Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#242576 by jamie
05 May 2006, 10:20
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
VS0027 To Orlando Florida G-VTOP

Having decided to travel to Miami via Orlando we managed to get to UC Tickets at a bargain price, in fact, _ the price of a Miami fare.. Normally, we have always travelled from LHR so was a bit sceptical about the UC service from LGW

Arrived at LGW check-in at 06.40 for the 11.15 flight. Was asked if we would like to use the self-service check in but decided to use the Upper check in area as no one was queuing up. Check in was all over and done in a couple of minutes and we were on our way to security. Got the seats I had reserved some months back and noticed from by boarding pass we were SEQ 225 &226, so a lot of people must have checked in on-line previously as we were there early. Noticed the separate VK check-in area but it was empty at that point.

Tried to use fast track as the queues were quite but was informed that fast track does not open until 7am.. It was 06.55 so we decided to join everyone else rather than wait. It didnt take long and we were soon on our way to the CH.

Registered at check-in and proceeded to confirm our treatments for 9.00am in the salon. Ordered some food, which was tasty, and a few drinks to start the holiday off. Made use of the Internet and it was soon time for our treatments. This was very good and managed to have quite a chat with the therapist. Had a facial that was great as my skin really does dry out on the flights.

Used the Internet again to check out todays turbulence forecast to see how it was looking and thankfully it looked OK.

Left the lounge to do a bit of shopping and quickly came back for a couple of drinks. Before we knew it the pre-boarding announcement was made for the VS27. Its been a long time since I was in the CH @ LGW but the lifts no-longer take you down to the monorail thingy. It didnt take 20 mins to walk as the posters suggested and we were soon in the satellite area looking at VTOP. Hurray, Oddessey for the flight. That in itself put a big smile on my face before we even boarded the aircraft.

Used the priority lane to board and was soon in the UC cabin. I was concerned that it would feel cramped with only a small number of seats but actually; it did feel more secluded and personal. Settled into 8A and had a nice cool glass of champers. Managed to get 2 sleeper suits to change into (only had 1 large size on board though) and only one other person had a sleep suit. Its a daytime flight so understandable. I just find it more comfortable in those than in my trousers and t/shirt but its personal preference I guess.

Before long the ground crew had left the aircraft and we were taxing back. Great thing with Oddessey is you can put the skymap on before the entertainment is booted up. We were just approaching Bristol when the seatbelt sign went off and I went to get changedonly to find 3 people from premium already queuing for the toilets. Was 2 queuing the other side.

Amenity kits were handed out by the FSM who introduced himself to all Upper Pax. The kits are OK but they have got a bit cheap namely the eye masks as they absolutely stank of chemicals from the plastic / fabric used. This was commented on by a few pax and noted in the flight report. If you want to get rid of the smell, leave the masks on the vent for an hour and the fumes disperse a bit! Cufflinks all round for everyone today as well.

Had the salad to start (I think) and Chicken Tikka Massala followed by the crumble. Was excellent. Partner tried the English wine (I didnt even know we made wine!) and I stuck to the chardonnay. Spent _ an hour at the bar but didnt want to stay any longer so as not to disturb those in seats 10/11.

Flight was uneventful, routing was out to Cork, then basically over to NY routing southwards to MCO.. or something like that. No turbulence too which was a bonus!

Managed a couple of hours sleep after which I was hungry again, so asked for the Sausage and Mash! It was the last one left (I had seen 2 crew tucking into a curry earlier in the flight, dont blame them though, It was nice). Should have looked at my watch as we were 2 hours from arrival and before I knew it I was asked if I wanted anything else. Luckily, I knew what this meant afternoon tea! Needless to say I was very full when we landed!

Arrived at gate 81 and immigration were just clearing the last of the Manchester arrivals. Of course, the queue we got in had to be slow. Our immigration officer was processing 1 pax compared to an average of 3 to his colleagues. However, he must have been the nicest, chattiest immigration officer I have met. Thought I might have had problems getting in as VS @ JFK never removed my green departure slip when I left in Jan. I did send them off to the US and luckily there were no problems.

Then queued up for secondary screening but thankfully, as there were so many people waiting to get through the TSA basically waived us straight through to the shuttle. They did make sure no one even tried to wander off and before we knew it we were picking our bags up and heading for the hotel.

Stayed the night in MCO Hyatt hotel and had a runway facing room with balcony, of course, had the pleasure of watching 3 744s depart. A great end to a great outbound trip. Was awake early the next day and we had driven down to MIA by 10.00am and on the beach by 11.

Flight was much better than expected. Had a good FSM and good crew. Will be giving feedback to VS as most people only give feedback when they are unhappy and they really did make a difference to the flight. T/R for return flight to follow.
#350994 by slimey_c
05 May 2006, 10:29
Great TR, thanks [y]

Glad to hear I'm not alone in checking Turbulence reports! I always do this if possible the day before.[:I]
#351003 by HighFlyer
05 May 2006, 10:37
Fab TR Jamie, glad you had a great flight! .. and a decent Immigration guy to boot! On my last entry to the US (IAD) i had possibly the nicest chap ever, he talked to me about the Spice Girls and all sorts of things for a good 10 minutes - i was shell shocked!

Look forward to reading your return!

Thanks,
Sarah
#351008 by David
05 May 2006, 11:21
Originally posted by HighFlyer
he talked to me about the Spice Girls and all sorts of things

Now there's a worry [:0]

David.
#351153 by buns
05 May 2006, 22:44
Jamie

Thanks for a superb TR[y][y]

I do like reading the LGW - MCO TRs as they bring back fond memories[;)]

Then queued up for secondary screening but thankfully, as there were so many people waiting to get through the TSA basically waived us straight through to the shuttle. They did make sure no one even tried to wander off and before we knew it we were picking our bags up and heading for the hotel.

This is interesting, when I was at MCO back in March the secondary screening was not being utilised and a 'sterile channel' was created to the shuttle in order that incoming and outgoing pax did not mix.

Perhaps MCO are trying variations on a theme.

Thanks once again

buns
#351174 by hmvs_dog
05 May 2006, 23:42
Great TR Jamie, Thanks [y]

I'm on the very same flight in about 4 weeks time and have made arrangements to arrive at the airport at about the same time. What do they say about great minds? [:?][:D]
#351419 by jamie
07 May 2006, 11:21
I guess it was a sort of 'sterile channel'. 5 TSA agents standing opposite each other and we walked between them to the shuttle. About 50 @ a time.
#351420 by andy.g
07 May 2006, 11:40
Excellent TR jamie and great pics. Do you have a link for checking turbulance forecast as I didn't know about it[y]
#351462 by Richard28
07 May 2006, 14:34
Thanks for the TR, brings back memories of my trip last year [y]

always nice to have some pictures in a TR too - good job!
#351493 by rcslt
07 May 2006, 16:44
Originally posted by buns4vs
Jamie

Thanks for a superb TR[y][y]

I do like reading the LGW - MCO TRs as they bring back fond memories[;)]

This is interesting, when I was at MCO back in March the secondary screening was not being utilised and a 'sterile channel' was created to the shuttle in order that incoming and outgoing pax did not mix.

Perhaps MCO are trying variations on a theme.

Thanks once again

buns

This happened to me in March this year, it did seem to be a waste of time because if I wanted to mix with outgoing passengers I would just stay on the monorail and come right back to the departure gates.
#351768 by Jonathan
08 May 2006, 21:10
Your TR was a great read Jamie,
the pics of the LGW clubhouse reminded me that I've not been there in ages!! Was the shoe shine guy around - hes always great to have a chat with!
Virgin Atlantic