Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#245041 by radar
13 Sep 2006, 05:24
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Well, here is my first trip report. A high standard has been set here, so fingers crossed [:w]

I live in north Essex, so my usual routine is the wonderful One railway service to Liverpool Street, then tube to Paddington, followed by the HEX. Long trip you say - yes, but quicker than a limo, and as I decided to get to check-in close to opening time because of the extra security, a 5.30am start was early enough. In any case, on this trip, I was upgrading to G class. Appears I was lucky, as apparently there was a train derailment further up the line from me [:0]

Anyway, travel to Heathrow was uneventful, and I arrived at the ticket desk around 7.45am, where the very helpful (as always) staff dealt with my upgrade. As usual, I had checked in to PE online [:I], meaning the poor girl on the ticket desk had to unboard me first, then issue a new ticket, all of which took about 15-20 minutes. The number of times I have done this, I should have learnt my lesson by now, but I am a glutton for punishment.

New G-class ticket in hand, I strolled off to the UC check-in and booked in without further ado to seat 6K. Flight only about half full apparently. No, I didn't have lotions and potions in my hand luggage, and yes, the hand luggage fitted neatly in the new size-guide box. Just as well, seeing as I had just splashed out on a new bag for just that reason. That is my second bag in 3 months. My wife is adamant that I'm more of a woman than she is (more bags, coats, shoes etc.). I just like to have the right tools for the job [:I].

Ahem.

LHR was pretty quiet - maybe I should get there earlier more often. I bare-footed my way through security and straight on to the clubhouse. First things first, off to Cowshed to see if they could squeeze me in for a quick hair trim - they could - then plonked myself down to announce my presence to any other V-Flyers that may have been in the CH with my laptop. Things started to go slightly downhill from there. VS - where is this free wi-fi you have been promising? Not only was it not to be found, but even the T-Mobile service was poor, necessitating two calls to their helpdesk. I did try and use the business centre, and also tried borrowing a lead from the concierge, but the powers that be obviously did not want to play ball, which is when I resigned myself to having to use T-Mobile. Oh well - ces't la vie! A bacon roll and latte later, I managed to post my 100th post to V-Flyer - from the CH - cool or what![^]. After a brief trim, it was time to proceed to gate 36 for VS005. Farewell CH - thanks for the hospitality, and until next time....

At gate 36, I joined the queue, as there was no priority boarding. Fortunately, as the flight was light, the queue was mercifully short, but I must have looked suspicious, as I got politely hauled to the side for my second frisking and detailed search of the day. I have to say, the Securicor guys were very polite and professional, and so I had no qualms answering questions, removing laptop batteries, phone batteries etc. A smile and a 'Have a nice trip sir' later and down the airbridge I went.

A quick peek through the airbridge window revealed the identity of my carriage to be 'Sweet Dreamer', G-VSSH, delivered in January 2005. This was to be my first trip on SSH, even though she is a frequent VS005 lady. At the door, I was greeted and directed to my seat. For an 18-month old bird, SSH was sparkling.

Before I had even settled into my seat, a glass of bubbly was on its way to me. Once settled in, I could see G-VROC, 'Mustang Sally' next door. ROC was the last 744 I flew, also to Miami, when the 744s were serving that route.

Very shortly after arriving on board, the IFBT called to see if I would like a treatment, to which the answer was a very definite yes! Does anyone actually NOT have a treatment?!

Because of the light load, we were very soon greeted by the Captain, who announced that all pax were on board, and that we would push back on time. Indeed, at exactly 11.30, SSH was nudged gently away from stand 336, tail right, in preparation for taxi to Runway 27L. Taxi itself was uneventful, but it seemed to me as we approached the runway that ATC were belting metal off the runway at an incredible rate. Two BA 744s and a BA 320(?) departed in the space of less than 4 minutes by my clock. Next up was our own dear G-VWOW, 'Cosmic Girl', immediately before us. I think she must have been the SFO flight. Again, barely had she unstuck from the far end of 27L, when at 11.54am, we in SSH rolled onto the runway and promptly belted off after her, seemingly tethered to her wake vortex. Lifting off into the murk, we dissappeared into the cloud at a mere 200ft, popping up 'on top' about a minute later. Right wing down, we slalomed our way through an imaginary set of gates into the blue yonder, leaving LHR behind. I couldn't see any other aircraft after that.

