Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#242961 by jilly
22 May 2006, 14:15
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Had originally booked PE (sale fares K class). After a visit to DTD on the morning of departure I sucessfully upgraded my ticket to UC and was allocated seat 9A. The staff were in a very happy mood, around 7 of them, actually singing in the rain and had a good chat. I was told that up until that week they had been checking in around 6-700 pax per day and it was so popular that sometimes they didn't have enough staff to cover.

So straight to departure gate - no queue whatsover, the security man was the most cheerful I had met and actually walked towards me and offered to carry my hand luggage - said he didn't like to see a lady struggle (not that I was), I was through security in less than 3 minutes.

I knew the flight had around a 40 minute delay having checked the MCO website earlier in the day, this was due to the late arrival of the VS15. I spent around 30 minutes in the lounge but still managed a couple of G&Ts before the flight was called. Waited around 15 minutes at the gate but priority boarding was handled efficiently. The UC cabin had no spare seats.

I asked for a sleepsuit immediately and had just enough time to get changed and enjoy a glass of champagne before take off. Not sure of take off time but would guess it was around 60 minutes after scheduled departure.

Food - I ordered the grilled vegetables as a starter which I didn't like and a main course of fillet steak. After a while the FSM came to me to apologise that my steak had been overcooked (now was this true or had they run out?), either way I wasn't too concerned. I was given two options - either to have the chicken or he had a fillet in peppercorn sauce which he would need to cook from fresh which would take around 15 minutes. As I was watching a film (Transamerica) I decided to opt for the latter. When the steak arrived it was very fresh, very hot and definitely served with different vegetables to the other pax, would be interested to know why this was but certainly had no complaints.

I more or less finished my meal when the film ended and after gathering up some spare pillows from the downstaris PE section (which had 4 people in it) my bed was converted for me and I slept until I heard the Captain announce we were 40 minutes to landing. I had slept through breakfast but just had time to get washed and dressed and a coffee was waiting for me when I returned to my suite. The service from the CC was the best I had received for a long time on an inbound flight.

Landed around 30 minutes late at LGW but the doors were opened fairly quickly and as I had no checked luggage I rushed to Costa for a much needed Latte fix and to the delights of the Gatwick Express, tube, GNER and a taxi home. I have always managed get a lift home before but this wasn't possible, the car journey is anything from 2-3 hours depending on traffic, but public transport did it 2 hours and 20 mins.

Just another 9 days and then do it all over again!

Jilly
#354080 by tallprawn
22 May 2006, 15:01
Hi Jilly,
Sounds like you had a great trip, How did you manage to get your upgrade??? Cash only or cash and miles???

Last time I was at DTD I was fobbed off and told to speak to the ticket desk at MCO.... Glad you had more success than me!!!![:#]
#354141 by Richard28
22 May 2006, 18:45
and back again so soon!!!

you lucky thing [y]

Thanks for the TR!
#354150 by honey lamb
22 May 2006, 19:40
Nice trip report, jilly. Glad you got the upgrade.

How's your dad?
#354229 by jilly
23 May 2006, 13:37
Originally posted by tallprawn
Hi Jilly,
Sounds like you had a great trip, How did you manage to get your upgrade??? Cash only or cash and miles???

Last time I was at DTD I was fobbed off and told to speak to the ticket desk at MCO.... Glad you had more success than me!!!![:#]

I think the fact that it was so quiet at DTD may have played a part. In order to upgrade they have to call the ticket desk at the airport and it did take around 15 minutes to do.

Christine - thanks for asking about my dad. He's much better now but unfortunately can't travel for the forseeable future.

Jilly
#354270 by VS045
23 May 2006, 18:57
Thanks jilly[:D][y]

VS.
Virgin Atlantic