Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#243074 by ChuckC
29 May 2006, 15:04
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Following on a weeks worth of business travel I was a bit tired by the time I boarded a Continental Express tin can at MEM International, headed for EWR. CO euphemistically refers to this toy plane as a regional jet; it is about as much of a regional jet as I am. For anyone contemplating flying in such tight quarters, best limit your trip to one hour or less (mine was 2 hours) and be under 5 feet, 8 inches tall; otherwise, you will have scrunched legs and be unable to stand erect. Dreadful!

Anyway the 2 hours of body torture over, I deplaned at EWR at Terminal C and quickly boarded the people mover; within 2-3 minutes I was in Terminal B where VS has its check-in desk. A rather stone-faced (synonym for outsourced) person efficiently checked me in, issued the CH invite and directed me to the gates.

For those who havent been in this CH it is located in a retail concourse area before security. The CH is smallish but this doesnt detract from its offerings. Tonight it was quiet when I entered near 7pm. The ladies at the desk gave me a Revivals pass but noted on it Advised NHW, which meant, disappointingly no hot water at the LHR Revivals?? Repairs had apparently been scheduled for the bank holiday weekend. Can imagine though that many pax like me would be disappointed with this timing.

The fine odors of well-prepared food were a welcome change from the fast food Id been consuming earlier in the week. After a chardonnay and several excellent tray-passed appetizers (lamb kabob, mushroom tart, assorted sushi) I felt well enough to have a look at the bar area. There a chef was preparing fresh chicken ravioli with grilled peppers and marinara sauce, a plate of which was delivered to me at my seat. There was an excellent selection of cheeses and crackers, and various antipasti offerings as well. One of the concierges reminded me that a buffer dinner would be served shortly. Really? I thought just the anitipasti and the ravioli were an outstanding offering. Sure enough, in about ten minutes a full buffet appeared just the other side of the bar and I felt compelled to at least taste everything. Pork tenderloin, oven roasted potatoes, assorted squash, rare roast beef, grilled tuna, chilled salad with haricot vert and an excellent mustard dressing, risotto with roasted tomatoes and cheese. Though there are tables near the buffet I chose to enjoy my repast in the comparatively al fresco environment at my comfortable lounge seat where I had already fired up the wireless internet offering. While eating I got on V-Flyer for a few minutes to check in with several other of our directors who I was planning to meet up with in London. The food was frankly more interesting than the internet (no offense to my mates, of course) and I was quite tired, so for the next few minutes I relaxed with my wine. Then another of the concierges came by with an offering of dessert: bread pudding, ice creams and sherbet, or apple cheesecake. I couldnt resist the latter and was well rewarded; it was superb.

Bidding goodbye to the staff I made the short transit through security (shoes off, laptops out, etc.) and then straight to the gate where preliminary boarding was being offered though no premium boarding card was in evidence. I had checked earlier and knew wed be traveling on Tubular Belle tonight (yippee V-Port). My mission on this flight was sleep, however, and thus Id selected seat 2K which on the 744 is upstairs on the starboard side. For those who havent done a snooze zone flight on the 744, this is definitely a fine alternative. The occupants of the SZ apparently know the drill: after takeoff the seatbelt sign was off quite quickly and everyone in the SZ jumped up as if on cue, put their own beds together and Id say within five minutes or less, were in bed. I slept about five hours, awakening to the smell of coffee. Rubbing my eyes I stumbled downstairs, sat at the bar with one of the pleasant FAs who offered me coffee and a bacon roll. Nice eye opener they were. After chatting with the FA for a bit I just had time to change out of my sleep suit and to brush my teeth before the seatbelt sign came on. Alas the often typical morning approach/landing scrum at LHR was in full force today and our captain, lamenting same, held us in suspended animation for about 45 minutes before landing, rollout and a fairly long taxi out to the hinterlands of gate 42. If nothing else the walk from this gate area to the immigration and arrivals hall does provide one with a morning constitution; for that reason alone, I cant really criticize it.

Morning constitution complete I took advantage of the Fasttrack voucher and was out of customs/immigration within 10 minutes. My bag was waiting for me at baggage claim and I quickly made my way to the Heathrow Express for the short fifteen minute ride to Londons Paddington station.

All in all, though I slept through most of the journey, the beginning and the ending (clubhouse and cabin crew in particular) received top marks for courtesy, friendliness and professionalism.[y] For me, the people are Virgin's number one asset.

Chuck-
#355104 by Nottingham Nick
29 May 2006, 15:23
Great TR, Chuck

I am very pleasantly surprised by the quality of food in the EWR CH. Very nice. [y][y]

Nick
#355111 by Decker
29 May 2006, 15:36
Thanks Chuck - they've either improved the food or your standards are lower than mine. I strongly suspect the former. [;)]. I do have to agree with you about the people making it though.
#355114 by MarkJ
29 May 2006, 15:45
Originally posted by ChuckC
For me, the people are Virgin's number one asset.

Good in depth report Chuck - as ever[y]

I think to echo Decker's point we all have little things on flights that we either need or that aren't quite rigth and its the VS team that makes us want to fly with VS again - I have had things like Vport failing and needing drinks late at night and the staff have always been excellent!!

