Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#243997 by mike-smashing
19 Jul 2006, 03:48
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
...and so, on to the return leg, and my first GNF experience. My usual trick coming back from BOS on the 744 would be to go snooze upstairs, but I thought I should go and see what that gianormous thread was about. [;)]

Airport Experience
OLCI didn't work for the return on this booking either, so something weird was definitely going on with this PNR.

Despite the road closures caused by a tragic accident in the Williams Tunnel connector road last week, meaning the only way in to Logan was via the Callahan Tunnel or Route 1A from the North East, the traffic was only heavy and crawling along, rather than stationary. This meant I made it to Logan shortly after 5.30pm, where I could see that once again I'd be travelling on G-VFAB. I didn't fly her once as 'Birthday Girl', but now she's plain old 'Lady P' again, there she is!

I headed over to UC check-in, and one of the nice things that the BOS document screeners do is recieve a print of each UC and Gold e-ticket booking for that evening, then if you've forgotten a printed itinerary or confirmation, they have one there for you. I think SFO still do this. It's a nice touch which saves you some time if you don't have the appropriate bits of dead tree to hand.

I joined the queue, and waited behind a couple who were checking in vast amounts of stuff. Turns out they were going on safari in Africa, so they also had guns to check in. I got myself dug in for a long delay, while a Massachusetts State Trooper came over to check that the firearms were made safe for travel.

Eventually, after someone managed to jump the queue by waiting in the line for the ticket desk, and then I got checked in by the ticket desk agent. She was quite efficient, and confirmed that I was happy sat in the 'full service' area rather than 'snooze'. The couple checking in the firearms were still being dealt with, even after I was ready to leave the counter. There seemed to be much discussion among the handling staff about the procedure for properly clearing the firearm. I guess it's something that they don't have to do every single day.

Despite the challenge of the sporting guns, it still took around 20 minutes to be seen by a check-in agent, and quite a queue had built up behind me. What, with the firearms, and a large family off to Lahore with everything but the kitchen sink packed in U-Haul boxes, it was a busy evening.

However, there was only one Upper desk open, one Premium desk, a couple of Y desks, and the bag drop. That seemed less than I remember on previous occasions out of BOS. The other thing that I noticed was that the check-in staff, with one exception, weren't all wearing full VS uniform. They were wearing bits of the uniform, and I don't think it gave a first class impression of VS, compared to the employed staff we used to have at BOS or the staff over at LHR. Shirt and no tie might by okay over at Easyjet, but I don't think so on VS!

So, I still remain dubious about the outsourcing of the US stations, I'm afraid.

Through the 'side' security check which leads down to the Northwest gates, and the shared lounge - the Northwest World Club. There wasn't a huge line at this search comb, things kept moving, and my 'moccasin'-type shoes (which really shouldn't need removing at all) made the shoe carnival a little more bearable.

Still a fair amount of construction going on at Terminal E, in evidence on the walk through to the NW World Club, where I was greeted by the Virgin rep on reception, who then handed me a note saying, 'Sorry, can't guarantee hot water in Revivals. It's all BAA's fault.'

Of course, it was boiler maintenance time. I remember something similar this time last year. At least they were trying to manage our expectations.

Quite a busy evening here, because the two Alitalia flights were delayed, but I found a seat not far from the buffet area, and helped myself to the Becks beer on tap.

The NW lounge isn't the greatest on the planet, but it's better than sitting up in the crowded main terminal area waiting to board, unless you're lucky enough to get one of the rocking chairs by the window. It's a real contrast being in this terminal early in the morning, as it's usually very quiet then, compared to the rush hour when planes are leaving to cross the Atlantic every 30 minutes.

The dinner buffet was promptly descended on by a handful of VS pax, and then stripped bare by gannets from other airlines, who I never saw again during the trip. I actually wasn't that bothered, waited for the melee to die down and then just went and finished the remnants of the cheeseboard off.

Just after 7pm, the boarding call was made, so I gathered my stuff together and left the NW lounge with it's wall-to-wall US news channels on the TV, some of which had less than objective coverage about the situation in the Middle East.

I'm looking forward to when VS do build their Clubhouse in BOS. I just wonder where it will be located? Right now, the advantage of going to the NW World Club is that you get to use the slightly less busy TSA search comb which leads down to the E1 gates. The lines for the main search comb seemed quite big when I walked past on my way down the concourse to Virgin's usual gate of E8A.

The good news is that there seemed to be a lot more seating now provided airside in terminal E, to supplement the rocking chairs, and there is more development going on with the retail and refreshment facilities. The retail sections in terminal E are now let out to a BAA subsidiary, so it will be interesting to see how things develop there.

