Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#243717 by matt246
03 Jul 2006, 13:55
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
I thought I would post my economy trip report (at the end of the day E passengers must make up 60%+ of an aircraft revenue).

Background

I travelled with wife & 2 children (8 & 12) booked 11m in advance along with kids meals.

Checked in on-line - straight to bag drop at Manchester - absolutely fine - boarded the plane seats ok.

Now the problems - the earphones female jack plug did not work (+ several screens were not working)- I talked to the stewardess - reply 'In order to repair, the plane would be on the ground for too long' - managed to get the headphones working using some sticky tape (along with my son's and 10 other people on the plane !!!) - Food came around - you get what you get it was okay - kids had their pre-booked meal.

Prior to arrival a snack was passed out - and believe it or not they ran out of food - the kids got adult sandwiches when the kids 2 rows in front had kids sandwiches (we had pre-booked 11m in advance!!) - the wife and the people behind got nothing for 20mins - then a non-buttered sandwich with a piece of cucumber was dumped in front of her.

Arrived 30mins early.

Return: - with all the security at MCO - - I checked in online got to the desk the seats had changed - (was not impressed) - checked in (remember the tight security) - we were checked in for LGW not MAN - it was noticed by the checking clerk who was putting the luggage labels on - not the checking in clerk! Then everything had to be offloaded on the sys - we had to be re-checked in - I apologised for not being happy about the seat changes - she talked in Spanish to her mate - no apology for keeping us at the check-in for nearly 1 hour (yes 1 hour).

On the plane the kids screen was not working - and they were handed DVD players. Also we experienced a totally different class of service compared with the outward trip - we actually seen the stewardesses.

Conclusion - absolutely disgusted that Virgin could run out of food both adult and kids, Virgin should realise that the economy passengers make up the vast majority of the planes income (I assume), the fact that on a family orientated destination the entertainment was not working is very poor. The check - in could of had terrible consequences if we had managed to get past security. I have travelled all over the world with many different airlines in all classes and I have never been treated so poorly (the word 'cattle class' is true) Now that I can fly out of my local airport (Doncaster) to the USA with guaranteed seats, with food for 1/2 the price this now my preferred option in the future. I travelled with Virgin as they were always deemed to be the leaders, but this has come as a big shock to the sys. In work when I send my engineers I try to use Virgin (okay PE - but sometimes E) if this is the level of service which they are now supplying - I have of today stopped using them.

I think the issue here is that Virgin have become complacent - this view was also expressed by several other families @ Orlando who all agreed the service was very poor. (We went fly drive - I do not want to start about Dollar car hire). For the record I am not a regular moaning type of person - problems happen - but this was very poor service.
#360657 by Decker
03 Jul 2006, 14:11
This will be the flight you asking about here?

Sounds like you had the same plane that another person TRed on Mat. This really isn't good enough - IFE should work and preordered meals cannot - by definition - run out.

It would seem well worth a mail to Customer Services.

As an aside VS make more from their Business travellers who can pay up to 10x more for a seat than an economy passenger. So regretfully economy passengers tend to get the rawer end of the deal.

Apart from that thanks for the TR - it's always nice to see the pointy end balance redressed! What a shame it wasn't as positive as your last trip report.
#360669 by Scrooge
03 Jul 2006, 15:10
While I agree that the people sitting up in J do in general pay a lot more for the flight than the people in Y there in absolutely no reason for the food to run out.
#360835 by Treelo
03 Jul 2006, 22:33
Originally posted by Decker

So regretfully economy passengers tend to get the rawer end of the deal.

You are absolutely correct Decker, and speaking from experience, economy passengers from MAN get it worse than most. Me and the present Mrs Treelo are travelling Y from MAN next Apr for the first time in a couple of years; I'll let you know if things have changed. In the meantime, I have to say that Y travel from LHR is not recognisable as the same product.
#361135 by DaveVal
05 Jul 2006, 10:30
We have flown the MAN MCO route a few times since it was launched on a variety of aircraft, in Y W and Club Orlando, but not J yet!

