Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#242957 by karnsculpture
22 May 2006, 11:41
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This was my first Virgin flight and my first time to Japan so I was very excited about the whole thing. I am pleased to report that I have not been disappointed at all.

We go to LHR on the 7.55am BMI flight from Teesside. The flight was delayed by ATC at Teesside and London but still managed to land in quite good time. Ian Botham was on the flight which was funny as he had been on my last BMI flight over a year before. He must live somewhere near Teesside and commute (?).

We had checked our bags through to Tokyo so just had hand luggage to take from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3. We were surprised to be waved through a security check by a bored looking lady, annoying as I had taken the trouble to get my metal thingies out in advance. After that we went through to the Virgin T3 check in desk. Male and female staff at the head of the queue told us that we did not need to see the check in staff as Teesside had given us our Virgin boarding cards. There was a minor panic when it was thought we had not been given luggage claim tags but it turned out they had been stuck to a leaflet about the flight connections centre rather than the tickets. The virgin staff were great and gave us directions to the T3 shops and restaurants. We only had 90 minutes or so to kill so went for an early lunch (it was about 11am by now) at TGI Fridays. I had battered shrimps - lovely. While eating, I noticed I had lost my coat - I had dropped it outside the restaurant. Lucky it was still there.

At about 11.45am the bording gate was announced and we headed down. I can not remember which it was but it was one of the furthest away from the shops! On arrival there was one more quick check of boarding cards and passports with Virgin staff before we were through and able to see Varga Girl waiting for us to board.

About the passengers: I would say that the flight had 75 percent Japanese passengers. This was not surprising as it was the end of the Golden Week of public holidays, during which time a lot of people take trips abroad. The plane was probably full. There were a lot of FA's onboard. One of the British FA's in my cabin was clearly on her first trip on this route as she was getting advice on how to address the Japanese passengers. She seemed experienced and professional in her duties, but her Japanese accent was rather London!

We were in seats 35A and 35C, which is at the front of the economy section. I had the window seat and could easily see out of two windows, giving me views in front and behind the wing. That gets a big thumbs up from me [y] as I enjooy watching the flaps change during take off and landing. The V:Port box was not too big at all and the leg room was fine. I am 6 foot 2 and still had an inch or so space. There were problems in the reclined position, with my knees against the seat in front, but I was never uncomfortable. V:Port was superb. I must have played Tetris for about 5 hours of the flight on and off!

The problem we did have with space was the seat width. Both me and the OH are overweight and it was snug to say the least! I didn't mind and as the V:Port control can be removed from the handset there were no issues with accidentally changing channels etc. Seat 35A also has some space on the window side and the window is at the right level to rest your elbow.

The flight took off slightly late due to air traffic issues but had been early to push back from the gate. Take off was smooth and the FA's were very quick to get to work. We had a snack and drink first, then shortly after V:Port started they were round with the main meal. There was a choice of Bangers & mash (which I had - lovely), Japanese bento box, Vegetarian ravioli and Teriyaki chicken, which the OH had. To help out the FA's, they each had a little card with the options written in English and Japanese. Our FA was Japanese and we tried to talk to her in the language. She was very kind and after making her laugh I noticed I got an extra large vodka portion in my 'brudy maly'.

In 35C you are one of the first economy passengers to be served but I heard that further down the cabin they ran out of the Japanese food options.

After the food service was all done it took a while for the trays to be collected but this was understandable as the plane was full to bursting. The flight then settled down and most people seemed to sleep or watch movies. I am an active type though so was up and down quite a bit. I swapped into 35C and left the OH to sleep. I went down to the galley quite a lot and had some chats with other passengers who were hanging out there. It seemed there were only a couple of kids on the flight and there was a little hyperactive Japanese lad who was hilarious and seemed fascinated by my 'huge' feet and kept standing on them. His mum (also hanging out in the galley area) was apologetic but he was so funny I didn't mind at all.

Walking up and down the plane I noted that the most popular movie seemed to be 'Memoirs of a Geisha'.

The flight was pretty smooth with a bit of minor turbulence over Scandanavia about 2 hours in and then nothing until we were over Japan - where it is expected due to the mountains.

We had an ice cream sometime later into the flight, then breakfast as it was about 7am in Japan. The landing was smooth and I managed to see a couple of mountains peek out from under the clouds on the way. No views of Tokyo as the airport is so far away from the city and the cloud was low. The plane landed nearly 30 minutes early, beating the arrival from KLM which meant that immigration and customs were a breeze. The queues for Japanese were horrendous but us lucky Gaijin were through well before the bags came around the carousel. Miracle - our bags were together and off the carousel almost straight away - we were the first to customs and straight out to the arrivals area. The airport was very quiet and we made the first Limousine Bus (actually a coach) that was due to leave for our hotel in the next 25 minutes. The stop was literally outside the Arrivals exit so we had some tme to stretch our legs and have our first go at one of the many vending machines. The Limousine Bus service into the city was quick and will drop you off at or near your hotel, avoiding all those stairs on the subway - I highly recommend it.

I loved Japan and would go back right now if I had the opportunity. It was a dream. I would recommend it to anyone as a holiday destination - there is so much to do and see, the people are lovely, the shopping is brilliant and the food is varied, cheap and plentiful. Japan seemed cheap compared to the UK in fact. Anyway, this is getting OT, I'll post about the hotel and return journey etc elsewhere!