As I got closer in to the Virgin gate, there was the usual sea of people waiting to get on their flights, with both Air France, Lufthansa and Alitalia all boarding at the same time. A quick bit of weaving in the crowd got me to the front, where there was no priority boarding sign, but I did spy a red carpet. They were only just starting to board, but the visible purple boarding card did it's magic, and I was ushered through, and down the escalator to airbridge level to join the aircraft.

Departure
Settled into 18D for the flight home. I quite like this 'tucked away' seat, you seem to be fairly well shielded from noise at the bar, unless people are talking loudly. Drinks and papers were offered, it would be rude not to, so I went for a glass of LP and an Independant on Sunday. With the seat upright, you don't get a bad view out of the windows actually, either.

I noticed that the area around the removeable divider was rather scratched and 'dinged up'. I guess that getting the divider out is a bit tricky, and it gets stuck or something. So, I'm going to mark the seat down for looking a bit tired.

Sleep suits were offered, though I didn't take one this time, and one of the crew came around with the envelope style Snooze/Scrooge Packs. I've yet to see one of the dreaded plastic bags.

The crew also asked if I would be eating this evening, or wanted the 'turndown and nightcap'. I wanted to eat, so I said I'd take a hot meal.

I have to say, the GNF menu is quite disappointing/abbreviated...

You have the choice of:

'Nightcap and Turndown'... hot chocolate with macaroons, herbal tea with something, or something stronger from the bar.

'Cold Supper Tray'... the usual Chicken Caesar salad from the regular eastbound menu.

'Hot Supper Tray'... a choice of either Steak or the Mushroom Wellington, served with 'Virgin House Salad'.

If you wanted dessert, there was ice cream.

I didn't see any mention on the menu of the promised 'savoury items' that are mentioned in VS' description of the GNF service on the website, unless there was a cheese selection that I didn't notice. I was thinking there may have been a light-bite choice or two.

Stop spinning with this VS, and be honest so people know what to expect. Two choices of hot main, not 'several'. If you're going to say 'savoury items', load them. Also, I'd be careful with GNF out of BOS, as even though it's a short flight, the dinner buffet isn't up to the same standard as the food at JFK or IAD, and people may have rumbling tums.

Anyway... I digress. The plane continued to fill up, and we had another fairly busy J cabin again. Quite a change from my last BOS trip in January.

We pushed back fairly close to time at 2004 local, and taxied out to Runway 4R for departure. With wheels up at 2022 local, we headed off for Newfoundland to make the Atlantic crossing.

In Flight
Once the seatbelt sign was off, the crew set about serving the nightcaps, sorting beds out for those who wished it, and checking any hot meal orders we're still valid and that person hadn't dropped off to sleep. I decided I'd go with the mushroom wellington.

Then the cold supper trays were brought around, I guess this was about 30 mins after wheels up, and v:port got fired up about then, so I had a go on the new sudoko game, which was okay, but the controls took a bit of getting used to, they weren't 100% intuitive, if you ask me, so 'Entertainment' gets knocked down a spot, and I went back to the trusty old standby of Trivia Challenge, giving someone a sound thrashing!

Lights had also been dropped to that very sexy dim purple at this stage.

I'd guess it was an hour after wheels up by the time my meal appeared, which wasn't that much different to how I recall full-blown 'Freedom' on this flight, and lights were out by then, so I was eating by reading lamp.

One thing to note is that I wasn't offered a drink or anything else before my meal arrived, which I thought a bit weird. Yes, I know I could have just stopped someone, but that would have interrupted them serving someone else who was desperate for their chicken salad and shuteye, so I didn't feel too comfortable doing that. I suppose I could have just got up and propped up the bar.

I wonder if it would be better if those who weren't taking 'nightcap and turndown' (i.e. served immediately after departure) got a cocktail order taken while still on the ground, so these could be distributed at the same time as the nightcap service? I wonder how that would affect the service flow? Is there someone to staff the bar and make the drinks up? Maybe the J CSS? Borrow someone from upstairs once beds are made and everyone's settled? Hmm.

Anyway, on to the food. I notice that the real VS 'propeller and engine' cruet is back on the GNF tray, rather than sachets, which I think is a good thing.

The 'house salad' was a small caesar salad - I wish they would have given you a choice of salad dressing. I wouldn't have minded a nice balsamic or vinaigrette. UA give you a choice of dressing on side salads in Business class.

