Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#243003 by Howard Long
24 May 2006, 18:31
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
I checked in at 23:59:00 hours before the flight online and Id already seen that this was going to be a pretty full flight up front.

On the Limobike, traffic into LHR from Canary Wharf was not good, taking in excess of an hour. As I arrived in Heathrow it was clear that most of the staff of the airport had taken their lunch on top of the various short stay car parks to see the A380 arrive.

At the drive thru check in, everything went smoothly, and even the security line was only about five minutes, although an American accent in the queue stated without any reasons given 'you'll never get me on one of those things' referring to the A380. Gotta say it, just like Concorde, sometimes our friends on the western side of the Atlantic do seem to love sour grapes!

I hurried around to where the A380 was parked: it was obvious where it was as you could see a huge movement airside in T3 of Heathrow staff wearing their reflective tarbards either heading in that direction, or heading back with their cellphones sending their A380 pictures to their friends. You couldn't get closer than about 75 yards of the gate where their were speeches being given to the throng of those gathered. I took a few pictures from inside the terminal but they weren't too great as the jetway was hiding the front 1/3 of the aircraft. I also saw where the new Emirates lounge is being constructed, a welcome change to the awfully utilitarian United lounge EK use now.

After this brief excitement I went to the Clubhouse and took the stairs upto the garden to see if I could get a better view, but sadly it wasn't possible to see in that direction. There was a new Jaguar parked up in the garden, but I couldn't figure out how they got it up there.

Had a brief struggle with the WiFi in the lounge and then had to call the WiFi provider as it dropped out, so it took quite some time to upload few crummy A380 pics I had.

I had a Rhinestone cowboy treatment, but sadly I don't think I'm designed to take a cut throat shave: I broke out in a face full of zits over the next couple of days. I dont ever remember it being that bad be

The hottub was out of action, so I'm afraid that the masochists amongst you will have to wait for some more photos of yours truly semi-naked. While taking a shower my flight was called. Despite arriving at LHR three hours before my flight, it's still not enough time - I didn't even get the chance to get a drink or anything to eat in the Clubhouse.

Boarding was good as there was no queue when I got to the gate. I went straight up the stairs and took my seat in 3K. I got changed into a sleepsuit before takeoff and took a glass of Champagne. As they were refuelling and things were dragging on with no indication of when wed push back I wondered back to the galley and retrieved a glass of orange.

There was an ATC failure in the Manchester area so as everyone had chosen that route today we had to sit on the tarmac for an hour before taking off. Twelve minutes after takeoff the IFE was switched on, not bad, although I have yet to discover why some carriers like EK are able have the IFE on all the way from boarding to disembarking.

The IFBT came around and introduced herself. I explained that the last two times Id requested a treatment on board (and was willing to be awakened) I hadnt been successful and neither had I been offered a priority card. She assured me that if I didnt get lucky this time Id certainly get a card. Sadly I neither had a treatment nor received a card for the third time.

Service seemed to take an age to start. I had a glass of Champagne to begin with (with pretzels that turned out to be Twiglets yummy) and inevitably had to go back for a fill up. Despite it looking a rather miniscule portion when Id noticed it in the galley earlier, I ordered the smoked salmon with horseradish sauce for a starter, and the bangers and mash (with an English mustard option) for main. The menu descriptions were far more flowery than Ive just given.

Mmm... Twiglets

The tray arrived, and yet again no salt and pepper pots, being replaced with sachets. But metal knives and forks! Hurray!

Where did those cruet sets go - again?

Well I have got to say that food is really, really looking up on VS. The hot smoked salmon was superb: very tasty indeed especially with the horseradish sauce. I had this at first with the white English bacchus, to be honest more as an experiment than anything else. Its similar to a sauvignon blanc but more aromatic. I also tried the youngish Australian oaked chardonnay but this just was not my favourite at all. There was an Italian white (a Soave) also available but I astonishingly I liked the English bacchus white so much that went back to it.

Finally the food is improving significantly on Virgin, and even better we see the return of metal cutlery

At this point I thought that my starter was going to be a one off success story, but I was surprised again in that the bangers and mash were really well flavoured, not your normal M&S style at all. Sadly I didnt get the opportunity to have a go with the English mustard, but it was still very good despite this. I tried both the Tasta 2003 Bordeaux and a French 2004 Cab-Shiraz (was either Rousillon or Languedoc). Both were good, but I favoured the Bordeaux. It was nothing particularly special but it was surprisingly drinkable considering its young age.

