Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#244167 by seany
30 Jul 2006, 03:02
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Well it was back to london after A week in the sun at Grenada. After lounging around the pool for the remainder of our last day at the Calabash Hotel, we (my mother & I) got ready for the short taxi journey to the airport.

Once we arrived at the airport, it was a relief to get into the air conditioned terminal and find the VS check-in right in front of us. We approached the queue, but before had to be seen to by the security woman standing just before the line. Everything seemed normal as ever and as I took a step into the line, the woman told us that one of us had to check-in while the other stood with the bags in a separate queue [:0]. I asked why this was the case and it was because the VS check-in had no conveyor belts[:(], and was told this was what it was like every week.

So I checked-in and was then told that I could not check my mum in and so had to hold the entire queue up behind me while she made it over from the other queue to the check-in queue, we tried for the upgrade to upper but there was only 1 seat left which I offered to my mother but she didn't take it. There was a lot of moaning and groaning going on behind me as lots of other couples/families were having to do the same thing. I had really never seen anything like this before. A really weird system they had !

Anyway, having made it through that chaos we proceed through security, emigration and security again and finally reached the empty and cool departure lounge. I pulled up a chair in the empty bar and watched the comings and goings of aircraft out on the tarmac, while our aircraft, G-VXLG(Ruby Tuesday) awaited departure. The scheduled departure was 17.30, yet I still found myself downing a a carib beer at 18.00 without a word from VS [n].

Finally at 18.30 an announcement was made apologising for the late departure, and told it was due to a technical difficulty. Premium economy and UC passengers were called up first (first time that has happened in a while to me), so up I got and presented my boarding card at the gate, and was met by pleasently cool air as I walked towards the great 744. One thing I love about boarding in the caribbean is that 9 out of 10 times the path to the plane takes you right up close and personal to the 744, and I always get that tingly feeling no matter how many times I have done it.

As a beautiful sunset was developing, I boarded the aircraft and proceeded upstairs to seat 79A. I took my seat and was offered the usual orange juice/champaign/water and flicked throught the seatback magazines. There was a beautiful glow coming through the windows into the cabin, it was simply stunning.

Only about 100 passengers were boaring in Grenada, the rest in Tobago so it was a very empty upstairs cabin. We had a captain onboard and two first officers, one of which was going to fly to Tobago and get off. I noticed there was a member of ground staff who after leaving the cockpit, didn't depart the aircraft but sat down in one of the seats in our cabin. I then realised that I had recognised him on the TAB-GND leg of my outbound journey, so I assumed he just hops inbetween the islands whenever there is a VS flight.

So One and a half hours later than planned, we departed from a very scenic runway for the 35 minute flight to TAB. The captain told us he would be keeping the seatbelt sign on for the duration of this short flight, but said we could go to the toilet if neccessary and no drinks/food were served on this part of the journey either. So 35 mins later we arrived in TAB and had a the remaining passengers filled up every seat onboard. I was hoping that we would get a couple of quiet people in front so a good nights sleep could be had, but unfortunately a very energetic brother and sister were sat in front (luckily they settled down soon after take off).

One thing I noticed about the seat I was in, which I had never noticed before with premium seats is how 'loose' it is. If you just slightly lift your weight from the seat the seat moves quite a way forward and then the same happens when you sit back, accompanied by a squeeky noise [n]. I doubt this would happen with the new style premium seats, I am yet to try them but will be on my next trip.

After a quick turn around we made the very short taxi to the runway and were ready to depart to london at 20.00. There was about a 10 minute delay before the captain started rolling, no idea why. So after the seatbelt signs were turned off, the cabin crew came around serving drinks and dinner. For a drink I had a rum&coke and the dinner choices were:

1. Mushroom Risotto
2. Chicken
3. Beef

I opted for the risotto which was delicious. After dinner I had a quick flick through the films which were on and decided to watch 'Big mommas house 2,' as I was in the mood for some comedy. It turned out to be better than I thought it would be [:)].

3 and a half hours into the flight I attempted to sleep for a couple of hours but this proved to be unsuccessful [xx(]. I usually sleep very well on flights but for some reason after trying a variety of positions and music to send me to sleep, I just couldn't. And then you know how it is, you keep thinking about trying to sleep and your doomed from that point onwards [:p].

I sat in my seat listening to corrine bailey rey, dosing off but never actually falling asleep for more than 15 minutes..grr[n]. Time passed by and it was roughly 2 and a half hours before landing when the first sign of the morning light could be seen, and then a beautiful sun rise developed, unfortunately on the other side of the aircraft to me. Then the cabin crew who had not been seen for many hours served breakfast which consisted of a yogurt and muffin, after which tea and coffee were served.

During the last hour before landing, I noticed that the FSM had been visiting the cockpit on numerous occasions, something was up. The captain later made announcement of our landing time and pattern and then said we had priority over all other traffic due to a medical emergency[:(]

As we approached LGW there were no clouds in the morning sky, but it was very hazy. We had a very bumpy landing into Gatwick and as we were taxiing to the gate, the captain announced that we all had to wait until the paramedics had taken off the ill passenger once at the gate.

After another 20 mins of waiting we eventually were let off the aircraft after a very long and tiring flight (especially for me[|)]). After proceeding through imigration, our bags were waiting already so we could very quickly get out of the terminal and onto the Gatwick Express and get home. I never found out what the emergency was but it seemed pretty bad as there were a lot of medics waiting to get on the aircraft,I am surprised we did not divert to another airport if it was really serious

Check-in was a bit dodgey, but all in all good service from VS as usual, just tiring for me.
#364725 by Neil
30 Jul 2006, 16:41
Good TR - thanks, sounds like the check in was a shambles and maybe something VS need to look at.

Neil