Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#242488 by Paul H
02 May 2006, 00:15
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Flew back in 71A and C on upper deck. As we had not used Virgin Upper class before, we decided that rather than risk paying 450 extra each that could be possibly just a bed in the sky, we reserved PE for the return journey.
Car rental return was very easy and clearly marked on the signs coming up to the terminal. Checkin at Orlando was very smooth with a very polite and efficient lady who called us over from the PE line to the Upper Class checkin desk ( no upgrade, thankfully[:)])
Our seats we had reserved were duly allocated and she explained that after we had weighed the luggage and had ID tickets put on, we had to take them over to the security for final check. This was quickly done with a security guard clearly explaining (politely) to everyone
where they should take their luggage if they were flying with Virgin.
Went through security with no problems. I am not sure if this was a one off, but Orlando is like chalk and cheese when compared to Miami.[y]
Shuttle train took us to the terminal and we were soon having a glass of wine in the bar near/in the Outback steak house.
We went to the gate and there was a large line for ecconomy. PE was a straight walk up and on to the plane with no fuss. [y]
First impression of Virgin PE seat compared to BAs WTP is that it is softer/more comfortable. The side bins are superb. We didn`t even use the overhead storage lockers. They also make a very good place to put your dinner trays etc when you are not using them.
Side by side seating also meant that I could talk easily with my wife and look out of the two windows next to my seat.
Seat recline could have been just a little bit better but was still good. Legroom was good (I am 6`3')and the leg rest was actually quite useful. On the BA one, it seems too high so I can`t get my feet on it with any comfort. Champagne was offered as soon as we got on board and the small table between our seats took our glasses easily.
Food was good by airline standards and to me was no worse than the UC offered on our trip out. We had a nice salad,BBQ chicken,cheese and sesame seed crackers, bread roll and a very good chocolate cake thing with coffee plus a chocolate mint.All was polished off and the empty trays placed out of the way on our side cabinets. Baileys and Brandy was then brought round but unfortunately as I was driving when we got home,I declined. Wines beers etc were offered. Just as a comparrison, I asked if they had Drambuie that I had had on the way out in UC. 'Sorry only Gin or Vodka'. I don`t know if this is a downgrade or if they just did not have Drambuie on the flight.
Breakfast was very basic of a muffin, fresh orange juice and fresh fruit salad with coffee or tea.
Only down side was that the cabin crew member appeared to be just going through the motions.
Flight was early by about 20 minutes. IFE was usual low quality Manchester offering but the head phones had at least been upgraded to the same as Upper Class[;)].
All in all, worthwhile upgrade from Ecconomy and apart from the seat not converting into a bed, not much different to UC.
#350291 by Scrooge
02 May 2006, 00:22
Well having read both your TR's im glad that at least this one seemed to be more in line with what you were expecting.

As you have seen we all agree with you about MAN and the need for improvments,who know's maybe they are on their way,the problem is it is not VS that controls the space for a clubhouse it is BAA,im sure if BAA offered up the space VS would put a real clubhouse in in an instant.
#350302 by onionz
02 May 2006, 03:35
Thanks for the TR. I'm sure many will find the comparison of PE and UC very useful.

Originally posted by jetwet1

As you have seen we all agree with you about MAN and the need for improvments,who know's maybe they are on their way,the problem is it is not VS that controls the space for a clubhouse it is BAA,im sure if BAA offered up the space VS would put a real clubhouse in in an instant.

Errr..BAA don't own MAN, Dave! Manchester Airports Group do, but I still see the point you are making. I think though that the number of flights VS run from MAN is the crucial point. A clubhouse is a big investment, and it might only get used by the 28 UC pax on the MCO+BGI flights plus any Au FC members.
#350307 by Scrooge
02 May 2006, 08:34
They don't! Hell I would of put money on that..ok that will teach me to trust my memory rather than double checking the fact's,thanks for correcting me Onionz.

The same could be said for SFO as with only one flight a day your looking at 40 + or - and MAN has more chance of growth,not wanting to pull this OT but I guess MCO is the big loser in this regards.
#350308 by MarkJ
02 May 2006, 08:38
Originally posted by Paul H

I am not sure if this was a one off, but Orlando is like chalk and cheese when compared to Miami.[y]

Nope - MIA is the pits - I dont know anyone who has a good word to say about the airport there.[n]
#350310 by Scrooge
02 May 2006, 08:54
Originally posted by MarkJ
Originally posted by Paul H

I am not sure if this was a one off, but Orlando is like chalk and cheese when compared to Miami.[y]

Nope - MIA is the pits - I dont know anyone who has a good word to say about the airport there.[n]

Very true,I wonder if any airline has considered flying trans-atlantic into FLL?
#350365 by Jonathan
02 May 2006, 15:49
I dont mind MIA actually as the disabled immigration line is the same as the crew line![y] but granted most people dont get this perk.

Also I was staying near key west so flying to MIA saved me a bit of driving!
#350424 by adam777
02 May 2006, 19:34
I for one really like MIA. However that is more to do with that being my home base for many years when I worked at sea and in Florida and the many very happy memories that come back to me when I pass through there. I must have flown through there a couple of hundred times on my way to and from various adventures.

As an actual airport though I can see everyones point of view.
#350761 by easygoingeezer
04 May 2006, 10:34
Last year I went PE from MAN and found the outbound staff bordering between rude and indiferent, having read a lot of comments about the attitude of cabin crew at MAN I have come to the conclusion that one of the team is less than suitable for the job as it only seems to happen either on the outbound OR inbound and never both.

Having said that upstairs in the bubble is lovely and I find it very comfortable.

Still love UCS though and find it £ for £ more value for money
Virgin Atlantic