Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#243047 by GatorBaiter
28 May 2006, 02:43
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
7.45am Check-in.
Only one pax in queue in front. Got busted with 10.2kg hand luggage when the limit is 6kg [:I]. I was told to check it or take some stuff out and put it in my already-rammed cases (travel light? You what?). The biggest bone of contention was my brand new laptop bought solely for the purpose of writing kids reports on the flight, so that was not going in the case. Took a few bits out and then the check-in staff put a label on and hand-wrote laptop to be carried separately [?].

Went through departures, which was very busySaturday, start of half-term, bank holiday blah blah blah. Topped up on the Chanel before heading straight for the Servisair lounge to give my new Priority Pass a whirl. It was extremely busy and I had to wait around about 5 minutes to get a decent seat! [:(!] Gate was announced just after 10am so I mooched on down to take the customary picture of the aircraft (Tinker Belle).

10.30am Sheep syndrome
VS005 was leaving at the same time and as the VS staff were making announcements for that flight, all the 007 pax scrambled for the gate. I was really miffed as gate 40 has a kind of corridor bit to get to the gangplank and once down there, people wouldnt come back. This meant that once they started boarding 007, priority boarding failed completely [:(!][V]. I got stuck behind a huge flock of sheep desperate to spend even longer than the 11 hours flight time sitting on the plane.

Eventually got upstairs to take my seat in 74K. Good seat being at the back and small PE section meant not many loiterers. Pushed back about 11.40am and took off 11.57am. Decided to avoid work for the first hour by reading Cosmo, then having lunch (roast chicken with that dodgy broccoli mash stuff but the other choices were veg ravioli or bangers and mash). Fired up the laptop with the newly-acquired Targus kit in the empower socket damn it, I really am going to be able to work all flight! Actually, I was very productive and managed to write the reports for 4 subjects for all 25 kids (only another 9 subjects to do then...groan), and also do some planning too. Oh and the other great thing about having a laptop on board? Writing the TR straight onto it rather than in a notebook and typing it up like last time yay! [y]

Wow this flight is longNY and BOS are positively rapid in comparison. Had a chat with the staff whilst having a wander, and mentioned V-Flyer. A lovely chap called Andrew took down the site address and seemed interested so possibly another new member on the way!

Ice cream came round a few hours in and a sandwich (Cajun chicken or cheese and tomato) about 6.30pm, but I declined in favour of some fruit from UC. Too healthywheres the duty free rag, maybe some Godiva is in order [}:)]. Ooh no hang on, Venice Beach, San Diego and 5 bikinis in the case to be given an airing. Steady on!

9pm
Just over Idaho according to imap, and here come more sandwichesegg mayonnaise or chicken. And the customary bar of Cadburys, which I might save for Dave as its marginally better than that Hersheys filth [:$]. Then again, maybe itll melt in the LA heat. Perhaps I ought to just eat it then....

2.50pm Landed
First off the plane and I wasnt even rushing...a bit different to the usual MCO and NYC scrums. Went through and had the flipping customs card marked again [:0] ...Dave, Im blaming you for thatwhen asked who I was going to visit I stupidly said Oh, a friend of mine in Vegas so off I went to have my bags x-rayed. Maybe it was just because I had 2 cases and a carry on sized case plus handbag for a week?!

Then I spent about 20 minutes waiting for the hotel shuttle and struggled to get the luggage up the steps, as everyone around me just turned a blind eye [V]. Finally go to the hoteland free wifior so they say [y]

Not sure how much longer I will last before[|)]

GB [:X]

Oh, and I believe that makes 666 posts [:0][}:)]
#354930 by mcmbenjamin
28 May 2006, 03:11
Glad you had a great flight over. Free WiFi is world's greatest lie :) - enjoy Vegas and all the fun
#354937 by ChuckC
28 May 2006, 10:17
Glad you enjoyed it, GB. I'm doing the same flight in about 2 hours and will report on my experience later.

Regards,
Chuck
#354939 by mike-smashing
28 May 2006, 11:00
Annoying about the carry-on issue, especially when you have a laptop.

The carry-on rules are usually 'one piece of carry-on luggage, plus a briefcase/purse/handbag'.

As the briefcase has been replaced by the laptop, I'd suggest one carry-on bag - within the weight limit, plus laptop (in a laptop bag that's not crammed full of other stuff), isn't over the top.

If you get issues about the laptop - e.g. if it's 'combined' into your carry-on, and causes weight issues, take a look at Crumpler (Warning! Annoying flash site. Just show me the bags!) or Timbuk2 for laptop bags/carrying sleeves, which will protect your laptop should someone be petty/picky and insist you carry it seperately because it puts you 'overweight'.

Cheers!
Mike
#354942 by Lipstick
28 May 2006, 11:38
^ You are allowed one pc at 6kg PLUS a laptop bag....and that is not hard to stick to.

