Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#243132 by jilly
01 Jun 2006, 02:48
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Thought I would type my TR as I am desperately trying to stay awake.

Arrived at check-in around 8.30am after a good nights sleep in the Hilton.

Unfortunately it didn't start off too well. Even though there was no one at the UC check in and two desks were free I wasn't acknowledged and the two ladies on duty decided to carry on their conversation during the whole check in process. As I walked away I realised I hadn't been offered a clubhouse pass or immigration cards - no big deal really but not everyone would realise the cards could be picked up in the clubhouse.

On arrival at the clubhouse I was greeted with a smile and I decided to make my feelings known - not that it would make any difference but it made me feel better and the lady did apologise. Wasn't offered a treatment but I didn't want one but it would have been nice to have been asked. The beautician wasn't very busy as I saw her walking around the lounge quite a lot. Had a couple of lattes, an OJ and some scrambled eggs on toast.

Left the lounge when the flight was called to gate 36 (Jersey Girl) and was surprised that there was no one there. I was greeted by name - they had obviously been waiting for me and I was the last to board. Once I boarded I asked if I was late but told that because the flight had only 135 pax on board that it had boarded quickly.

PE had only 13 people upstairs and none in the downstairs section. I was offered a drink immediately and cabin crew took my small carry on as it wouldn't fit in the overhead locker. A good selection of newpapers and magazines were also given out. Flight pushed back more or less on time.

Another drinks service was offered and meals were served very soon into the flight. I opted for the chicken, which was pretty good, serviced with carrots and a herb mash. Starter was pasta and dessert was profiteroles. I settled down to eat and watch Queen Latifi in some rom com.

Unfortunately I became quite ill around an hour after eating - feeling faint with stomach pains and very sick. The cabin crew were exceptional bringing oxygen (a bit embarrassing) and lots of water and peppermint tea. I ended up laying down in economy along four middle seats with lots of blankets and cushions. Within a couple of hours I felt a lot better.

I passed on afternoon tea but sandwiches and a cadburys chocolate bar were on offer. Copious amounts of tea and coffee were on offer and had been throughout the flight along with water and juice.

The FSM was one of the best I have met on any flight and her crew agreed. I do remember her name but no permission to use it here I'm afraid as I forgot to ask.

Just before landing the lovely crew gave me water and chocolate bars to eat when I felt better - a lovely touch. Landed about 40 minutes early.

I was first off the flight and immigration was completely empty and as I had no luggage I arrived at the Dollar desk with no delays. Unfortunately I had a good 30 minute wait there. My car allocated is a Dodge Caliber in black - not sure if it looks like a small london cab or whether it's suitable for funerals[:I] It does drive well though and for someone who is vertically challenged like myself it offers a good high seating position.

Looking forward to getting some more rays and topping up the now well establised tan!

Jilly
#355539 by buns
01 Jun 2006, 05:42
Jilly

Firstly, I do hope you quickly recover from your bout of illness on board[y]

Thanks for posting a very useful TR. MCO being a popular route, it is important that fellow V-Flyers get a feel for how this one operates.

Given your intial reception, I am sure that you could not have imagined the lengths VS subsequently went to[:?][:?] It seems to be the same - an expereince is either terribly bad (that disrupts you for the rest of your joureny) and tremendously good

Have a great time in the US

Buns
#355599 by David
01 Jun 2006, 13:51
Jilly,

Weathers been great, with only the very odd spot of rain in the afternoon - no thunder etc so tan should come along nicely.

Sorry to hear you didn't feel great. There is nothing worse than feeling ill and knowing that you are stuck on this metal tube thousands of feet in the air with no where to go.

David
#355685 by jilly
01 Jun 2006, 19:10
Thanks Buns for your always kind words, feeling much better today but not up to driving, fortunately a friend called round last night and brought some essentials - milk etc.

David hope you are enjoying yourself - definitely feels more humid than even a couple of weeks ago and the bugs are out in force but sat protected by the pool screen, it's a hard life isn't it?

I did forget to mention that I even had a chat to the pilot yesterday (a first for me). He came to see if I was OK and ended up chatting about my house and Florida in general, was probably relieved that he got to MCO without an emergency delay caused by me!

Jilly
#355691 by ela123
01 Jun 2006, 19:33
Glad you're feeling better Jilly. I think that you were missing your lie down in UCS [;)]
Virgin Atlantic