Possibly the best sausage and mash in the world

After the ever so disappointing cheese course (none of them would say boo to a goose), I knew I had a good chance that the rhubarb crumble might be available. In view of the fact that VS does not have desert wines on board, Id already taken the liberty of asking one of the crew if theyd mind chilling a half bottle of Willi Opitzs Opitz One. After being a little unsure at first, they very thankfully obliged. Initially I had the crumble and vanilla ice cream served separately although as the pastry was rather dry I popped the ice cream on top. The Opitz One was superb, but I had rather misjudged its match with the rhubarb crumble. It was OK but a rather less unctuous sweetie from the same region would perhaps have been a better match.

The cheese is still uninspiring

The rhubarb crumble was OK but a bit dry, the Opitz One was great, just BYOB.

I went down to the bar and finished off the Opitz there, having a chat with a couple of American chaps.

I was slightly surprised that there was no snack service later on in the flight. On landing at Newark, despite the crew clearly explaining that cell phones were out of use until we had cleared immigration and customs, half of my fellow UC decided that this didnt apply to them. So the FA had a few sharp words to say about it. I have no idea what is so important that people have to switch on their darned cell phones.

Otherwise, deplaning was fairly painless and luckily wed just missed a couple of planeloads full of non-native English speakers so immigration was a breeze.

My bag came off the carousel almost immediately, and I proceeded to the hotel for the night.

In summary, service is still rather slow upstairs and I am considering retrying the lower cabin next time. We had the odd interloper from PE using the UC loos, and nothing was done, although at the times it happened it was hardly very busy. Food and beverage has definitely improved substantially, reflecting my long held belief that trying to reheat fancy things in the air is generally going to end in disaster. Sticking to things that are known to work well on reheating, and still maintaining taste, is the order of the day proven by this experience. The wine on offer from Berry Bros & Rudd was certainly interesting and I enjoyed having my eyes opened, although I am unsure as to whether some of the slightly unconventional bottles on offer would necessarily appeal to a wider audience.
#354446 by Nottingham Nick
24 May 2006, 19:31
Many thanks for the comprehensive report, Howard. [y]
It really is lacking the spa photograph, that made us laugh last time. [}:)][;)]

You do seem unlucky with the on board treatments.. three times wothout a priority card.. if they are still giving them out... is a bit much [:(!]

Glad to hear that, in your judgement, the food in UC is looking up, that was a theme of UC TRs, not too long ago.

Thanks again.

Nick
#354494 by lots@lhr
24 May 2006, 21:14
It's nice to hear someone else likes English wines. was it Chapel down bacchus reserve?
#354506 by jaguarpig
24 May 2006, 21:27
I'd already taken the liberty of asking one of the crew if they'd mind chilling a half bottle of Willi Opitz's Opitz One.

[oo]
what no Ch‰teau d'Yquem[:D]

Thanks Howard,I do hope BA have a good couple of bottles loaded on Friday night.Have a good trip.
#354510 by HighFlyer
24 May 2006, 21:29
Fantastic TR Howard! Really enjoyed your musings - and loved the lined up Reds on your dinner plate! Fab!

Thanks,
Sarah
#354548 by ny
24 May 2006, 22:37
Great tr, I always enjoy your trs[^]
#354564 by Howard Long
24 May 2006, 23:05
Originally posted by jaguarpig
I'd already taken the liberty of asking one of the crew if they'd mind chilling a half bottle of Willi Opitz's Opitz One.

[oo]
what no Ch‰teau d'Yquem[:D]

Thanks Howard,I do hope BA have a good couple of bottles loaded on Friday night.Have a good trip.

Hope they do for you. I think in First they've switched back to Sauternes from the great Opitz they had a few months ago.

I also had a half of 1990 Mission Haut Brion and a half of 1990 Corton Charlemagne ready to go, but as I quickly realised that just getting one half bottle opened for me was going to be tricky I didn't really want to take advantage of the situation!

