Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#244207 by ChuckC
01 Aug 2006, 12:46
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This trip to London was a much anticipated break from work and began at New York's Pennsylvania Station, where my nephew, V-Flyer 'Slink' and I, hopped aboard a Long Island Railroad train to Jamaica station. At Jamaica we quickly transferred to JFK's AirTrain and in about thirty minutes total we had easily covered the often agonizingly slow transfer between NYC and JFK. If you haven't tried this method of transfer, more often than not it surely trumps taking a cab. It's less expensive, too.

The AirTrain discharged us at the T-4 elevated station and we made our way into the terminal. At the ticketing desk I finally scored an upgrade for Slink to Upper, having had no luck in the week prior to the flight, despite there being 10-15 seats open. The message, oft heard before, is 'keep trying', even if it means the last-minute fingers crossed exercise at the airport.

I pause here to compliment both the ticketing agent and the check-in agent who were courteous and helpful, happily exceeding other recent VS check-in experiences. This was the right way to begin a journey, I thought. Or course, being handed an Upper Class boarding pass produces a decent feeling as well. [:p]

Walking the short distance to the VS Clubhouse we were again warmly welcomed. We requested Revivals passes. The Clubhouse hostess said, 'I have to warn you now, that Revivals has no hot water'. After two months of repairs, I queried? 'The problem is with the BAA', the hostess replied. This must be really grinding to VS, to have the airport authority at Heathrow keeping them from delivering on the full benefits of flying UC. We took the passes nevertheless as we intended to sleep onboard and I wanted Slink to see Revivals.

The CH was quiet when we arrived. I spied several of the regular staff who were friendly and seemed in a happy mood. We ordered drinks and Slink strolled around the CH to have a look at the various offerings. The CH menu sat on our window-side table; spying it, Slink suggested we share the seared tuna on angel hair pasta, with basil and tomato. It was delicious, hot and tasty! After another glass of wine we took the server's recommendation and shared one of the daily specials, a Cuban-inspired plate of pulled pork, rice, salsa and guacamole -- excellent.

At this point, you would be quite right to ask whether Slink and I have bottomless stomachs. We did seem to eat quite a lot, and then dessert was offered, a warm bread pudding with vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce and a shake of cinnamon. Our friendly server suggested coffee which we declined as sleep was our next appointment.

Speaking of which, it was just then time to board. Our excellent Clubhouse experience really had us looking forward to the flight and a good night's sleep. I'd checked ExpertFlyer at the CH and learned our outbound aircraft would be Cosmic Girl. She was sitting proudly at the gate when we arrived and in no time, we were offered early boarding. Slink and I had selected the Snooze Zone (on the 744 it is upstairs) and after a friendly greeting from a FA who remembered me from my flight to LHR in May, we were soon changed into our 'ninja' sleep suits. Seeing the cardboard UC snooze kit on my ottoman I asked a passing FA her opinion of this severely reduced offering. 'Embarassed', she replied. Enough said and hopefully VS is just running out inventory,bidding adieu to whoever suggested this horrible idea, and hard at work readying a decent amenity kit for UC pax. There are other threads on this topic; suffice to say that at the moment there really is no UC amenity kit, only cardboard and earnest apologies.

Takeoff was on-time, our beautiful Cosmic Girl carrying us gently aloft, executing a wide turn before heading to the northeast.

I awoke after about four hours of sleep, quickly consuming some coffee and one of my favorite bacon butties. Slink was stirring, and a good thing, too, as the captain was just announcing the commencement of our descent into Heathrow. The obligatory holding pattern was next though skies over the English countryside were clear. Fortunately we circled for only 10-15 minutes before a smooth landing. A long taxi later, we arrived on stand at one of the far gates and soon were having the long walk to Fast Track which, thanks to bunched arrivals, was more akin to Slow Track.

Revivals was quite full. Slink and I both wanted a shower, even if the water was to be cold. Surprisingly the shower was more room temperature rather than frigid, and very refreshing. Breakfast was next and then Slink and I set off for the Heathrow Express to begin our long weekend.

Overall an excellent experience, particularly at check-in and in the Clubhouse, topped off by a professional, friendly crew and the beautifully sleek Cosmic Girl -- if only I looked as good!

Chuck-
#364973 by mitchja
01 Aug 2006, 12:55
Excellent TR thanks Chuck [:)]

Sorry I missed you guys this time.

Regards
#364975 by HighFlyer
01 Aug 2006, 12:58
A truly wonderful read Chuck! Glad you and Slink had a seemingly flawless flight!

An excellent recommendation on the AirTrain [y] Although that journey to/from the airport is certainly one that all first time visitors to Manhattan have to experience! [;)]

The Clubhouse hostess said, 'I have to warn you now, that Revivals has no hot water'. After two months of repairs, I queried?