One of our best flights, would you believe was our last flight on the Air Atlanta 742 It was clean and on the whole most things worked. (The recline was broken on the seat in front of me-I was looking after a 3 and a 5 year old so that was the least of my problems)

Throughout each flight both crew were superb. Polite, attentive, plenty of water, juice etc. Played with our youngest whilst at Glasgow, brought food for the kids who had missed breakfast because they were still asleep, extra pillows etc.

However, on quite a few of our flights we have felt that it was almost a charter operation in Y. Crew surly and discussing their rotas etc. an apparent shortage of drinks and the feeling that we are been done a favour flying with them. And it does seem to depend upon the crew. We have recognised a few different faces over the years and the quality of the crew has matched the enjoyment of the flight.

We have also had a couple of pre-order and meal problems, and sometimes can't help feeling that because MAN is not part of the London base, it is less organised or deemed less important. I realise that nearly everyone on board will be going on holiday so perhaps the feeling is that there is no need to try and secure repeat custom especially in J, but I've rarely seen an empty seat either off peak or school holidays. Both W and Club Orlando were full each time. (I've just re-read this, and realised that if the aircraft is always full, why should VS make an effort? They can always fill the plane.)

Lets hope the extra destinations and the new Glasgow/MCO is the start of an ever increasing operation and as such more effort is put into making sure the TV's work and that the correct amount of food and drink is loaded! I guess we could always hope for a better lounge too, but I'm not holding my breath!
#361141 by Treelo
05 Jul 2006, 12:50
Originally posted by DaveVal

However, on quite a few of our flights we have felt that it was almost a charter operation in Y. Crew surly and discussing their rotas etc. an apparent shortage of drinks and the feeling that we are been done a favour flying with them.
..... but I've rarely seen an empty seat either off peak or school holidays. Both W and Club Orlando were full each time. (I've just re-read this, and realised that if the aircraft is always full, why should VS make an effort? They can always fill the plane.)

So glad it wasn't just me who got the feeling of being treated like a second-class citizen. There really is a huge gulf in the standard of service offered to Y pax on flights originating in London and those from Manchester.

DaveVal, on the point of the full VS flights from MAN to MCO, have you considered how many operators fly direct between these two airports [;)]
#361158 by DaveVal
05 Jul 2006, 15:23
Yes-I give it a lot of (if not too much) thought.

The main draw for using VS is we feel VS75/76 are the best flight times both leaving and arriving each way, and we can fly W using 2 companion tickets for the price of Y. VS also offer the 'care chair' which we used a few times and found the kids settled better in it (just like a car seat).

We like Orlando airport. (I know quite a few don't) But when we arrive at immigration we have never waited longer than about 20 minutes. When we reach the fountains outside the Hyatt we know we're almost there!

All other carriers fly to Sanford, which I've heard very good reviews about. It's slighlty further away from WDW and for the reasons above, we haven't considered flying there yet.

Now getting very excited about our next trip this October. (One of these days I'll work out how attach a countdown to my posts!)
#361334 by droflet
06 Jul 2006, 19:17
I am now getting twitchy...[:I]

There is another thread (and if I knew how to link to it I would) about the demise in standards.

It would appear that Matt is another that has experienced this first hand, and alarmingly for me, this has been reinforced by the experiences of Dave and Treelo.

I am flying VS for the first time in September after many years of using a particular B&S operator flying into Sanford (Dave, I have no complaints about Sanford!). I am treating my pensioner parents to their first and probably last trip to the states. I wanted them to have an experience they would never forget so, given their reputation for service I chose VS over our normal carrier, albeit in Y (I'm not that rich!).That said, 5 tickets have cost me £1250 more than normal without the car! [:0]

I am/would be disgusted that the food ran out & IFE didn't function properly. The flight is not just the means of getting to your holiday destination but is PART of the holiday experience.

Dave is right this route is always going to be popular with B&S pax, but this is no reason to treat them with second rate service just because VS KNOW they can fill the flight.

There are plenty of charter flights, and surprisingly good ones, to Orlando at very competative prices (see note above!). We can allways vote with our feet.. sorry bums! That said I am hoping above hope that your experiences are few and far between, and our flight will live up to the 'billing'.

