Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#242740 by jstw
12 May 2006, 13:18
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Hi there my first TR, this was my first VS flight ever, it was last october. Well here we go.

We checked in edinburgh for our whole flight EDI-LHR-JFK, check in was very queit in EDI, we had an excellent flight to LHR, after arriving in LHR my 3rd time their, i noticed how busy the place was [:0], we arrived at the flight connection centre and stood in a huge que for the bus to T3, we arrived in T3 departures and had about 3hours to spare, I always like my connections to have a big gap, just in case.

We walked about the duty free, but didn't buy anything. I had a lovely cheese and ham bagel at bagel street. I read my magazine and watched brum on the plasma's, ahh brum!! I walked about the terminal down to the very end of the pier where alot of VS planes were, but i was worried i couldn't walk back but i could [oo], eventually we made our way to the gate at the begining of the pier, I had never flew out of a gate like this before, i was thinking there were no seats to wait then after we went thru what i thought was the gate to the plane we sat in a room for what seemed for ages, we were called up to the desk and asked a few questions, and had our passports swiped, what was this about! Eventually it was time to board our flight, i was really excited wondering if we were to get v:port, i noticed the plane was a 744, but that's all i didn't take the name or code.

Once we got on the plane we went through PE, which looked quite nice, then into out cabin, the seats looked very narrow, but i think that it;s because there quite tall?? But we took our seats in ??D+E, the flight was very surprisingly dead, prob less than a 1/4 full, so only us in the four nice becuase we got extra blankets!! And seats to put our bags on. The person made an announcement saying wellcome etc.. talking about the flight and when the 'Award winning IFE' would be turned on, i was now happy that we had v:port. Shortly after we were pushing back and the fun to watch safety demo came on, virgin should win an award for that, people actually watch it because it's funny, especially when the parent pulls back the elastic on the oxygen masks for the kid and it makes that whack sound!! Soon after we were in the horrible LHR que for the runway.

Soon after we were in the air, i found the seats fairly comfy and the leg room was good, people started moving around seats. The skynews came on which seemed to take for ever then v:port!! Oh dear, I was extremely dissapointed, it wasn't working properly in our section, only about 20 movies were showing and they played when they wanted to, tv programmes: none!! And other features such as travel guides weren't working, you also couldn't pause the movies certainly not AVOD! I knew it was a one of problem as I flew back on a A346 which was working spoton! Anyway around came the meal i had the BBQ chicken, it was delicous, and the choc ch/cake, yum!! I was getting really annoyed at the IFE, i pressed the call button, and the lovely CC came round and was very apolagetic, saying that that's not usuall there should be about 50 movies, lots of tv programmes so she rebooted the seat a couple times but nothing, oh well [n] The drinks were frequant but i forgot the obvious when ordering a coke, it will be virgin cola!! I did get use to it tho. We also got some sweets aswell, v.nice touch!

I watched some of the working travel features for our destination NY, also this man sitting in H came over and spoke to us about NY he was a local. Soon we were making our decent into JFK, I couldn't see anything because of where we were sitting. As we landed the man we were talking to got up to go to the toilet while we were landing [^] he got yelled at by the CC[:D].

We got of the plane quickly and speed walked to immagration after the CC telling us ques can be huge, we got there to find one person in the line we laughed to ourselves. After all the fingerprinting etc we got thru and turned back to see 00's of people queing [8D]. We got to the baggage re-claim and waited 20mins for our luggage[n], of we went to get our yellow cab to NYC.
#352600 by shazam
13 May 2006, 09:43
Hi JSTW welcome to V-Flyer and thanks for the TR (good level of detail since it was a flight last October!)

Do you have plans for any more VS flights? I hope the problems with the IFE didn't put you off [:)]

Thanks

S
#352610 by jstw
13 May 2006, 11:48
No the IFE did annoy me but the return journey, on a A346 had V:port working brilliantly, and it was fab! I plan to fly EDI/GLA-LHR-JFK spend a few days in NY (i love that place!) then fly some where in the carribian, stay for a week then fly back to the UK. Unfortunatly all carrabian flights with VS go into LGW/MAN [:$]
#352620 by iforres1
13 May 2006, 13:20
Thanks for posting an Econ TR, a recent subject of some debate on the forum recently.
Ah, the quite oasis that is T3 at LHR[:0]. I flew from their for my first time in March and I was shocked at how busy it was.

Pity about v-port not working as it should.

Thanks for the posting and make sure you keep on board[;)]

Iain
#352622 by McCoy
13 May 2006, 13:37
T3.. check-in and departures.. my visual and aural idea of hell!

I long for the day where UC pax get limo'd all the way to the aircraft on the tarmac, bypassing everything in the terminal, ten minutes before take-off.. :)))
#352627 by honey lamb
13 May 2006, 15:03
Originally posted by McCoy
I long for the day where UC pax get limo'd all the way to the aircraft on the tarmac, bypassing everything in the terminal, ten minutes before take-off.. :)))

Ten minutes before take-off? God, no! There'd be no room in the overhead bins for the carry-ons! [:0]

Nice TR, jstw. Thanks [y]
#352757 by ny
14 May 2006, 17:56
good tr most of us fly in this class so its good to know what its really like.
#354912 by Jon B
27 May 2006, 12:56
Brought back memories of my last trip to NY......

Nice TR from the back of the bus [y]
Virgin Atlantic