Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#243189 by mitchja
04 Jun 2006, 05:32
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
VS200 HKG-SYD
G-VAIL (config 2 A346)
Economy seat 33G

Tried OLCI that morning but wouldnt let me do it for some reason.

Headed to HKG using the MTR/Airport Express again which was again quite easy with total cost of a one way ticket of HK$105 (HK $100 for the airport express and HK$5 Central - Causeway Bay). Arrived HKG airport 13:00 only to be told VS check-in does not open until 16:20 [:0] so I hung around a bit, drank some coffee and people watched until check-in opened.

Check-in actually opened at 16:00 so I headed to Upper check-in. There were already a few pax checking in. In no time at all I was given my boarding card and Clubhouse pass and so made my way through immigration which didnt take very long. The odd thing is that mobile phones have to be removed from bags but lap-tops are OK work that one out?

It was my first time to the HKG Clubhouse as last time I travelled through HKG I was travelling on the dark side whos lounge and gate was immediately after immigration so the rest of the terminal was all new to me. Made my way to the Clubhouse using the instructions on the invite which I found quite easily. Its mostly open to the airport much like the JFK Clubhouse. All the usual facilities and very efficient staff. I left the lounge on several occasions and as soon I came back even before Id sat down, the staff were asking me if I wanted anything to drink. I had my usual Clubhouse sandwich which as very nice.

Watched G-VAIL arrive at gate 36 at approx 17:00. Did a bit of web surfing on the PCs in Clubhouse. I also tried the wireless but couldnt get it to work (even with a password the staff provide). Decided to have a shower and freshen up before my flight.

Overall the Clubhouse wasnt too busy. Most pax seemed to arrive once the VS200 from LHR arrived though.

The flight was soon called so I made my way down to gate 36 which is only a short walk. Priority boarding was there and was working, although it seemed the bridge to door L1 wasnt working so all pax had to use the same jetway.

Again I turned right and made my way into the economy cabin. Yes G-VEIL has the new configuration but still has the Wash and Kash seats. I do seem to remember reading on here somewhere that the new seats dont arrive until July.

My jacket was taken and hung. Turns out it was in one of the J wardrobes. Fallen out now with my jacket as it got an upgrade to J and I didn't [:o)]

The water fountain is a good idea but the area around it is a bit cramped (theres 2 fountains either side of the Y cabin) Theres also more room in front of the seats which are next to the over-wind exit as on the left side theres now 2 jump seats. Other than the extra rows where the mid galley was, theres no other differences that I can see.

As pax were boarding the air con was generating very large quantities of mist. Seen this before, but not as much as this. Add a mirror ball and flashing lights and way hey weve got a disco [:D]. I guess its because of the high humidity here in HKG.

I started writing this mid flight as Im bored again and cannot sleep. Doesnt help when 6 hours into the flight the seat belt has been off for only 10 mins. Yes theres been a bit of turbulence but nothing out of the ordinary. In fact it has been a pretty smooth flight so far.

Booked in seat 37G but moved to the front row after takeoff for the extra leg room. A couple of the moveable screens were not working. I first thought is might be a system problem but after a re-boot still nothing. The screen just kept going off completely. I reported this to a senior crew but they were already aware of this. I read about this before where the movable screens are easily broken. Well It would actually help if there were some instructions on how to release the screen. There are 2 buttons on the seat, one for recline and the other to release the screen but nothing telling you what this second button actually is actually for. Its also not the best idea how the screens fit into the seats when stowed. The actually LCD screen ends up facing outwards under the seat rather than actually sliding into the seat like Odyssey/Nova movable screens do. They are bound to get scuffed and caught by pax feet/shoes or anything else that might be put on the floor in front of the seat. I guess theres not much room to do this with V:Port movable screens as they are much bigger (the same size as the ordinary V:Port seat-back screens everywhere else BTW).

Being the front row these seats have airbags on the seat belts, which reminds me of flying up the front [:w]. Y load is less than 50% but PE looks full, no idea about J.