But when we say laptop, we mean a laptop in a laptop bag, not a laptop, some shoes, 10 magazines, cat litter and your toileteries in a laptop bag.
#354943 by VS045
28 May 2006, 11:51
Nice TR GatorBaiter![y]

As you said, I always thinks it's odd that travelling to the East coast seems to take no time at all but just those extra 3 hours makes west coast flights take an age![:?]

VS.
#354948 by buns
28 May 2006, 12:26
GB

Thanks for a great TR crafted on that new laptop of yours

Nice to hear that 74k provided you with a degree of privacy - albeit that those style of PE seats are not as comfy as the ones found on the MCO route.

Have a great half term in the States

buns
#354951 by sunny
28 May 2006, 13:09
Shame the flight was not as good as the TR. Hope you have a fantastic time in the US.

Max
#354954 by GatorBaiter
28 May 2006, 13:43
Originally posted by Lipstick
^ You are allowed one pc at 6kg PLUS a laptop bag....and that is not hard to stick to.

But when we say laptop, we mean a laptop in a laptop bag, not a laptop, some shoes, 10 magazines, cat litter and your toileteries in a laptop bag.

I'm not quite sure where the cat litter comes into it [?] but I really had sod all in there bar the laptop which weighed 2.25kg)...my record book [|:)], a lightweight sweater, a magazine and my Oakleys. It turns out the bag itself weighed about 5kg so that'll be binned off in favour of a laptop bag...but Dave has already said if we go to Fry's he may have to have his wallet confiscated [ii] And the other annoying thing about the bag is it doesn't fit in the overhead locker on a 747 but does on an airbus so it's as good as gone. Made up my mind now!

All I can say is I am glad I packed Dave's huge bottle of HP sauce in one of my cases! And if anyone was wondering...I managed to restrain myself and have saved the Cadbury's bar for Dave [:)] Although, it is 4.45am and I could really do with some sugar [:I] munch munch munch...!
#354956 by GatorBaiter
28 May 2006, 13:55
Oh and the plan for today...be a complete grockel...I'm being picked up at 9.05am by the LA Sightseeing Tours bus and doing a 5 hour tour of the stars homes and walk of fame etc etc

Link here. Only another 4 hours to wait then...[B)]
#354961 by catsilversword
28 May 2006, 15:11
Nice one Jacq - sooo know what you mean about trips to west coast seeming endless. We've even started to think of east coast trips as short-haul[:I]
#354962 by mitchja
28 May 2006, 15:14
Good TR thanks Jacq [y]

I do think it's time VS looked at increasing PE cabin baggage allowances, especially as BA allow extra in their WT+ cabin.

Regards
#354980 by Jon B
28 May 2006, 17:56
Great TR jacq.......

Looking forward to making the same flight at the end of July.....

As an aside jacq, friend of mine managed to sort the Tom Tom Go issue if you know what I mean...... So a huge thank you once again [y][y][y]

Have a great time stateside

Jon B
#354984 by VS045
28 May 2006, 18:16
Wherabouts in LA are you staying at the moment in LA?

VS.
#355122 by GatorBaiter
29 May 2006, 16:06
Originally posted by VS045
Wherabouts in LA are you staying at the moment in LA?

VS.

Sheraton Four Points LAX, but about to leave in a couple of hours for San Diego. Hotel has been fine and even dealt with the noisy neighbours for me...3 screaming Mexican kids when I was trying to get over jetlag. Way to get the Gator Baiter in a snappy mood!
#355127 by GatorBaiter
29 May 2006, 16:28
Just an update on the tour etc...

It covered pretty much all it said but no stars' homes [:(!]. The Farmers Market was quite cool and had a street of shops a bit like Disney's Main Street i.e. unbelievably tidy and pristine!

Nothing was open on Rodeo as it was Sunday but we didn't spend much time there. We had about 40 mins around Walk of Fame area, Kodak and Chinese theatre, with chance to get a pic of the Hollywood sign. It was a bit of a mad dash but I just about managed it, even getting a foreign couple to understand my camera [:)] Oh and of course time to get a sickly treat from the Rocky Mountain Chocolate place and wolf it...mmmm peanut butter bucket and coke for breakfast [:$] Drove through Santa Monica and then very briefly stopped at Venice Beach...hmmm! Didn't see any freaks [:(] ok, maybe that should read 'many'! [;)]

Anyhoo, the whole thing was meant to be more of a taster of the LA area, according to Steven, the tour bus driver. He shamelessly plugged his CD and one minute radio show on the tour [:0] and also directed us to his website http://www.hollywoodstories.com

I did take a few pics which can be seen

here

here

and one of sunset from my room here

Further updates as and when.
GB [:X]
#355209 by Jonathan
29 May 2006, 23:51
Great TR Jacq..
See you back in Blighty!
#355280 by Mavrick
30 May 2006, 16:04