Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#243085 by David
29 May 2006, 22:11
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
You know, one of the best bits of v-flyer for me is the trip reports, so after reading and enjoying many of them, I resolved to write my very first one after all these years so here it is.[:D]

We have been flying the edi lgw mco route now since 1990 and have tried most of the permutations available. Fly down the night before, the morning to the 027, later on to the 015 etc etc and have now decided that the most comfortable, although not the cheapest, is to fly down the afternoon before, stay in the Hilton (points ![}:)]) and take the 027 out, arriving at the very civilised time around 3.30pm, more than often allowing you to be checked in and in the shower for around 4.30

So the latest venture to the Sunshine State arrived and we found ourselves checking in to the Hilton on Saturday afternoon after a very uneventful, but efficient flight down on BA from Edinburgh.

For the 4th time in a row, we where checked into a (our) very nice room on the 4th floor in the executive wing. I cant believe its the only executive room on a high floor, close to the elevators and non-smoking in the whole place[;)], but there you go, 4 times in a row in the same room must be some kinda record.

This was my 3rd Upper Class flight in 10 months to MCO after an UC reward flight to MCO in Jan 05 who says these point things are addictive which brings my tier points to 30 but thats probably another story[:w].

Check in was very quick, friendly and efficient and we were soon on the way to the clubhouse after the quick trip to the duty free (extra points on champagne and summer fragrances[;)]) and were quickly seated in a rather quiet clubhouse with a glass of fizz.

After the shoe shine guy did a very nice job with a pair of timberland shoes (which, I admit had only been worn a couple of times after finding them new in the suitcase from the last trip[:w]) it was time for some breakfast and a glass of bucks fizz.

I had though that there was wireless access, but no problem, there was no one at the pcs (you know, I am sure I have used it in the past but there you go[?])

All too soon, it was time to trek to the gate, to be greeted with a half hour delay in boarding due to the late inbound aircraft. It still never ceases to amaze me that a soon as one family decides to set up camp at the entrance, they are joined by half of the airport[V]. (Gives you something to step on I suppose)

The aircraft was nova (hotlips I think) and was full to bursting in virtually all sections, although I have to admit I was never upstairs, but when the horrible seats downstairs in PE are full, it goes without saying that upstairs will be full as well.

Service was 1st class, with nothing being to much trouble and an empty glass not being empty for long. Even the food was pretty good. I had the soup lovely and a decent size serving, the chicken tikka very nice and some ice cream to finish off, followed by a cappuccino. Very nice.[y]

You know, if they had only went for broke and put V-Port in when the suites were fitted (I know, another discussion for another time) this flight would truly have got 10 out of 10. No queues or interlopers at the toilets[;)], very little turbulence, great service and much improved food, what more can you really ask for, or indeed need.

We made up the lost time and landed pretty much as scheduled. As someone reported the landing arrangements into the satellite at MCO have changed again no more search area as you come up the stairs, but still a hellish wait for your bags at baggage reclaim B. You know, I think you could get out of the airport much quicker, if you were allowed to bring your bags with you on the little shuttle thing. Even one of our fellow American UC passengers commented that they didnt know how this wait is allowed to happen.[:?]

However, to finish off, because I am sure your all bored to death by now, we are checked in to Disneys Saratoga Springs, with a great room right across from Downtown Disney and a glass of champagne (extra points you know) enjoying a balmy 90 degrees having just heard its pi**ing with rain back in Scotland and that the central heating has just been put back on. Oh well . shame[:p].

Thanks for listening

David.
#355190 by McCoy
29 May 2006, 22:19
Actually it's warm, sunny and a hundred degrees back here in Edinburgh..*

*this may be a lie
#355191 by Nottingham Nick
29 May 2006, 22:22
David ... a great debut in the TR stakes - a very enjoyable read. [y][y]

Far be it for me to doubt the word of the good Doctor, but it has been peeing it down in the Midlands, so I think your weather may be a tad nicer than it is in Scotland at the moment. [;)][8D]

Nick
#355192 by McCoy
29 May 2006, 22:23
[:D][;)]
#355193 by MarkJ
29 May 2006, 22:28
An excellent first TR David [y]

Sounds like VS UC has you hooked!![:I]

I fancy the Saratoga Springs for a stay next time I go to Disney so a bit more info on what it was like would be good - there is a Disney section which might be hte best place to post if you have the time!!!
#355198 by honey lamb
29 May 2006, 23:03
Great TR, David. [^]

You do realise, don't you, that you are now commited to doing one per flight from now on? You won't be able to escape. We will pursue you relentlessly! [}:)]
#355229 by Spidey
30 May 2006, 09:17
Hi, Are you a DVC (disney vacation club) member? We own at Old Key West. With two kids we only manage ecom flights to MCO. However we are going UCS to SFO in October (kids free)!
#355236 by Decker
30 May 2006, 10:57
Nice one David! Welcome to the club - as HL says we look forward to more comparative reports as we go forward!
#355296 by Nevil30
30 May 2006, 17:27
Excellent trip report[^]

Would definately be interested in your opinion of Disney Saratoga Springs we are considering a stay there later this year [?]
#355342 by buns
30 May 2006, 22:17
David

Thanks for an excellent inaugural TR[y][y]
It still never ceases to amaze me that a soon as one family decides to set up camp at the entrance, they are joined by half of the airport. (Gives you something to step on I suppose)

Ace[:D][:D][:D]
You say you have been doing the trip for a number of years, and you have finally arrived at doing it in UC (which of course means there is no turning back[}:)])

'Mrs Buns, when are we going back........'

Thanks once again - hope you have found the site useful in putting together your plans

buns
#355355 by daveinkent
30 May 2006, 22:57
Thanks David. How many seats do they put in the UC section on this route? is it 4 across or just window seats only? Many thanks, Dave
#355358 by honey lamb
30 May 2006, 23:26
Originally posted by daveinkent
Thanks David. How many seats do they put in the UC section on this route? is it 4 across or just window seats only? Many thanks, Dave

Window seats only unless you get an LHR configured plane for some reason (like a tech aircraft)
#355374 by David
31 May 2006, 01:48
Thanks for all your kind replies

McCoy - I take it that 'fantastic' weather was probably our summer[;)] - my sources tell me its freezing again [}:)]

Mark/Spidey/Nevil30 - Became a DVC member 5 years ago, although wish it had been earlier when we first seen it. I will try and put down a few thoughts on the DVC properties we have stayed at in the Disney section. OT I see there is another price rise coming soon - oh for the days we paid around $74 a point (now over $100)

Daveinkent - Honey Lamb has beat me to it - only 14 seats in UC on the LGW fleet which makes for loads of space.

Buns - yes, started of with a couple in e/c and soon moved to p/e with the last 4 being u/c .... oh and a couple of BA club in the middle [?] - with the excuse for them being that a won a large pile of airmiles (in the good old days when airmiles where actually worth something)

thanks again

David
#355410 by ChuckC
31 May 2006, 13:14
David,
Nothing at all wrong with your report, and it certainly wasn't boring. Glad you enjoyed the food; it clearly is improving and let's keep the improvements coming (please, oh please!).

Hope you will enjoy your holiday.

Chuck-
Virgin Atlantic