Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#243076 by JAT74L
29 May 2006, 15:46
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This trip has been an education for me. I found Shanghai to be a bit of a madhouse but I also found the Chinese people that we met to be polite and helpful, not just in the hotels and with a good sense of humour! My lasting memory was walking from the hotel to the main railway station with the intention of taking a couple of pics. I found myself in the midst of a few thousand Chinese people with myself being the only westerner.

The Holiday Inn Shanghai Downtown was excellent - more like a Crowne Plaza. I received an executive level upgrade with lounge access and full breakfast despite being on a reward stay. The hotel is split into two wings the GW - Great Wall wing and the PL - Plaza wing. There are two receptions which caused us some confusion initially.

GW wing

PL wing

It was time to go home so we booked a mini van from the Hotel to Pu Dong Int'l for 0700 on the morning of Sunday 28th.

Compared to the 90 min Maglev/taxi combination when we arrived the return took only 40 mins and had us at PVG for around 0745. We went straight to check in with 3 travelling Upper and one in Economy. I was asked to pay a 25 change fee for some reason but did so without fuss as I'd changed this ticket around so much I wasn't in a position to argue! Boarding cards and lounge passes were issued and I asked if mine could be endorsed for 1 guest. I was told that 'G class is not allowed a guest' by the check in agent so asked to speak to her supervisor and had the problem solved immediately.

The lounge looked quite nice but the selection of refreshments on offer was pretty pants. You could have a beef sandwich, a beef sandwich or yes, you've guessed it a beef sandwich. This actually forced me into trying some Chinese congee which was pretty painless!

We were called to board for the 1055 departure at 1015 and made the short walk to gate 20. I had spotted G-VSSH 'Sweet Dreamer' come onto stand earler.

Once on board the 3 of us in Upper settled in quickly and my two mates were given the run down on the seats etc (by me!). Martin & John were suitably impressed by the Upper Class Suite and all that went with it!

Pushback was delayed until 1130 due to traffic flow problems and we were in the air at 1145 as predicted by the Captain earlier. Again the stretched 340 performed it's climbout effortlessly but this time the 4 Rollers were emitting their classic 'whirr' as we didn't mess around getting to cruise altitude!

We had a couple of drinks then took the lunch offering with myself opting for the Dim Sum starter (nice) then Salmon with noodles & mashed potato for main (very nice) followed by the cheese (not bad). I tried the English Bacchus white as I thought 'if it's good enough for Howard Long it'll be good enough for me!'. It was indeed very enjoyable but I stopped after the second top up!

Dim Sum starter

Salmon main

Cheese

We flew directly over Beijing during lunch but I was on the wrong side and trapped by the table to get any pics but did get a snap while over Mongolia.

The very friendly crew came round and closed most of the blinds after lunch and a few pax decided to get some kip.

In a surprise move (NOT) we then decided it was time to sample the bar! The FSM very kindly allowed our mate in Economy to join us for a drink or ten and we had a great time chatting to various members of the crew. It transpired that Paula (who was looking after us at the bar) was on her very last trip and was leaving after 8 years to spend more quality time with her young daughter (something that Mrs JAT has done recently too) [y]. A quick word in the FSM's ear priduced a suitable gift from the duty free mag from the 4 of us as a thank you for looking after us so well.

The three Johns, Martin & Paula.

Between us we'd managed to demolish the Tanqueray No 10 and were beginning to make inroads into the Bombay when I decided to go for a kip!

After I woke up I had some afternoon tea to bring me round and after what felt nothing like being on an aircraft for 13 hours we were approaching Heathrow

I had a fantastic flight with VS with good food, excellent staff and good company.

I hope you git a chance to look the site up and can read this so good luck to you Paula and thanks to you and your colleagues for a wonderful experience.

[y][y][y]

Regards

John
#355130 by iforres1
29 May 2006, 16:42
Top report, nothing else to add[y]

Iain
#355134 by Nottingham Nick
29 May 2006, 17:00
Spot on, John.. another suberb report, thanks. [y][y]

Nice touch on the present for Paula. [oo][oo]

Nick

BTW... just in case anyone is wondering, the pic of Paula in the TR is posted with her permission.... many thanks, John
#355141 by Airbus340
29 May 2006, 17:53
Great TR John, Nice pics!
#355150 by sunny
29 May 2006, 18:49
Great TR with some equally impressive pics [y]! On an aside - what was the air quality like in Shangai? It seems to me that it would be pretty poor with all the vehicles etc. and do they use petrol that has been as highly refined?
#355153 by JAT74L
29 May 2006, 18:52
Sunny,

Air quality didn't seem great. A non AC taxi trip with the windows open left me with stinging eyes (and usually my heart in my mouth)!

Hong Kong wasn't much better with diesel engined boats belching out black smoke like there was no tomorrow!

Regards

John
#355154 by JAT74L
29 May 2006, 18:54
Oh, and Happy Birthday to me!

37 today.

John
#355155 by Decker
29 May 2006, 18:55
Thanks for the TR - and happy birthday too :)
#355158 by sunny
29 May 2006, 18:59
Thanks for the reply - Happy Birthday John [:)][:)]
Virgin Atlantic