Surely these are not the same repairs that were being carried out when LRoM and I came back from IAD in April? Revivals were offering shower facilities at one of the neighbouring hotels if i recall, but after a red-eye all you want is a cooked breakfast and a hot shower within staggering distance!

Thanks,
Sarah
#364976 by Decker
01 Aug 2006, 12:58
An excellent report Chuck. How nice for Slink that you prevailed - wish I had an Uncle like that! Perhaps it'll be my turn to be that Uncle as my nephews grow older [;)].

It's good that the FAs are so frank about the amenity kits. One can only share their pain!

Once again a pleasure to see you - perhaps we'll eventually have a VF bash in Memphis [:)].
#364979 by ChuckC
01 Aug 2006, 13:13
Originally posted by HighFlyer
A truly wonderful read Chuck! Glad you and Slink had a seemingly flawless flight!

An excellent recommendation on the AirTrain [y] Although that journey to/from the airport is certainly one that all first time visitors to Manhattan have to experience! [;)]

The Clubhouse hostess said, 'I have to warn you now, that Revivals has no hot water'. After two months of repairs, I queried?

Surely these are not the same repairs that were being carried out when LRoM and I came back from IAD in April? Revivals were offering shower facilities at one of the neighbouring hotels if i recall, but after a red-eye all you want is a cooked breakfast and a hot shower within staggering distance!

Thanks,
Sarah

Afraid so, Sarah, yes.[V]
#364985 by AerJohn
01 Aug 2006, 13:36
Great TR Chuck. We were told on the 29th in HKG that there would be no hot water at revivals aswell. When we got there we were told we could use the AA lounge(i think) or risk a cold shower. I risked it and it was actually perfect
#364989 by Gelding
01 Aug 2006, 13:44
Surely these are not the same repairs that were being carried out when LRoM and I came back from IAD in April

Nope they are probably the ones from when i was coming back from SFO 18 months ago!!! We got parceled off to the United 1st lounge (i think) for a shower so worked out nicely!

On a serious note they always seem to be out of action, what are BAA playing at!
#364990 by Neil
01 Aug 2006, 13:45
Really good TR, excellent read,thanks [y]
#365016 by locutus
01 Aug 2006, 15:04
The LIRR sounds better than the subway, where I had to transfer to another train, but couldn't understand the announcements to tell me this, but luckily someone noticed my luggage and told me to get off and change trains. Too much walking was involed as well, which when you haven't got a shower waiting for you at JFK, it's not a good idea! [:?]

I'll try it out in October and let you know! [:D]
#365025 by ChuckC
01 Aug 2006, 15:46
locotus,
The LIRR and the subway both stop at Jamaica, the transfer point for the AirTrain. I prefer the LIRR because it's airconditioned and cleaner.

Chuck-
#365033 by pjh
01 Aug 2006, 16:07
Originally posted by ChuckC
locotus,
The LIRR and the subway both stop at Jamaica, the transfer point for the AirTrain. I prefer the LIRR because it's airconditioned and cleaner.

Chuck-

And hopefully less 'exciting' than a cab ride from Manhattan. I've never been as glad to exit a cab as a I was after that journey.

Thanks for the TR. Always fun to read..

Paul
#365044 by locutus
01 Aug 2006, 16:30
The walk from the subway to the airtrain at Jamaica was quite far I seem to recall, with slow lifts and a lot of people waiting. We also had to wait about 20 mins a few stops before to transfer to the express.

I blame the journey for no spare row 70 PE seats! [:(!]
#365137 by buns
01 Aug 2006, 20:56
Chuck

Thanks for an expertly crafted TR - full of useful tips and pointers for avid followers of V-Flyer who may undertake the journey from Manhattan[y][y]

Given the excellent fare in the JFK Clubhouse, it is no wonder that sleep was the order of the day on board the aircraft.

It was great to meet up with you and Slink in London and may i take this opportunity to offer my hearty thanks for the now treasured baseball caps

buns
#365139 by ChuckC
01 Aug 2006, 20:58
You were the consummate host, as always, Buns. We both thank you and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Chuck-
#365151 by buns
01 Aug 2006, 21:12
Originally posted by ChuckC
You were the consummate host, as always, Buns. We both thank you and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Chuck-

[:I][:I][:I][:I][:I]

buns
#365154 by MarkJ
01 Aug 2006, 21:25
Excellent TR Chuck and an absolute pleasure to meet one of the 'true gentlemen' of V-flyer - good to meet Slink too!!

Hopefully there will be other such opportunites in the near future[y]
#365161 by Mavrick
01 Aug 2006, 21:59
Excellent TR. Chuck, thank you and It was a pleasure to meet you and Slink. [:D] [y]
Virgin Atlantic