Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#244151 by Graham Fuller
29 Jul 2006, 00:10
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Well it was the return flight back to England from Sunny Calafornia. When we arrived at LAX the airport was rather busy [mostly of the passengers boarding our flight]. The Night before we checked in online which went well and got row 36 in the middle. Once we got to the front of the bag drop queue and eventually checked in we found that online check-in did nothing really as we had to go through all the same check-in procedures as everyone else [but it did guarentee our seats which was a plus].
The Security queue through LAX was suprisingly easy and fast even though the queue could of been made easier if they weren't asking everyone to take their shoes off, but cant really complain.
When through security we took the short walk to gate 27, were we could see our flight already parked at the gate and the departures board said everything was running to schedual.
The Flight was later delayed 30 minutes due to late arriving crew; soon after boarding staff started to board the aircraft from the back of the aircraft forward, [which was pointless as there were people everywere trying to board first]. Once on the aircraft [G-VBIG] we sat down and went through the normal saftey procedures and taxied to the runway. An Announcement over the PA Said 'Cabin Crew take seats for landing' even though we hadn't even taken off yet [she soon realised her mistake]. Then the captain announce 'One Minute til Airborne' even though we wern't anywhere near the end of the runway yet. But he wasn't joking it must of been the fastest takeoff ive ever experienced, he had full throttle on whilst we were still turning onto the runway![8D]
Once after a smooth takeoff V:Port Began[^] [Must be the best timepassing entertainment ive ever expirienced] We got our Dinner [which was great] then the lights dimmed for people to sleep. Didnt really see much of the crew after that [which i suppose is understanderable as most people are asleep] unless they were passing out tea and coffee.
About a hour before landing breakfast was handed out [which was also great] and soon after we landed in LHR.
Departing the plane seemed like a task in itself as we got put onto a remote stand all the passengers had to be bused to the terminal, which was a rather slow, but it wasn't VA's fault.
Once in the terminal our bags were already at the baggage pickup point.
The Flight Was Great. But I preffer the Airbus A340-600 to the 747-400!!
#364614 by buns
29 Jul 2006, 09:59
Graham

Hi and welcome to V-flyer.

Thank you for posting an informative TR on your flight back from LAX[y]

Can you recall what the dinner and breakfast offerings were?? There will be many who read you TR, who are shortly to be using VS for their summer holiday trips so this would be useful.

Many thanks

buns
#364623 by Mavrick
29 Jul 2006, 11:26
Graham,thank you for the TR,and I'm glad to know you had a good flight. [y] [:D]
#364645 by Neil
29 Jul 2006, 15:50
Good TR - always like Y one's for some reason

Neil[:)]
#364672 by Graham Fuller
29 Jul 2006, 23:37
The Meal Was Meat and Pasta or Chicken! It wasn't as nice a LHR meals, but it wasn't half bad. Then You got a breakfast meal which was a cheese sandwich, which was also nice.
+ Anyone flighing to or from LA has most chance of getting V:PORT [unless aircraft change] as only A340-600 & LHR Versions of 747-400 fly there.
However I'd stick with VS024 & VS024 as they are usually A340-600 which seem to make a better flight!!

I Like to read Y Class TR to, but this is because there is no chance in Hell id ever fly in Upper On PE!![n]
#364673 by pjh
30 Jul 2006, 00:33
Originally posted by Graham Fuller

I Like to read Y Class TR to, but this is because there is no chance in Hell id ever fly in Upper On PE!![n]

Thanks for the TR.

And from a Y class traveller, upgrades can happen. If you're asked whether you're willing to be bumped, and can cope with delay, say yes. At worst you'll get a thank you, at best a Select voucher and somewhere in the middle an upgrade to PE.
#364715 by Neil
30 Jul 2006, 16:11
Originally posted by Graham Fuller

lol - you never know, I used to always think I would never be able to fly Premium classes, but thanks to a special offer flew PE and now am certain I won't fly Y again, even trying to persuade my wallet to let me fly UC, stupid special offers[V]

Neil
#364722 by Jetstreamer
30 Jul 2006, 16:29
Originally posted by buns4vs
Can you recall what the dinner and breakfast offerings were?? There will be many who read you TR, who are shortly to be using VS for their summer holiday trips so this would be useful.

Many thanks

buns

Here are the current menus for Premium Economy and Economy:-

UK to USA =

Chicken with penne pasta with mushroom sauce and broccoli (on Sundays this is replaced with a roast Chicken dinner).

Beef with carrots, broccoli and roast potatoes.

Mushroom risotto with spinach, parmesan and cherry tomatoes.

USA to UK =

BBQ beef with mashed potatoes, carrots and broccoli florets.

Chicken breast slices with egg noodles, green beans, squash and parmesan.

Vegetable canneloni with a chunky tomato sauce and parmesan.

The outbound and inbound 2nd service varies by route.

Hope this helps [:)]
#364774 by buns
30 Jul 2006, 22:18
Neil

Many thanks - good poinbt about the ex-LHR offering

Jetstreamer

Thanks for the low down
#364814 by pjh
31 Jul 2006, 09:32
Originally posted by Attitude23

lol - you never know, I used to always think I would never be able to fly Premium classes, but thanks to a special offer flew PE and now am certain I won't fly Y again, even trying to persuade my wallet to let me fly UC, stupid special offers[V]

Neil

Good point. I tend to dismiss Special Offers from my mind as they tend to be outside the school holiday periods to which our travelling is limited. If you've the flexibility I presume you can pick up some bargains.

Graham - good TR by the way. Good to hear you had a relatively rapid ascent. I hate it when you push back from the gate and still have a half hour to-ing and fro-ing along taxiways.

Paul
Virgin Atlantic