Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#242494 by lynnewob
02 May 2006, 13:38
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Flew out to JFK on VS3 on Friday morning following a short overnight stay at Holiday Inn on M4 Junction 4.

Checked in prior to leaving the Midlands the day before so had no problem obtaining our requested seats of 74A and C (the back two seats upstairs with the handy little table at the side).

Bag drop queue was quite busy so went to the empty PE queue and asked how full the flight was. I was informed it was overbooked by 11 in economy and 3 in PE. I did ask if there was any possibility of upgrades in light of this and she said it was golds as first priority which is fine as I'm only a lowly silver and accepted my fate. At least we got our requested seats so not a problem. You can only but try.

As we were sitting supping our champagne on walked a passenger on the upper deck accompanied by a member of the VA staff to the front right hand upper class suite. I informed my husband I thought it was Natalie Imbruglia (who he's had a crush on for years) and he went all goggle eyed. I asked the VA staffer extremely quietly if it was and she confirmed yes. Hubby was in his element when he knew. Oh, the things I do to keep him happy [ii]

There was an exceptionally nice and friendly blonde lady FA who came around and offered us two rounds of drinks/pretzels and looked after us brilliantly throughout the flight.

The normal food fare was offered of 'bangers and mash' which was actually very nice - it certainly sounded like the better option of the two.

Unfortunately our two screens had problems with v-port and the film jumped and froze throughout and then stopped suddenly. We managed to sort it out ourselves and fast forwarded to very near the end. We both gave up the ghost of watching any more films and settled down to listen to music and try to have a nap.

Following that had a quick wander downstairs and was surprised to see the bar was immediately at the bottom of the stairs and I was soooo tempted to just prop myself on a stool and ask for a drink - but got a little scared as I thought this may be overstepping the boundaries a little.

Anyway a fantastic landing by our wonderful lady pilot into JFK and and flew through immigration as we were the only plane that had landed at that time.

Luggage was quickly out thankfully. Natalie Imbruglia came very close to where we were standing and just as we were leaving saw that she was struggling to get three large bags onto a trolley and I very kindly offered my husband's (note, not mine as I couldn't cope with the size of these bags) assistance. She said we were very sweet but would be able to cope. Hubby was hilarious and went into Chandler from Friends mode in that when he opened his mouth to say something, it just came out as aoeeugghg.... Oh the joys of being with a lovestruck man.

Anyway flight over, got a limo from a guy called Joey outside who charged us $45 to take us to our changed hotel of the Millenium Broadway Premier in peak Friday traffic which was an event in itself.
#350342 by mitchja
02 May 2006, 14:01
Excellent TR thanks Lynne [:)]

Regards
#350347 by MarkJ
02 May 2006, 14:22
Originally posted by lynnewob

Unfortunately our two screens had problems with v-port and the film jumped and froze throughout and then stopped suddenly. We managed to sort it out ourselves and fast forwarded to very near the end. We both gave up the ghost of watching any more films and settled down to listen to music and try to have a nap.

Following that had a quick wander downstairs and was surprised to see the bar was immediately at the bottom of the stairs and I was soooo tempted to just prop myself on a stool and ask for a drink - but got a little scared as I thought this may be overstepping the boundaries a little.

Great TR Lynne[y]

The freezing of V-port seems to be a recurring theme of late - and based on TR's from other airlines there doesnt seem to be as many issues elsewhere.

When I went out to MIA the FA said that PE customers sometimes sat at the bar - beause of where its situated - as on LHR flights the UCS passengers have to go throught the PE section to get there - and unless it was busy she said it was rarely a problem - another reason for sitting in PE upstairs then[:D][:D][:D]
#350349 by Mavrick
02 May 2006, 14:31
Nice TR, Thank you. [y]
#350353 by Jonathan
02 May 2006, 14:53
Nice TR - I hope the hubby didnt take too long to snap out of his lurve thing!
#350384 by lilyjosh0
02 May 2006, 17:49
Lynne, please tell me that Natalie is fat and ugly in real life[:)]
#350535 by lynnewob
03 May 2006, 08:42
Lilyjosh - I wish she was fat and ugly but no, certainly not, she's really tiny about 5'2' and about a UK size 6!!!

Jonathan - No, he's still lovestruck and telling everyone about her.
#350537 by McCoy
03 May 2006, 08:55
It's her lovely big eyes that get me every time....

[:I][:X]
#350640 by csparker
03 May 2006, 18:46
I don't know about Natalie Imbruglia, but about 15 years ago I sat opposite one of the models who was in the Cadbury's Flake commercials (the gypsy caravan one IIRC). It's a wonder any food hit my mouth that night...
#350643 by Scrooge
03 May 2006, 18:56
Originally posted by McCoy
It's her lovely big eyes that get me every time....

[:I][:X]

Though only with the long hair....good TR,$45 for limo,not bad
#350645 by McCoy
03 May 2006, 18:58
Originally posted by jetwet1
Though only with the long hair....

*dribble*
#350706 by mike-smashing
03 May 2006, 22:51
Originally posted by lynnewob

I've had a couple of invites to the bar when I've been travelling PE.

On the more recent occasion, the FSM discreetly invited Au passengers in PE for a drink, because the J cabin was very lightly loaded on that particular flight.

However, I wouldn't just help yourself to a seat... I think a lot of it depends on how busy the flight is and the FSM you've got.

Cheers,
Mike
#350711 by Paul H
03 May 2006, 23:24
Anyway a fantastic landing by our wonderful lady pilot into JFK

She may of made a lovely landing but I bet she still needed help parking it up at the stand!
Ok I am ready for the [B)] from everyone
#350819 by ChuckC
04 May 2006, 15:01
Hi lynnewob,
Loved your report. Your final comment about grabbing a car from 'a guy called Joey' was sheer entertainment. For those who have flown into NYC and are completely baffled by the cacaphony on the sidewalk just outside the terminals, 'Joey' is quintessential New York![:D]

Chuck-
#350878 by lynnewob
04 May 2006, 19:31
Hey Chuck
You are definitely right about Joey being a proper New Yorker - Irish/Italian through and through. His story about spending 2 months in New York County by way of mistaken identity cracked me up and he is now suing the City for a $1m.

Natalie didn't have the long hair this time, it was short but anything seems to suit her though - life's just not fair for us mere mortals.
Virgin Atlantic