Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#244722 by G_NEUS
27 Aug 2006, 20:40
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Decided to branch out from my usual overnight stay in a heathrow hotel, to stay in the Hilton Paddington. This allowed me to walk straight out of the hotel and onto the Heathrow Express. 25 minutes after walking out of the door of the hotel I was entering terminal 3 ready to check in. If you aren't driving into london this is a great way to stay before your flight. It costs less and is just as convenient. Handy tip for getting HEX tickets. Use the machines that are beside the ticket office. Lots of people were using their credit cards over the counter and were prepared to queue instead of using the machines which take less than 1 min.

No problems with check in, including using the box to measure my handluggage size. Looks like you may have to stay within the new strict rules. Fast track immigration took 10mins and I was off to the lounge. After a lovely breakfast and a masculinity challenging facial I settled in to my book in one of the suspended spherical chairs. Ewan MacGreggor (?sp)was on my flight and came and sat down beside me, but he didn't recognise me nor ask for my autograph soI didn't ask for his. I'd also left my lightsabre at home because of the new security measures so I've postponed our duel until we meet again.

The flight delay was announced and we did not board until about 1315. When I got there there was no priority boarding. Eventually left at around 1430hrs because we had to wait for a slot. Cabin crew were very friendly and attentive. One of them even made up a drink for me. I wanted something like an appletizer, and they made a mix of ginger ale and apple juice which was quite nice.

I didn't bring my NR headphones this time and tried out the UC ones. I was surprised by their quality and want to know if anyone has made a comparison between the QC2/3s and these. It was my intention on this trip to pick up a pair of QC3s, but because I will only use them for air travel, and I will mostly travel on virgin I have had second thoughts.

The food was very palatable and I went with all the vegetarian options. Very nice tomato and mozarella starter. Did get the impression though that it was best to eat at the same time as everyone else.

IFBT came around and offered the treatments, but also asked if I had had any in the CH. She then ticked something on her sheet whilst saying 'uh huh' and proceeded to tell me about the random selection process and the busy flight, so I knew I would not be getting any attention on this flight. In my previous flights in UC I have not been asked about CH treatments. Next time I might feign ignorance and ask for all the treatments to be explained because all of the other pax that did that were called for a treatment.[}:)]

It was quite a bumpy ride and I really enjoyed the turbulence whilst lying in the suite. Managed to find a spare pillow to prop up my head so I drifted off to sleep whilst watching a movie.

1 hour prior to landing I asked for a variety of amenities to freshen up and changed out of the sleep suit. I wanted to make sure I was ready to catch my connecting flight and would only have just over an hour to make it.

One of the first off the plane and only a short queue at immigration behind the remaining Air China passengers, few of whom had bothered to complete their landing cards.

All in all, apart from the delay a great trip with crew that were a credit to VA. Shame about the following aspects of the journey.
#370489 by Mavrick
27 Aug 2006, 21:01
Great TR, Dunbarm glad you had a good flight thank you. [y] [:D]
#370490 by pjh
27 Aug 2006, 21:06
Originally posted by dunbarm
Ewan MacGreggor (?sp)was on my flight and came and sat down beside me, but he didn't recognise me nor ask for my autograph soI didn't ask for his.

[^] Quite right too !

Paul
#370492 by VS045
27 Aug 2006, 21:08
Thanks for the light-hearted TR![:D][y]

VS.
#370515 by ChuckC
27 Aug 2006, 23:37
Good report and looking forward to the next chapter.

Thanks.

Chuck-
#370589 by buns
28 Aug 2006, 16:03
Thanks for an interesting read[y][y]

I share your view that new baggage restrictions are likely to be with us for some time to come

buns
Virgin Atlantic