Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#242528 by mdvipond
03 May 2006, 16:19
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Time, at long last, for our annual jaunt to sunnier and warmer climes back to good ol Barbados for our jolly hols. The usual travail of getting ourselves from Leeds to Gatwick (via MAN) was going to be a little more challenging this year, with the addition to our party of mdvipond jr. and lest we forget her outrageously expensive push chair which, for ease of transportation, is cunningly designed to conveniently pack down to something similar in dimensions to an unruly hang-glider.

A fake-pine-scented taxi journey, followed by the skip-and-jump from MAN to LGW were relatively pain free, and we were all ready for twilight check-in (well, more like twilight bag-drop really, as wed already checked in online to ensure our beloved 6A & K). This was marred ever so slightly by Mrs. mdviponds sudden realisation that shed left her handbag containing house keys, purse, camera, camcorder in the toilets at MAN. Now, Im not a man known for his outbursts of rage and frustration so, to be fair, even I was quite taken aback at my reaction to this news. That said, after producing a barrage of choice expletives, the kind of which I normally reserve for when Jamie Oliver appears on my TV screen, I regained some basic level of composure and headed for the first friendly faces we could see amidst the Gatwick throng which, rather fortunately, belonged to the girls at the VS ticket desk. Long story short(ish), they were wonderful; found the right number to phone T3 at Manchester and, when said number turned out to be engaged, kept ringing for us on their landline whilst we tried on our mobiles. Finally got through, handbag (miraculously) found and not blown up, then and we have to give a huge thumbs-up to BA for this sent down to us with a member of their staff that evening. Disaster averted.

Finally got up to check-in, to face a queue that I felt duty bound to point out we would have avoided if someone hadnt lost her handbag. Didnt go down well Only ten minutes or so though, and we were dealt with relatively quickly and efficiently by a young gentleman whose barrow-boy, chirpy-cockney persona was probably slightly better suited to that of a Club 18-30 rep, most amusingly putting his foot on the scales when weighing one of our cases and informing us that it was 20 kilos over-weight. How we laughed! Once the hilarity subsided, we gratefully took our boarding passes and Clubhouse invites and rather wearily headed for the comparative sanctuary of the Hiltons executive lounge and a brace of G & Ts.

Up bright and early the following morning with the kind of background hangover which is the trademark of most airport hotel stays and quickly up to security where, as always seems to be the case for us, Fast-track failed, rather dramatically, to live up to its billing. When we finally reached the front of the slow-moving queue, matters werent helped by the staffs insistence that the push chair be collapsed into unruly hang-glider mode and forced through the x-ray machine. This was the fifth time wed flown with it in tow, and on all previous occasions security had pulled us to one side and quickly checked it over by hand. The reason for this became a little more apparent when, most amusingly, it stuck half way through the machine, needing some frantic flicking of the conveyor forward/reverse switch and the (I imagine now slightly irradiated) leg of one of the security staff to release it. Thankfully it came out in one piece, was changed from unruly hang-glider back to its deceptively innocuous push chair mode, and in the blink of an eye we were presenting ourselves at the Clubhouse.

Mrs. mdvipond immediately whisked herself off for her haircut, whilst mdvipond jr. and I settled down for some breakfast (me: bacon sarnie, jr.: almond & orange yoghurt). I have to say the service was exemplary, especially as jr. was playing up just a tad a standard reaction to being fed by me and not her mother. A truly marvellous member of CH staff (Scottish and kindly to a fault) ensured I was sarnied up, with a nice espresso and a plentiful supply of napkins for removing almond & orange yoghurt from jr., her push chair, me and the shoe-polishing guy. Mrs. mdvipond returned, all coiffed to perfection, and we spent a pleasant half hour perusing the Telegraph (you can never get it on the plane) and sneaking a last ciggie.

We decided to head for the gate a little early (advisable when travelling with little ones) and were presented with a baggage trolley by Kindly Scottish Lady to help us with the hang-glider a really nice touch, and greatly appreciated. After saying our goodbyes to all in the Clubhouse we toddled off toward the gate to find English Rose waiting for us. Priority boarding was in full effect, we were relieved of the hang-glider and quickly boarded, taking up residence in 6A & K. As wed boarded early there was only one couple in UC at this point, with no one yet in 8, so there was no problem stowing our hand luggage (for the uninitiated, there arent any overhead bins for rows 6 or 7).

Champagne was delivered as jr. was being strapped to her mother for take off and I settled down with my standard travelling companions of novel, newspaper and Bose headphones. The UC cabin quickly filled up, and we were pushed-back and off more or less on time.

Seat belt signs were switched off pretty quickly and I was soon in possession of a Tanqueray No. 10 and tonic, perusing the selection of movies on offer. I plumped for a comedy about a guy who used to be fat and nice and bullied at high school in New Jersey, but then got thin and rich and nasty when he moved to LA, then came back and met the girl he fancied at school, blah, blah. Pretty pants sort of film, really, but when breakfast essentially comprises of a bacon sandwich, two glasses of champagne and a G & T youd be amazed what I can find amusing, and I loved every minute of it.