The big surprise, which lifted the Food & Drink to a good, despite it being a GNF, was the mushroom wellington. One word, yum. Cooked to perfection with a light crusty pastry shell concealing tasty sauteed mushrooms and peppers. I think there was some tomato in there too - I've got a feeling there's a slice of tomato on top of the bottom pastry layer when they put the thing together. Anyway, that was a very enjoyable dish, with the light madeira sauce and a nice al-dente carrot stack.

Presentation of the Hot Supper tray itself was excellent - plates and bowls with the little aeroplane at 12 o'clock, for example. I've also seen the mushroom wellington served both on a plate, and in a bowl. The plate definitely looks better. The Upper food bowls are okay for soup, salads and desserts, but they somehow seem quite odd - maybe just plain wrong - with main meals in them.

Runs with bread and water were made during the cold tray and hot meal service.

I followed this up with ice cream and a cappucino. Ice cream was, well ice cream, with pirouline wafers and chocolate sauce. If only VS used 'local' produce where possible - I'd already been spoiled by Toscanini's this weekend. Wouldn't it be great if VS could offer a 'taste of...' in their meals, rather than generic flight catering - for locations with distinctive or unique local food?

The cappucino was served with a continental-style coffee biscuit - like you see a lot in Belgium and the Netherlands - however, this one had 'stealth' chocolate on the bottom of it, leading to sticky fingers. Where are the tissues from my amenity kit when I need it? Oh, of course, I have a Scrooge Pack now... The biscuit itself though, I thought was a very nice touch, really aiming for that restaurant-style.

Watched some of the documentary about Enron - quite interesting stuff, to be honest, and rather timely given news of Kenneth Lay's recent passing. I'm amazed how they got away with it for so long, but not surprised that it came crashing down the way it did. They got too complacent, I think, and bit off more than they could chew. The links to the Bush family I find in someways sickening and in others ironic.

I'd checked the NAT tracks and the weather for our flight, and right on schedule we hit our patch of turbulence about 40 mins east of Gander. We got bounced around a tiny bit, the seatbelt light pinged on, and then things smoothed back out again.

When the seatbelt sign went off, I went and sat at the bar for a little while and chatted with some of the crew, including the FSM and IFBT who was taking a break from mangling people's muscles. I think I've been very fortunate with crews on this trip, they were both excellent. We had at least one V-Flyer watcher among the staff on this trip too [;)].

Well, all too soon, the sun rose, and you could even see the tone of the windowshades change from the intensity... and they are like little radiators if you touch them! Breakfast time had rolled around.

On the GNF menu, they don't have any full hot breakfast items, just the bacon rolls, bakery items (croissants and bagels), fruit and cereals. Obviously they are encouraging the use of Revivals if you want anything more substantial.

The crew had also made up some very nice-looking fresh fruit with yoghurt which they laid out in glasses on the bar. The breakfast on the bar was a good spread on this flight, if you ask me. Quite nice. Wish I'd taken a picture of it.

The captain came on as we were cruising somewhere over the Irish Sea, announcing a great view of the Lake District over on the left, and about 30 minutes to go. The crew started to pack the cabin up once we were in the descent. Good to see another crew leaving the cabin open as long as they could.

Then we were heading down over Birmingham for Bovingdon, where we did a lap of the hold before making a left downwind for 09L at Heathrow, landing about 15 minutes early at 0713 local.

The landing seemed a little fast, and apparently this is because we were tankering some extra fuel. There is still fuel rationing in place at Heathrow as a consequence of the Buncefield oil depot fire, and so the BOS flight brings some extra fuel in, and this aircraft usually turns around and works VS19, so they don't need to uplift quite as much fuel for that long sector. The same is probably true of the aircraft which turns round to work VS7.

Arrival
We had to taxi around the roadworks at Heathrow a fair bit, until we got to our parking position, stand 335 (gate 35), at 0727. There then seemed to be some very jerky jetway driving up to the L2 door, before we could get off!

I stopped into the lav up on the arrivals level by Gate 35. The facilities were in a poor state - smelling bad, dirty, no soap, hand towels run out. I filled in a feedback form for BAA on their website, and to their credit, I had an email in my mailbox this morning, telling me they had been checked later that day, agreeing that they were definitely below the required standard, and apologising for providing an embarassing welcome home to the UK! So, I think kudos due to BAA for actually following up on their customer feedback.

I have to say, I love the IRIS system! There were big queues at the EU lanes, but I just zipped through the IRIS turnstile. The system seemed faster than last time, so maybe they have been tuning and improving the software?

Even better, just as I got to the carousel, my bag came out! Priority baggage seemed to have worked this time, so well done to VS, lets see if they can keep this up!