Howard
#354583 by buns
24 May 2006, 23:33
Howard

thnakls for a truly excellent TR[y][y][y]

On the Limobike, traffic into LHR from Canary Wharf was not good, taking in excess of an hour

I take my hat off to you - being a pillion passenger across Central London takes some courage[^][^][^]

Thnaks for the pics - being at LHR on the historic day is worthing capturing and the ones of the meal are superb.

buns
#354787 by Howard Long
26 May 2006, 12:25
Originally posted by buns4vs
I take my hat off to you - being a pillion passenger across Central London takes some courage[^][^][^]

Thnaks for the pics - being at LHR on the historic day is worthing capturing and the ones of the meal are superb.

I quite enjoy the journey on the Limobike, although I have to admit that the number of folks I see coming of their bikes on my daily commute between South Ken and Canary Wharf these days keeps me firmly on four wheels as a general rule.

The meal pics are from an old history of posting on Airlinemeals.net - if you have time on your hands you'll see a diary of my inflight dining over there, including many many BA, BD, DL, EK and VS flights over the period of about 18 months - at one point the site owner said I was the biggest poster on there with over 300 photos. I used to do a button mushroom count in the BA breakfasts on my commutes to Edinburgh ('ony two mushrooms today' - yes I should get out more). You also get to see my comments on the rot starting to set in at BD three or four years ago. I haven't posted on there for quite some time, as the GF has banned me. She has yet to find v-flyer ;-)

I have remembered a couple of other things about this recent flight over the past couple of days. Over the PA, an announcment came that 'as we are 1 1/4 hours from landing the bar is now closed'. I can't remember having this recently. And of course that 1 1/4 hours really meant 1 3/4 hours. I didn't really want a drink, but I did fancy a couple of the mint chocolates that had been in a basket on the bar earlier and a coffee, so I popped downstairs only to find everything had been cleared away. One of the FA's did get some choccies for me, but I felt like I would be being difficult in asking for a coffee. I am often confused as to why it needs to take so long to prepare for landing.

As I suggested, the usual 'ten minutes to landing' was really forty minutes, so the IFE was turned off with everyone twiddling their thumbs. I wonder why, when I'm sure they know they're going to be circling, why the IFE needs to be switched off so early, indeed if at all. OK, so the headsets might need to be collected, but many folks have their own these days (five out of ten of us in UC where using Bose QC2's!). If it's for safety reasons, then fine, but switch it off when we're on approach, not ages before.

Cheers, Howard
#354789 by Mavrick
26 May 2006, 12:34
Great TR, Thank you. [y] [y]
#354817 by mike-smashing
26 May 2006, 16:55
Originally posted by Howard Long
I am often confused as to why it needs to take so long to prepare for landing.

One of my pet hates about VS. They close-up and secure the cabin way too early, and when they do, it's like the shutters going down on an old British Rail buffet counter - 'Right, that's yer lot'.

Few other airlines I've travelled 'close down' the cabin a) so early, and b) in such a sudden way.

My experience of UA is that they slowly start to clear things away, sort out any landing cards and paperwork, dish out any final drinks, etc. When they get their 10 minute warning, the last service items are collected, coats dished out, and cabin finally secured (kit stowed, seats up, belts on) The service just kind of quietly 'subsides' into a secure cabin with UA. I've even been drinking coffee while we've been doing laps of the Ockham hold on UA.

With VS, everything has been put away for at least 30 minutes, and the crew have already been seated for 10 minutes, when we get to the holding fix. There's no reason (other than some process saying 'do it') to do this in a premium cabin.

Cheers,
Mike
#354838 by VS045
26 May 2006, 21:06
Fine report as ever Howard[8D]

VS.
#354909 by Jon B
27 May 2006, 12:52
Another great TR [^]
#354919 by JAT74L
27 May 2006, 17:30
Always good to read your TR's Howard and ideal just before I put the light out here in Shanghai!

VS251 in the morning.

Regards

John
#355260 by Howard Long
30 May 2006, 14:09
Originally posted by lots@lhr
It's nice to hear someone else likes English wines. was it Chapel down bacchus reserve?

Yes - sorry I took so long to come back to you. Only just came across the menu to check. It was the 2004. Looks like it retails at about seven quid a bottle. Although I've seen some rather lack lustre reviews it was a pleasant surprise for me, a nice change from the usual grassy New Zealand Marlboroughs, but still a worthy substitute.

Howard
Virgin Atlantic