I would call, e-mail and write to customer services, somebody somewhere may listen!

Apologies if I seem to have hijacked the OP's thread, but I get annoyed when companies 'over promise then under deliver'[V]
#361362 by Treelo
06 Jul 2006, 22:14
Originally posted by droflet
I am now getting twitchy...[:I]

droflet

Please don't get twitchy. The thoughts above (certainly my thoughts) are only in print because I felt that VS had recently fallen below their own high standard on the MAN-MCO route. That said, I was comparing the standards to those I had encountered on my first VS flight some years ago. [:D] So, by default, as you never experienced the standards then, you should not notice any deterioration in standards now.

Don't get me wrong, VS is not infallible - no airline is - but I'm sure you'll find the flight up to your (and your parents)expectations. Food running out and IFE not working can happen on any flight - well those that offer IFE anyway - but it is certainly not the norm.

Enjoy your trip, and don't forget the TR when you come back [y]
#361406 by droflet
07 Jul 2006, 08:59
Thanks Treelo [:D]

Here's hoping for a good trip and I'll certainly do a TR to give you a 'virgins' viewpoint. [:w][y]
#361809 by Boyle73
10 Jul 2006, 12:37
Originally posted by matt246
On the plane the kids screen was not working - and they were handed DVD players. Also we experienced a totally different class of service compared with the outward trip - we actually seen the stewardesses.

Hi Matt246

I was on the same flight, sorry we did get our food though, just wondered if you were sitting in rows 23 as I spotted a couple of kids using the DVD players in that row and thought they looked quite good.

I will do a TR for our flights asap just back to work today after a month off so lots of catching up to do!
#361960 by easygoingeezer
11 Jul 2006, 11:58
Customer care has certainly gone down on the MAN route, I have noticed this over the last 5 years. I have a sneeky feeling its down to a small group of surly and anal crew members who are on certain flights and defo give passengers the impression that they are being done a great favour getting any attention at all.....all in all an expressionless 'am a bovvered' aura about them. When this mix is not on the route the atmosphere is totally different and enjoyable.

The excuse for things going pear shaped also seems to be the connecting codeshare flight from singapore being late.

Never had a single bad experience from LGW, always smiles, always happy to help and the Virgin magic still remains.

I wonder if the crew themselves are made to think they are second class staff members if they do the MAN routes and thats why they are always 'generally' glum and surly.
#361968 by xenole
11 Jul 2006, 13:04
I thought I would post my economy trip report (at the end of the day E passengers must make up 60%+ of an aircraft revenue).

Not generally true......

Say 300 people in economy, 20 in PE and 50 in UC (less UC for the Orland/Miami route)

Assume an average economy fare is £350; PE is £800 and UC is £2400.

So,
economy, £350 x 300 = £105000
PE, £800 x 20 = £16000
UC, £2400 x 50 = £120,000

In this case the minority of UC passengers are paying more than 6 times the economy passengers.
#361982 by pjh
11 Jul 2006, 14:19
Originally posted by xenole

Not generally true......

Say 300 people in economy, 20 in PE and 50 in UC (less UC for the Orland/Miami route)

So,
PE, £800 x 20 = £16000

In this case the minority of UC passengers are paying more than 6 times the economy passengers.

So UC are paying more than 6 times the Econ rate individually and contributing about half the total revenue. Econ still takes up 43% of the revenue.

I wonder what proportion of the ticket cost for UC goes on the various CH's around the world...

Paul
#362020 by easygoingeezer
11 Jul 2006, 17:17
Originally posted by pjh
Originally posted by xenole

Not generally true......

So,
PE, £800 x 20 = £16000

So UC are paying more than 6 times the Econ rate individually and contributing about half the total revenue. Econ still takes up 43% of the revenue.

I wonder what proportion of the ticket cost for UC goes on the various CH's around the world...

Paul

Erm sod all in Manchester[:(!]
#362030 by pjh
11 Jul 2006, 18:54
Originally posted by easygoingeezer

Paul
[/quote]

Erm sod all in Manchester[:(!]
[/quote]

Oops. Touched a nerve there with my insensitivity [:#]
Virgin Atlantic