Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#243315 by williestott
10 Jun 2006, 16:30
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
First experience of VS - and even though I was back in row 62, a few from the end... WOW - what an experience!
We were on Cosmic Girl for the 7hr or so hop over the pond. Due to work on the terminal/gate/area we were bussed around to the plane - which gave a cracking panoramic of the plane & superb photo-op. Cursed myself when I realised I didnt have camera on me.
Took an age to take off due to the volume of traffic - didnt note how long, but my sister who was going to JFK with BA 20mins before us, reckoned they were 20-30mins late, so figured we mustve been too.
With a mixture of reviews, had finally plumped for the 'couples seats' up the back of economy. Whilst the seats themselves were great - the same couldnt be said for the other passengers! Appeared to be a family of 7/8 kids (oldest about 14/15) heading to the US... baby cried 1/3 of the way & the 2 kids sat in front had the occasional urge to recline chair for 30mins , then straighten it up - given my height, this didnt help in trying to view the v-port screen.
As for legroom - I found it not to bad on this flight, so much so I didnt have to use the aisle to stretch my legs out into - dont know how other seats compared, but 62c was pretty decent. Wife in 62a(or b?) had less room due to IFE box - but it didnt restrict her too much, when she wanted to stretch a little she used the extra room @ side of chair in front.
V-Port ... took nearly an hour before it was working after take off. After 15-20mins of checking it out, went with the movie 'Firewall' and that was me for the next hour & a half.
Food - snack (Worcester Sauce flavour pretzels I believe) tasty. Dinner - choice of Chicken / Sausage & Mash / Veg dish... Wife & I both had the chicken & it was hot, tasty & quite well presented - was half way through before realising wife had camera on her - so sadly no pics of anything before the hotel [:I] - cursed myself again LOL.
Only disappointing thing was being offered only one glass of wine. Whether staff were simply busy (plane was very full - we were almost finished our meals before some further forward in Y had been served!)
An ice-cream was also served (cant remember at what time - before the afternoon snack I think).
Afternoon snack - the shortbread rumours are true! Was offered chocolate fudge brownie or shortbread. Being from the land of shortbread, I plumped for the brownie... Mmmm [y]!
Coffee/Tea followed very soon after & right enough served in a cardboard cup - however I cant see pax being allowed to remove these from plane. These were served well before landing & before descent into JFK began the FAs had been round twice clearing everything away. Time wise, if you were de-planing with your coffee youd have a cold cuppa!
Touchdown was smooth , drawback of row 62 was waiting to deplane - however made up for this by walking past 2/3s of Y enroute to immigration.
Was through immigration very quickly too [^]. Picked up bags, walked out to the waiting area 2mins later my sister appeared via airtrain from T7 & cab shared into Manhattan.
All in all - possibly the best flight Ive had. Had a lot of expectations of Virgin & they didnt let me down anywhere. Superb from start to finish.

VPort - excellent! Worked great all flight (although someone in both row 60 & 61 required theirs to be reset mid-flight). I just watched the one movie & played a few games etc. Happy to report I twice won $1m, a few games of chess & revised a few phrases of some foreign languages. IFE & great service on board certainly made this the best flight Ive had across the pond - seemed like the shortest flight too!
#357064 by McCoy
10 Jun 2006, 16:57
That's so great that you enjoyed the flight, despite the crying baby and no wine refill!
#357068 by sahajesh
10 Jun 2006, 18:22
A good TR and timely for me as I'm due to fly to NYC on 13 June on the same flight and have picked a seat at the back (62A from memory).

Don't suppose you remember what the veg meal was by any chance? I've not selected one as I'll stuff my face in the CH so not too bothered plus if I order a special meal I forfeit any (remote) chance of an Op-Up.

If I stay at the back, I should get my first choice of meal anyway so either way it's not too bad!

Cheers,

Sahajesh.
#357086 by williestott
11 Jun 2006, 02:11
Originally posted by sahajesh
A good TR and timely for me as I'm due to fly to NYC on 13 June on the same flight and have picked a seat at the back (62A from memory).

Don't suppose you remember what the veg meal was by any chance? I've not selected one as I'll stuff my face in the CH so not too bothered plus if I order a special meal I forfeit any (remote) chance of an Op-Up.

If I stay at the back, I should get my first choice of meal anyway so either way it's not too bad!

Cheers,

Sahajesh.

As a committed carnivore sadly i didnt ask[:I] [:w]
Almost did - didnt fancy sausage & mash and I wasnt in the mood for chicken, but glad I had it [|:)]
All the veg with it was nice - broccoli mash (new one on me)... normally not a big broccoli fan, but the mash was nice!
No one around me had the veg, although a group all had the Kosher meal which looked & smelled nice!
#357097 by Nottingham Nick
11 Jun 2006, 09:45
Thanks for the TR, Willie. [y]

Always good for us Y passengers to hear about travel 'down the back'.

Nick
#357098 by AndyK
11 Jun 2006, 10:47
Cheers for the TR, nice to see some positive opinions of Y :)
#357106 by honey lamb
11 Jun 2006, 12:50
Originally posted by sahajesh

Cheers,

Sahajesh.

Here's the economy menu from another post
Originally posted by Jetstreamer

This is the new menu for Premium Economy and Economy on USA routes (there will be regional variations on other routes):-

Outbound

Chicken fillet with penne pasta, mushroom sauce and broccoli (on Sundays there will be a roast chicken dinner).

Beef stew with carrots, broccoli and roast potatoes.

Mushroom risotto with spinach garnished with parmesan and cherry tomatoes.

Inbound

BBQ beef with red bliss mashed potatoes, carrots and broccoli florets.

Chicken breast with egg noodles, green beans, squash and parmesan.

Vegetable canneloni with a chunky tomato sauce and parmesan.

and these are the Upper Class red wines

2004 Berrys' Own Selection C™tes du Rh™ne(from the Southern Rhone Valley, France)

2005 La Flor Cabernet Sauvignon (from Mendoza, Argentina)

2003 Tantalus Cabernet / Shiraz (from South Australia)

Enjoy! [y][y]

#357111 by sahajesh
11 Jun 2006, 13:54
Honeylamb,

You are a star![^]

Enjoy your holiday and if you get the opportunity, get an internal flight to Ayers Rock, a friend and I went two years ago as part of an RTW and it was the highlight of the trip.

Sahajesh.
Virgin Atlantic