Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#244611 by pjh
21 Aug 2006, 23:28
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
All good things have to end, so partner, LFO and myself disembarked from the taxi and took up position in the queue for Economy check in. Though there was PE desk, there didnt seem to be a PE line, and so I didnt get the chance to use the only advantage of the Silver FC card (i.e. pretending Im flying a class that Im not).

Check in and security were very efficient and relaxed (possibly because we were the only big aeroplane on the tarmac) and we were sat in the departure lounge within 20 minutes of stepping out of the taxi. Then I did my ever-hopeful-but-oh-so-sad pricking up of ears every time they asked someone to step up to the desk. Yes, I know our surname has two syllables and begins with H and they just said a name that has six and begins with K, but they could always have meant usjust said the wrong name.

Pretty much on time out to Ladybird G-VAST and right down to row 32 HJK. Not too bad, view over the leading edge of the wing, back a little from the galley. Oh look man with clipboard seeking someone out in our row. Me! Me ! Me ! I (almost) cry out. Again, however, cruel fate intervenes and he selects a lady and her two childrenwho it turns out were sitting in Y whilst dad was at the pointy end. At this point the angel at my left shoulder says something like well, thats fair and appropriate [y] whilst the devil on the other side rants dammit if hes too mean to pay even in miles let them stew !! It shouldve been me !. [:(!] At this point I realise Im taking all this a little too personally and start a course of deep breathing.

There are spare seats around the cabin, and the FSM asks that people stay put until were airborne. The couple in front move, so I know Im not going to get reclined into.

Once airborne, drinks, meal and IFE sharpish. Meal was go on, guess beef, chicken or veg cannelloni. The beef was pretty good, a slightly flavoursome curry derivative with saffron rice and nan bread. No posh puds.

Settled down to watch The Wind That Shakes The Barley (after the recommendations hereabouts). Great film with some bravura naturalistic performances. The solemnity and sadness was only lifted by the chap in the row in front managing to break one of the overhead reading lights by twisting it. Having done it once, he then tried to repeat it on one of the other lights.

Now, heres the question. I can be in a deep relaxing sleep in a cramped seat in a noisy mode of transportation before we reach the first tunnel out of Kings Cross. Why can I not get to sleep on an aeroplane ?

Service was, as on the way out in PE, attentive and professional without being overbearing. I could've done with soft drink run, but could equally have got off my behind and asked as others were doing. Save for having to chase the duty free trolley to buy some perfume (past the seat faster than a speeding bullet) I really dont think I could fault the service or the general Economy experience. Yes, Id like more legroom, wider seats, V:port et al but I came off that flight well happy with the experience.

At this end, an on time arrival, bags already on the carousel by the time we got there, out of the airport by 7:30 am and home just after the 9:00 am news. And to cap it all, the two bottles of rum wed had to risk putting in the luggage survived the trip. Toodle pip (hic)! [|)]
#369497 by MarkJ
22 Aug 2006, 09:29
Originally posted by pjh
Then I did my ever-hopeful-but-oh-so-sad pricking up of ears every time they asked someone to step up to the desk. Yes, I know our surname has two syllables and begins with ÒHÓ and they just said a name that has six and begins with ÒKÓ, but they could always have meant usÉjust said the wrong name.

Oh look Ð man with clipboard seeking someone out in our row. Me! Me ! Me ! I (almost) cry out. Again, however, cruel fate intervenes and he selects a lady and her two childrenÉwho it turns out were sitting in Y whilst dad was at the pointy end. At this point the angel at my left shoulder says something like Òwell, that's fair and appropriateÓ [y] whilst the devil on the other side rants Òdammit if he's too mean to pay even in miles let them stew !! It should've been me !Ó. [:(!] At this point I realise I'm taking all this a little too personally and start a course of deep breathing.

Yep -done that!!!

At least you were in PE and its got those little extras!!

Good report Paul sounds like a good end to the trip.
#369500 by pjh
22 Aug 2006, 09:44
Originally posted by MarkJ

Thanks. It was a good end to an excellent holiday. BTW on this leg it was definitely Economy only - I'd blown the PE budget on the way out.

Paul
#369501 by Neil
22 Aug 2006, 09:46
Thanks again Paul - another good, positive Y report, only seems to be postives coming back at the moment, maybe a sign of improvement in the service? Glad you had a good holiday, but very dispointed you didn't treat the family to W on the way back too [;)]

Neil[:)]
#369502 by MarkJ
22 Aug 2006, 09:58
Originally posted by pjh
Originally posted by MarkJ

Thanks. It was a good end to an excellent holiday. BTW on this leg it was definitely Economy only - I'd blown the PE budget on the way out.

Paul

Oh yeah sorry - didnt think you were that tight!![:I]
[:w]
#369516 by Mavrick
22 Aug 2006, 11:04
Good TR, Paul, Thank you. [y]
#369679 by buns
22 Aug 2006, 21:31
Paul

Thanks for another enjoyable TR[y][y]

Do I take it that LFO & partner have not given you a hard time for not booking PE for the return[:w][}:)][:w]
buns
#369731 by pjh
23 Aug 2006, 09:44
Originally posted by buns4vs
Paul

Thanks for another enjoyable TR[y][y]

Do I take it that LFO & partner have not given you a hard time for not booking PE for the return[:w][}:)][:w]
buns

Curiously enough, no. I had expected some grumbling in the ranks but neither of them are keen on the flying experience itself and they were both in 'let's get home' mode.

And Neil and Mark. Sirs, for suggesting I am a tightwad, I demand satisfaction. Your choice of weapons. St. James Park, London, tomorrow at dawn. Hang on, no, can we make it lunchtime ? I can get a cheap day return then and the car park is cheaper after ten...

Paul
#369733 by Neil
23 Aug 2006, 09:54
Originally posted by pjh
And Neil and Mark. Sirs, for suggesting I am a tightwad, I demand satisfaction. Your choice of weapons. St. James Park, London, tomorrow at dawn. Hang on, no, can we make it lunchtime ? I can get a cheap day return then and the car park is cheaper after ten...
Paul

Lol - point proven[;)], I've got friends from your neck of the woods, and they tell me that your area is very 'la de dah' and exclusive, I thought that only rich people could live in Cambridgeshire[;)]
#369934 by pjh
24 Aug 2006, 10:02
Originally posted by Attitude23
Lol - point proven[;)], I've got friends from your neck of the woods, and they tell me that your area is very 'la de dah' and exclusive, I thought that only rich people could live in Cambridgeshire[;)]

Sir

My employer is currently fully engaged in counting his money and has asked that I delay my daily polishing duties in the family silver vault to let you know that he will respond to your communication in due course.

Yours etc.
Virgin Atlantic