Lunch orders were taken amidst my hard-stare-inducing guffaws; Mrs. mdvipond went for soup and salmon as a main, I went for soup and the curry. Now, I have been pretty hard on VS over the last year or so with regard to their so-called J class fare (the food, not the price of a ticket) and having read a few recent trip reports had relatively high hopes for the new menu. The soup was good, and hot, and the usual selection of breads were nice. My curry was really very good, the rice well cooked and the chicken pretty moist. Mrs. mdvipond enjoyed her salmon, but said that as an upgrade from a starter to a main it seemed they added more salad rather than more salmon. The wines were decent (cant remember which we had), and topped up generously more than once. I finished off with the rhubarb crumble which was, as they say, to die for. All in all, a definite improvement on our last two flights, although Im still left wondering if VS food is back up there with the best of the best when it comes to business class dining.

Lunch and film complete, I took myself and jr. for a little sojourn down the back. No one at all in any of the downstairs PE seats, and about two-thirds full in Y. Stopped by quite a few crew on our wander who, rather disappointingly, seemed much more interested in jr. than yours truly. She was, as ever, good as gold, beaming and cooing on demand. In fact this was the case throughout the flight, she seemed to have time only to sleep, eat or smile. We consider ourselves (and our fellow passengers) most fortunate.

Back to 6K for the second round of films (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire very good indeed) during which the usual selection of sarnies, cakes and scones was served and duly gobbled up. Most enjoyable. Treated myself to another glass of wine and lost myself in the film.

We had time for one last trip to the back-and-back before we started our descent into BGI, which was pleasingly uneventful, with jr. sleeping throughout. Landed a little early, and we were off and hot footing across the shimmering tarmac in no time. There was no real queue to mention at immigration and our bags and unruly hang-glider were off quite quickly and in the safe hands of one of the red cap chaps.

Our driver was waiting for us at arrivals, and told us to wait kerbside whilst he brought the car, which gave me time for a cig, thank god. Before long, a taxi pulled up in front of us and looked like it might be ours, so we started getting our bags together. The passenger door slid open and, to a certain level of amazement on our part, out stepped Sir Richard Branson. This, I said to Mrs. mdvipond, is what I call service. Unfortunately, it seemed that the big man was not collecting the lowly mdvipond family, but his own son and daughter whod been sat behind us on the plane. Not to worry, our taxi arrived right behind theirs and thanks to the fact that SRBs son seemed to be setting up his own unruly hang-glider dealership (or he could have been going surfing) we were loaded and on our way before they were. Good flight, enjoyed the food and jr. behaved throughout.
#350627 by Scorpio
03 May 2006, 16:37
What an excellent report.

I am off doing the same in dec but luckily thanks to 'grandparents' we are leaving the wee ones at home!

We are staying st the Gatwick Hilton the evening before in a exce room (we have stayed there before but only in the family rooms) What is the exec lounge like? Is it true you get free drinks (alco of course!)
#350629 by lilyjosh0
03 May 2006, 16:47
Great trip report - I love your description of the pushchair! I can't believe that you managed to get the handbag and all contents back but it must have made it a stressful start to the journey.
#350631 by Mavrick
03 May 2006, 16:53
Excellent TR, Mdvipond thank you. [y]
#350633 by mdvipond
03 May 2006, 17:05
Originally posted by motherger
Is it true you get free drinks (alco of course!)

The Hilton exec lounge is pretty good. Comfy seating areas, free internet access and (here comes the important bit...) yes, free drinks and nibbles from 6 till 8. Don't forget, you get a seperate check in for exec rooms as well, so don't go queuing up downstairs!

Originally posted by lilyjosh0
I can't believe that you managed to get the handbag and all contents back but it must have made it a stressful start to the journey.

Just the teeniest bit stressfull, yes. Can't believe how lucky we were to get everything back. Not the first time she's done it, you know - left her passport in the toilets in JFK once upon a time, and got that back too!
#350634 by Jonathan
03 May 2006, 17:26
Great TR mdvipond,

Loved the SRB personal touch!
#350636 by Scrooge
03 May 2006, 18:00
Wow you got lucky,major [y] to BA.

All in all sounds like a great flight.

