Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#244417 by fontyflyer
11 Aug 2006, 19:37
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
After a wonderful two weeks vacation we checked in at 08.30 at DTD - this saves a lot of time and trouble later in the day, the queues were small and it was a much more pleasant experience than checking in at the airport.

We had selected seats 61 A and C and 62 A and C many months previous, we also had these seats on the outward flight. These have to be the best seats in economy with increased leg room and the extra space at the side to allow my two sons to stand up and stretch their legs and also store their hand baggage during the flight (this may have been the last flight they could carry their assortment of MP3 players, cameras etc!)

We boarded (Ruby Tuesday) and pushed back on time and began to taxi out but then their was a loud bang from the rear hold which the captain decided warranted further investigation. We returned to stand whilst this was investigated - no problems found and an hour later we took off.

A pleasant flight which was not full so allowed a my youngest son to stretch out on 63 A and C to sleep for most of the flight![|)]

The pilot (or assistant?)paid a visit down the flight to a lady near by who was not a happy flier [:#] - explaining the route etc.

About an hour out from Gatwick the Captain advised of a security incident and that we may have to wait for one hour before disembarking the aircraft - no details were given! (out of interest I assume the cabin crew would have been made aware of the alert?)

We landed at 09.30 and went straight to stand, I think this even surprised the Captain. The only delay being the waiting for outgoing flights using the airbridge as a link to a coach to clear.

Another excellent flight as always.
#367418 by G-VROY
11 Aug 2006, 19:41
cool trip report, did you ever find out what the big bang was?
#367419 by fontyflyer
11 Aug 2006, 19:42
No - I think on the basis that the both holds were secure and that it did not happen again all was OK!
#367420 by MarkJ
11 Aug 2006, 19:44
Good report Richard - I am sure that there will be someone on the board who might be able to give some background to the 'security' issue you had.

Wonder what he loud bang noise was - probably just a flight case 'settling' hahah! Best for the Capt. to check though!!

And DTD is so useful isnt it?