We pulled back at 19:15 and took off at 19:35 on time. Wow I really thought we were going to run out of runway this time as we kept on going for what seemed like ages before rotating.

The service tonight in the economy cabin is a bit sparse. Other than the first drinks round and the meal service theres been absolutely no other water or drinks service what so ever that Ive seen. Had no other option than to use of my call light to ask for water and or orange whilst being confined to my seat a couple of times (as were several other Y pax).

On a positive note, the food was excellent [y]. In fact, its one of the best economy meals Ive ever had. It was better than I've had in J several years ago on VS. Cant remember the choices but I opted for the pasta main course. There was a green leaf salad for starters with a piece of cake for desert along with cheese and crackers and a mini chocolate bar. Breakfast was served the usual 90 mins before landing. This was even better. I had a hot pork and apple pastie type thing. There was also a bowl of fruit and a croissant with butter and jam.

Changed back out of my sleep suit (which I bought with me from a previous VS J flight) and freshened up after breakfast. The seat belt sign came of and pretty some we were landing at SYD on time.

Immigration was very quick. We made it just before the United flight from LA. Priority baggage was not working once again as my bag was nearly last off again [V]. Complaint email going to VS customer relations as soon as I've finished this TR.

Overall a pretty good flight.

Jumped on a mini-bus to the Stamford Plaza Airport hotel.

It's pretty cold in Sydney today BTW - only about 10'C here.

Regards
#356018 by JAT74L
04 Jun 2006, 12:12
Great TR James, pity about the service.

Enjoy Sydney and the rest of your trip.

Regards

John
#356027 by mitchja
04 Jun 2006, 14:21
Just a couple of observations and things to add.....

Only just noticed but on the side of my case there's a sticker with a micro-chip built into it which looks to have been put on my case in HKG. Looks like they use the baggage tracking system LHR T5 are going to use. However, the system has also swallowed up my black V-Flyer tag [:(!]

Also forgot to add, I watched the film Crash on this flight. I know it's not that new a film, but wow what a fantastic film. Nothing like I expected it to be, but still well worth watching.

I did have Junes V:Port films but not much to write about though.

Sorry not a plesent observation but still an observation non the less. One other thing when travelling in Y on an A346. Those back 2 washrooms both have a mighty powerful flush...even with the lid down you can actually feel the air been sucked out of the washroom when you flush [:0]. They must be very close to the aircraft's vacuum waste handling system!!

Regards
#356057 by RichardMannion
04 Jun 2006, 20:42
Damn, now I really am sorry for forgetting to tell you about downtown check-in at the Airport Express stations. You wouldn't have had to wait around then for HKG Airport check-in to open.

Thanks,
Richard
#356071 by mitchja
04 Jun 2006, 22:10
No problem Richard [:)] I did think about using the downtown check-in. I will give it a try on my way back.

Regards
#356097 by Mavrick
05 Jun 2006, 09:40
Good TR Mitchja thank you [y] I saw Crash on my way back from Miami a few weeks back and I agree its fantastic film. [:)]
#356101 by HighFlyer
05 Jun 2006, 10:18
Another fab TR James! But bringing your own sleepsuit? ... Nice one! [:D]

Thanks,
Sarah
#356109 by mitchja
05 Jun 2006, 10:35
Originally posted by HighFlyer
But bringing your own sleepsuit? ... Nice one! [:D]

Thanks,
Sarah

Oh yeah of course, but I did get some funny looks from other pax though [:D]

Regards
#356123 by HighFlyer
05 Jun 2006, 11:51
Originally posted by mitchja

Oh yeah of course, but I did get some funny looks from other pax though [:D]

Regards

I would have died with laughter if one of your fellow pax had said 'hey cool sleepsuit, where do i get one of those?' [:D]

Total respect from me for proudly wearing it in Y though ... next challenge is to wear it in BA WT!! Ooh i can see a potential social feat there!

Have fun in Oz!!

Thanks,
Sarah
Virgin Atlantic