Where are you staying?
#350704 by mdvipond
03 May 2006, 22:42
Back home now, jetwet1, return trip report still to post. We stayed at the Treasure Beach Hotel on Paynes Bay. One of those places that's so nice you don't want anyone else to know about it so - Shhh, keep it under your hat [;)]
#350708 by McCoy
03 May 2006, 23:06
Fantastic TR! Thanks..
#350710 by honey lamb
03 May 2006, 23:12
Lovely TR. Thanks [y]
#350725 by Scrooge
04 May 2006, 02:00
Originally posted by mdvipond
Back home now, jetwet1, return trip report still to post. We stayed at the Treasure Beach Hotel on Paynes Bay. One of those places that's so nice you don't want anyone else to know about it so - Shhh, keep it under your hat [;)]

Will do,our little secret [:w]
#350748 by iforres1
04 May 2006, 09:25
Very entertaining TR,

Lucky result with the handbag[y]

Ah, travelling with a young one, how simple air travel becomes an expedition, an adaptation to life I am adjusting to[:D]

Been looking for a hideaway in barbados so if you don't mind I might give it a sneak look. I promise i won't tell either

Thanks
Iain
#350827 by mdvipond
04 May 2006, 15:29
Ah, travelling with a young one, how simple air travel becomes an expedition, an adaptation to life I am adjusting to

One of the reasons we're hoping to stick to just the one bundle of joy. The prospect of trying a similar trip with two or more strikes me as more daunting than a one-man walk to the North Pole!
Been looking for a hideaway in barbados so if you don't mind I might give it a sneak look. I promise i won't tell either

You could do much worse than Treasure Beach - although it will be closed from now until November. And not a word to anyone else, right? [;)]
#350880 by lynnewob
04 May 2006, 19:37
You should have handed a v-flyer card to SRB.

After the last one handed to him by another v-flyer it may show him how popular this site is - you never know who may be lurking [}:)]
#350925 by wafren
04 May 2006, 22:49
Great TR mdvipond,really enjoy it look forward to the return post[y]

we are off to Barbados in UC from MAN in Aug we are taking or kids 6 and 8 haven't told them that we are going UC we usually go PE we are staying on the west side

why dont you go from MAN ? its it club house or the flights

regards

Dave
#350931 by buns
04 May 2006, 23:01
mdivpond

Thanks for a brilliant TR[y][y]

'Fast-track' failed, rather dramatically, to live up to its billing.

That is often the case at LGW, as this is the lane used by staff taking through assisted pax - as the experience with your 'kite' demonstrated, this will inevitably lead to the lane taking longer[n]

Nice to have SRB opening doors for you[;)]

I do hope that you are able to post some pics of the little one enjoying this flight - Mrs Buns still refers back to the previous post[:D]

Thanks once again

buns
#351017 by mdvipond
05 May 2006, 12:26
Originally posted by wafren
why dont you go from MAN ? its it club house or the flights

When we first started doing BGI there were no flights from MAN, then when they were introduced they were predominantly J2000. Now the only things that make us keep trailing our arses down to LGW are the Clubhouse, being able to fly on different days of the week and Z class availibility. Next year, we may well give MAN a go...
Originally posted by buns4vs
I do hope that you are able to post some pics of the little one enjoying this flight - Mrs Buns still refers back to the previous post

Glad you liked the TR, buns. I'll have some pics to pop on this afternoon that Mrs. buns should approve of.
#351049 by G-VFAB
05 May 2006, 16:20
Did you talk to SRB then?
#351070 by mdvipond
05 May 2006, 17:22
Nah, we were struck dumb by the great man's magnificence [;)] Too shocked for words to be fair. My mum and dad had been on the same flight out as him and his mum the week before and had a really good chat with them.
#351114 by buns
05 May 2006, 21:42
Originally posted by mdvipond
Glad you liked the TR, buns. I'll have some pics to pop on this afternoon that Mrs. buns should approve of.

You are a star[y][y] I do hope that some day we will have the pleasure of flying with such a seasoned young traveller[;)]

Mrs Buns sends a very big thank you[^][^][^]

buns
#351147 by honey lamb
05 May 2006, 22:37
mdvipond jr. is just adorable [:X]
#351190 by JAT74L
06 May 2006, 03:23
Great TR MDV.

Would the nice Scottish lady happen to be Rina Docherty? Perhaps our seasoned CH bods could confirm?

Regards

John
#351655 by mdvipond
08 May 2006, 12:35
Originally posted by JAT74L
Would the nice Scottish lady happen to be Rina Docherty?

May well have been, yes...
#351684 by ChuckC
08 May 2006, 13:56
Mdvipond,
Have to say I'm quite late reading your report but have enjoyed it immensely. Have now also reviewed 'Jr.' in the Photo Gallery. What a cutie! Now I know why MrsBuns4vs was so anxious to see her little face.

Time flies so fast that I fully expect the next pictures of Jr. will be for her college graduation, or, heaven forbid, first boyfriend!

Regards and hope you enjoyed the BGI holiday.
Chuck-
#351687 by fozzyo
08 May 2006, 14:13
Great TR - thanks for sharing.

Seems like the J menu is finally getting back on track, also sounds like they are actaully starting to offer things that can be reheated properly!

Oh and great pics once again!

Mat xxx
Virgin Atlantic