All I hope is that VS are able to focus on this element as they move forward because I think we have all seen what its like on other airlines where the crew just aren't bothered[V]
#355152 by JAT74L
29 May 2006, 18:49
I love your attention to detail and the flowing nature of your verse Chuck.

Great read, thanks again.

Regards

John
#355160 by sunny
29 May 2006, 19:03
Thanks for the informative TR about life at the front end [y]. Hope you have a great time in London.

Max
#355176 by Richard28
29 May 2006, 20:57
Thanks for the TR Chuck.

EWR lounge sounds good [y]
#355181 by RichardMannion
29 May 2006, 21:43
Thanks for the TR Chuck - its an interesting comment on the EWR food - they can't cook over open flame in the EWR CH, so they must be very good to make food of a good standard for passengers.

Thanks,
Richard
#355185 by MarkJ
29 May 2006, 21:49
Originally posted by RichardMannion
Thanks for the TR Chuck - its an interesting comment on the EWR food - they can't cook over open flame in the EWR CH, so they must be very good to make food of a good standard for passengers.

Thanks,
Richard

Sorry to go all 'catering' on you Richard - but is it that they cant cook on any sort of cooker because they dont have any ventilation - becasue they could cook equally well on an electric range!! Its usually no ventilation that scuppers any 'real' cooking!![y]
#355186 by RichardMannion
29 May 2006, 21:55
I think it was due to ventilation - can't remember exactly, but I do remember discussing the food when I was last in there and was told that they couldn't cook over an open flame like certain other CH's and that limited their culinary range.

Thanks,
Richard
#355188 by Jonathan
29 May 2006, 22:02
Nice TR Chuck - Apparently theres still no hot water at revivals!
#355201 by mitchja
29 May 2006, 23:14
Fantastic TR thanks Chuck [y]

What is it with Revivals and hot water (or lack of it) these days [:?]

Regards
#355203 by honey lamb
29 May 2006, 23:20
Great TR, Chuck. Must give the EWR Clubhouse a whirl sometime
#355206 by mike-smashing
29 May 2006, 23:25
Ah, that report brings back memories of my last EWR flight experience... the wonderful EWR CH staff with their sweet trolley! [;)]

I remember that the food was okay, but wasn't of the same standard as some of the other Clubhouses (e.g. LHR, JFK, SFO). When I saw the tiny preparation area (not even a real kitchen), I wasn't surprised, and was more than satisfied with what they could turn out given the space they have.

ISTR, an outside caterer brings in the dinner buffet at EWR (similar to BOS, in that respect), but it looks like they have enhanced that a little bit recently.

Cheers,
Mike
#355230 by iforres1
30 May 2006, 09:27
Thanks for the in depth TR Chuck, never been through EWR so nice to hear a little about it.

I don't know if the SZ is for me, but if it is sleep you want then sounds great.

Iain
#355232 by Bazz
30 May 2006, 10:31
Thanks for sharing Chuck, the food in the CH sounded top dollar, made my mouth water just reading about it! Glad all the staff were up to the VS standard pity about your cold shower though [;)]
#355242 by ChuckC
30 May 2006, 12:41
Yes, I believe that the food in the EWR CH is catered. In response to Mike Smashing, I too recall that the quality and variety have improved considerably since my last visit there two years ago. Though the rooms are small and there are no panoramic views of the airfield (indeed, no windows at all here) the staff friendliness, the food and overall ambience are a fine prelude to one's flight.

Richard, I imagine you are correct regarding the 'open flame' prohibition; in such situations typically a vented hood and even a fire suppression system would be required depending upon the room occupancy level. Here is where a little ingenuity pays off: VS didn't cook any of the food; they merely warmed it on what appeared to be a 'hot plate'. The odor of marinara sauce wafting through the CH was wonderfully aromatic, and there were plenty of takers when the ravioli and marinara were on offer.

Chuck-
#355262 by Howard Long
30 May 2006, 14:29
Originally posted by ChuckC
Following on a week's worth of business travel I was a bit tired by the time I boarded a Continental Express Òtin canÓ at MEM International, headed for EWR. CO euphemistically refers to this toy plane as a Òregional jetÓ; it is about as much of a regional jet as I am. For anyone contemplating flying in such tight quarters, best limit your trip to one hour or less (mine was 2 hours) and be under 5 feet, 8 inches tall; otherwise, you will have scrunched legs and be unable to stand erect. Dreadful!

Anyway the 2 hours of body torture over...

Hi Chuck

Thanks for the great TR! Regarding the Embraer (I'm assuming it was an ERJ), personally I find them OK - certainly way better than (for example) the BAe146's (often configured as a 3-3 config in EU). I had a couple of ERJ flights last week, one on CO and the other on UA. The overhead lockers aren't much to write home about, being similar in size to those upstairs in a 744 or the BAe146, but I found the area under the seat in front to be OK, both in the aisle and the window seat. I'm your architypal 5'8' but my travelling buddy is 6'2' and definitely not skinny, and he doesn't mind them, and he's normally the quick to complain!

Cheers, Howard

Howard
Virgin Atlantic