Thanks to Virgin for making my first flight a good one
[:D][:D]
#354042 by mitchja
22 May 2006, 11:49
Excellent TR thanks [y]

Glad your first VS flight was a good one [:)]

I so want to visit NRT. It's on my list!!!!

Regards
#354043 by Nottingham Nick
22 May 2006, 11:50
Excellent TR, thanks. [y][y]

It is always good to read Y reports .. especially detailed and positive ones, like this. [y][y]

If you do post your impressions of Japan elsewhere, I will look forward to reading them. Tokyo is a 'must do' for our Great Escapade next year.

Thanks again.

Nick
#354045 by HighFlyer
22 May 2006, 11:57
Fantastic TR [y] Many thanks for sharing, glad you had a great flight!

NRT has been on my wishlist for a very long time, so please do share your thoughts and experiences as im sure many of us on here will enjoy reading them

Thanks,
Sarah
#354055 by jaguarpig
22 May 2006, 12:32
Thanks top report, hope to be back to NRT later this year.
#354060 by AndyK
22 May 2006, 13:07
Cheers for the TR, nice to read some more economy TRs!
#354066 by karnsculpture
22 May 2006, 13:55
Thanks for the positive response [:)] I will write more about NRT in the return journey report as we had more time to look around. I also took a few photos so will post them in the gallery later today.

Best wishes

Paul
#354071 by fozzyo
22 May 2006, 14:30
Great TR - thanks for sharing that. Tokyo is on Dean's list of places to visit at the moment, he can't decide between Tokyo or Miami. We did Hong Kong this year and thought that was the future, I suspect Tokyo is even more a glimpse of the future!

Just been looking through the photos on your linked sites - looks like an even more fantastic place then I'd imagined to visit.

As somebody who can only speak English and a teeny tiny bit of Welsh what is it like for non japenese speakers to visit?

Thanks
Mat xxx
#354081 by karnsculpture
22 May 2006, 15:03
I only speak a little Japanese and only read enough to recognise important signs. There were no problems in Tokyo - all of the signs in stations and on the street are in Japanese and English. Most people in shops etc know enough basic English to help you out if you get stuck or lost. Learning some basic Japanese will help you out a lot though. It is less frightening than it seems - several phrases can be memorised and used in a lot of situations e.g. 'sumimasen' can mean sorry, or can be used to ask for assistance/attention, or to get people out of the way on crowded subway trains.

I found Japanese people and society to be rather British in an ideal world kind of way - people are respectful, the drivers seem to follow the rules, they drive on the left, everything seems to make sense. I felt quite at home. Tokyo is wierd though because it is huge yet has all of the different areas each of which seems like a small town. There is a surprising amount of greenery too. The pavements are clean and tidy and they have high employment because there is always someone doing something useful like vacuuming the stairs in stations with a 'Ghostbusters' style back pack, or pruning the trees which are everywhere. We could learn a lot from the Japanese.

TTFN

Paul
#354082 by tallprawn
22 May 2006, 15:11
Thanks very much for your insight!!!

I amazed to find that you thought Japan was cheaper than the UK for food etc..... I found it really expensive to eat, drink, get around and do pretty much anything!!!!! [:0]

It is a great place, if it's on your wish list - Fastrack it straight to the top. [:D]

Glad you managed to have a good time at the right price! [y]
#354108 by karnsculpture
22 May 2006, 16:44
I think Japan could be expensive but just like how the UK can be expensive if you eat at the top restaurants and always use cabs rather than public transport. I think the UK has got so expensive that it has caught up with Japan in terms of cost.

One cost you can not avoid is for accomodation; ours at the Shiba park (lovely hotel, if a bid aged now - good sized room with fancy toilet etc) cost the same as it would in London for a comparable room in the Comfort Inn at the London Eye or in Kensington.

TTFN

Paul
#354136 by Richard28
22 May 2006, 18:34
Thanks for the TR - glad you had a great trip.

like many others here it seems, Japan is high on my wishlist too, and is pencilled as a possible for next year....
#354163 by Lipstick
22 May 2006, 20:58
Good TR - but why did you land yourselves?
#354170 by karnsculpture
22 May 2006, 21:48
Why did we land ourselves? I'm not sure what you mean. [?]
#354188 by Wolves27
22 May 2006, 23:33
Great TR karnsculpture.

Its definitely wetted my appetite for a future trip.
Its always good to know how people have got on there as there seems so many misconceptions about how hard/difficult it is to get around and be understood.

cheers!

Dean
#354285 by Lipstick
23 May 2006, 20:22
Originally posted by karnsculpture
Why did we land ourselves? I'm not sure what you mean. [?]

Why did you go through immigration and customs? From what it sounds like in your report you went to T3 main bank check in.

Just wondering why when it's the long way round!
#354307 by karnsculpture
23 May 2006, 21:42
Oh I see what you mean. We followed the signs for Flight Connections and then took the bus from T1 to T3. The Virgin desks were just there when we rounded a corner. I don't think we went landside at all.

Best wishes

Paul
#354325 by buns
23 May 2006, 22:16
Paul

Thanks for providing a very informative insight on a rout that does not often feature in TRs[y][y][y]

Nice to hear that all went smoothly - it is clear you appraoched the flight with an open mind and few pre-conceived ideas, so you ended up not being disappointed. To my mind that is the way to do it.
Virgin Atlantic