I headed out through Customs, all nice and shiny and remodelled now, and up to Revivals, where the usual team welcomed me, said that there had been hot water this morning, so I should give shower room 18 a go, and offered me a treatment (though I didn't fancy one actually). I've noticed that this particular Revivals agent is very keen on making good use of the salon and offering treatments - excellent stuff if you ask me, making sure people have a chance to get the full experience.

Sent a clean shirt to be ironed, and managed a few minutes of warm shower before things started to go tepid again. Damn. Oh well. I did get a new style of shower room - this was the one which is alternating cream and gold-ish coloured (kind of summery) tiles. I've not had the blue-themed one yet. I usually get the style with the coloured flecked tiles.

Had a cappucino to give me enough of a caffeine kick to get me home (with the Virgin 'V' sprinkled into the chocolate on the top), and rather fancied some Special K, but they didn't have any, so settled for cornflakes, before gathering my things and leaving for home.

Headed off to the HEx, used an upgrade voucher there, and headed back to SE London by way of Bakerloo, Jubilee (cross-platform at Baker Street, handy when you have bags) and a cab from North Greenwich. Home and in bed by 10.30am! Nice to have a day off!

All in all, a good flight, another great crew, and everything on time.

The GNF isn't a bad idea - I get what VS are trying to achieve, it is well suited to those overnight flights from the East Coast, but I wonder if it can be improved up on or fine tuned. One of the crew did comment to me that many passengers were choosing to eat that evening, more than normal, so maybe that plus sitting at the back of the J cabin was what made it seem a bit strange.

Slightly disappointed by the check-in experience in BOS, though they were busy, admittedly, and it's a shame that BAA still have to cut the hot water off on Revivals - something's amiss there, as showers are their main reason for being!

Hope you enjoyed the report. Now, off to try and fix this jetlag...

Cheers,
Mike
#363295 by slinky09
19 Jul 2006, 06:44
Great TR, good stuff. I flew BOS-LHR two weeks ago and also had the Mushroom Wellington, likewise was very pleased with it.
#363309 by iforres1
19 Jul 2006, 09:59
Thanks for a full and entertaining TR Mike,

Not likely to try a GNF myself so interesting to read your take on it. As for LHR and BAA, I think it will get worse before it gets better. Between the carparks, the abysmall T3 I really do try and avoid it regardless of what carrier I am flying. Always have preferred LGW for some reason[:I]

Good stuff[y]
Iain
#363355 by Decker
19 Jul 2006, 15:30
Excellent report - thank you Mike![oo]
#363356 by Mavrick
19 Jul 2006, 15:41
Another excellent TR, Mike Thank you. [y] [y]
#363422 by VS045
19 Jul 2006, 20:07
Thanks Mike![y]

Interesting comments about the GNF - I haven't tried it myself and have remained decidedly negative from my speculative viewpoint. However, your experience didn't seem so bad so maybe I'll have to rethink my views.[;)]

One question, what is a 'turndown?'[:I]

VS.
#363497 by milehigh
20 Jul 2006, 01:24
Nice TR Mike, (also enjoyed the OB TR)

I also experienced BOS recently and Know exactly what you mean about the lack of uniforms behind Check-in and I actually passed my comments on to the appropriate people.

It sounds that the concept of The GNF didnt work too well on that flight either

[:?]

maybe it had something to do with the fact you mentioned so many were eating ? Which could have something to do with the food in the lounge at BOS not being as good as say JFK or LHR?

Its good that the lounge staff advised you about the Arrivals may not have hot water, I must admit I also informed my customers recently as I was working in snooze and thought it should be mentioned incase they wanted to skip Breakfast onboard and have the full monty? Did your crew also advise you?

Good point about the Snooze pack not having tissues when you need them! Dont you just wish oneday to bump into the person you was responsible and tell them?

Did you not get offered the Cheese tselection they have camembert and double diamond cheddar on GNF with crackers?

Anyway love the link on Toscaninis will have to check it out next time in Boston! Looks good...

Thanks again for a good TR

John
#363511 by mkbski
20 Jul 2006, 05:59
Uniforms - Is veryone aware there have been big problems with VS uniform distributor in UK resulting in uniform shortages?? I do believe that in Boston, there are new staff who are still waiting fro proper uniforms.

Thanks,

MKB[:D]
#363652 by VS045
20 Jul 2006, 21:25
I'm sure I heard a while ago that VS were looking at new uniforms - some designers that got EGG all excited[;)][}:)]

VS.
Virgin Atlantic