted by Lipstick

The VS001 is LHR-EWR and you're writing about JFK-LHR!!!

Edit by mod..... the flight was VS010 - now changed.

Thanks lipstick. [y]

Nick
#350185 by Jonathan
01 May 2006, 12:58
Nice TR McCoy,
the thing I dont like at us airports are landside lounges (as you never know how busy security will be!)

I like the open space at JFK though and I enjoyed a good steak there too!
#350191 by McCoy
01 May 2006, 13:43
Originally posted by Jonathan
Nice TR McCoy,
the thing I dont like at us airports are landside lounges (as you never know how busy security will be!)
I had the same fear about JFK before arriving there yesterday.. but I took a short walk down from the clubhouse just to have a look around, and I could see that it was quite streamlined and efficient, so was less worried.

Was surprised at the comment from the first TSA guy..'I would recommend removing your shoes'... not please, take off your shoes, but recommend! Didn't know what he meant, but complied of course!
#350250 by csparker
01 May 2006, 20:26
I did the 10 the night before - full TR to follow of course. Some notes from my flight in comparison though:
1. CH service was v. attentive - three waiting staff stopped by in my first 5 mins.
2. No problems thru security.
3. I checked with the TSA guy whether he wanted my shoes off - answerwas no. When I am wearing my work shoes (black leather, chunky, metal heel tips) they have to come off, but docksiders or my trainers could stay on.
Virgin Atlantic