Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#242662 by neilh123
08 May 2006, 15:34
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
The flight (VS043 to Vegas) was scheduled for 10:45 Monday morning but I didnt want to risk the morning rush hour so I booked us in to the Hilton. I booked a triple room on the internet through bluedog who seem to be the cheapest at the time. After my stay here last time I thought food would be taken off the premises and in the nearby wetherspoons - I was astonished but the Hilton charges 19.95 for breakfast, continental I think so that would have been 60 for the 3 of us! Instead we breakfasted in the Wetherspoons for 15 all in.
The flight was about half hour delayed pushback approx 11.15 but Captain said we would make up the lost time. Flight was about 1/3 empty so soon after doors closed I bagged a row of bulkheads and the row behind to have some sleep during the flight.
IFE was ok watched Narnia so did my son who thoroughly enjoyed himself. I thought the food was good and noticed they have resumed glasses for the wine. I thought the service was good but my wife thought one of the crew was a bit surly we all have our off days!
Flight smooth but did watch imap to see when we would hit the coast of Greenland did my belt up just in case but in the end a non event so took belt off again.
Im amazed how large the US is. Looked at imap and just outside Winnipeg and still 1900 mile to Vegas.
Landing a bit bumpy coming in for final descent but was a bit windy when we landed so that would explain it.
Through immigration but this time index fingers and photo taken for Homeland security database. How safe are the details and are they erased at some point?
Picked up bags and taxi to Flamingo for 5 night stay before departure to Santa Barbara with America West.
[:D] Rgds.
#351697 by fozzyo
08 May 2006, 15:43
Cool TR - thanks for sharing.

That always gets me too whenever I go to the US, just how massively huge it is!!

Mat xxx
#351760 by Jonathan
08 May 2006, 20:50
Thanks Neil - I hope you dont loose too much in Vegas!
I'm due to return as ive not been in years!!
#351766 by Richard28
08 May 2006, 21:02
Originally posted by neilh123
I was astonished but the Hilton charges £19.95 for breakfast, continental I think so that would have been £60 for the 3 of us! Instead we breakfasted in the Wetherspoons for £15 all in.

£20 for breakfast - what a rip off!!

I wonder how many people order breakfast in bed without realising the cost!!
Originally posted by neilh123

Flight smooth but did watch imap to see when we would hit the coast of Greenland Ð did my belt up just in case but in the end a non event so took belt off again.

I always keep my seat belt fastened throughout the flight. I have absolutely no problem flying but you do hear those rare stories of clear air turbulence 'better be safe than sorry' as they say!

Thanks for the TR!
#351769 by Nottingham Nick
08 May 2006, 21:10
Thanks for the TR, Neil.

I have just looked at bluedog compared to Holiday Extras, I am not sure if they use the same database, as the prices they quote appear identical. [?][?]

I agree with Richard28 ... £60 for continental breakfast for three... no thanks. [n][n]

Nick
#351852 by declansmith
09 May 2006, 01:08
Always served wine from glass glasses in Economy for meal service.
#351892 by easygoingeezer
09 May 2006, 13:13
Price structure in hilton is strange, example. Two white wine Spritzers £19.80
or one bottle of house white £12 ( same bottle they make the spritzer ) and one lge bottle of sparkling h20 £3.

Also one expertly made Long Island Iced Tea, yum, which includes every white spirit under the sun, same price as one spritzer.
#352267 by neilh123
11 May 2006, 16:55
Thanks everyone who enjoyed reading my TR and for all of you who responded.
My advice for using the Hilton is it is great for location - no shuttle required but just don't eat and drink there!
Regarding the wine glasses - I flew to Vegas in Sep 2002 and no glasses were served because of 9/11 so I was told? Looks like there not considered a lethal weapon anymore[:(]

Rgds.
#352400 by andy.g
12 May 2006, 01:10
Good TR neilh. I stayed at Hilton myself on one occasion and fully agree with you[:)]
Virgin Atlantic