The FSM made her routine announcements, though no mention was made about a ban on laptops. Maybe I would be able to spring open my MacBook Pro after all...

There was a fair bit of turbulence on our climb out, and I have to say, it never fails to amaze me the number of people who think that, once the staff start moving around, they can do so too, even after an announcement requesting passengers not to. The seatbelt sign stayed firmly lit until we were well over the Atlantic, yet 9 passengers (yes, I did count) decided to ignore not only the first, but two subsequent announcements to stay in their seats, and try and make their way to the toilets. And those were only the ones I could see making their way to the front toilet from my seat (6K) [ii]! Good heavens people - if you were injured.... I hate to point fingers at one side of the pond, but they all seemed to be Americans. No offence intended. (Expecting witty retort from GJ) [:D}.

Sadly, the next event was the ritual passing from IFBT to PAX of the humble - nay naff - scrooge packs [n]. Back to purple socks this time. Shortly afterwards, the IFE was turned on. Rather ammusingly, iMap indicated we were at an altitude of 18M, a speed of 0, with a light headwind [:D]. Unfortunately, despite a re-boot of the system for me, it stayed that way throughout the flight, so I can't report our exact path. However, I'm pretty sure we went directly across the Atlantic towards Miami, rather than towards St. John's and then a southerly trajectory down the Eastern seabord.

When the seatbelt light was finally extinguished, I made my way to the bar before it was comandeered, though as it turned out, I was there on my lonesome, except for the very attentive SCC member, with whom I had a good long chat. As I was going to be driving from MIA, I stuck to tonic water. Another band of turbulence sent me back to my seat shortly before lunch. I chose the Mozzarela and Tomato salad, the Lamb shank, and a Lemon Tart, the latter of which was slightly disappointing. After coffee, I settled in for a snooze of about two and a half hours - quite good for me, no-doubt as a result of the extra-early wake up call.

After a quick mini-marathon round the plane to prepare myself for another slog at the bar, I downed another tonic or two when I was invited to come forward for my massage. Now there isn't a smilie for this, but despite already being 30,000-odd feet closer to heaven, my massage was by far the best I have ever had on board. Double heaven! I hadn't realised I was so tense.

In my new, slightly soporific state, I returned to my seat, and picked the rather amusing Nacho Libre to while away another 90 minutes of flying time, followed by an episode or two of good old Little Britain [y].

Tea (compulsory scone...) followed, and of course soon after we were wending our way down towards MIA. We seemed to get a very direct routing, with a perfect 'tear-drop' approach to the south of MIA, and straight in to Runway 9R. In what can only be described as a textbook landing, we kissed the runway ever-so-gently at 4.04pm local time, and made our way directly to pier E, Gate 5, I think.

After a quick disembarcation, we were greeted on the airbridge by a sniffer dog, and then just outside by a row of TSA staff, pre-vetting us before immigration. They were all, it has to be said, extremely polite, with plety of smiles. [:0]

The biggest surprise was at immigration, which was almost empty! In the past, I have queued anywhere up to an hour and three quarters to get through (admittedly, that was the week they introduced the new VISIT system), with the quickest time being 20 minutes. Not today - straight up to an immigration agent, who again was all smiles and very pleasant (was I dreaming?) and down to baggage reclaim by 4.20pm!

There was, however, a small delay at baggage reclaim, though having said that, it is rare that you get there before your bags, which are often unloaded and waiting on the floor by the time you get there.

I whistled through Customs, again all smiles, and straight to Dollar (courtesy of Airline Network), and by 5.25pm I was headed for I-95 and the rush hour in a convertible Sebring - not bad as I had booked a 2 door economy - best upgrade to date! Which really rounded off a fantastic trip. Slight niggles aside in the CH, probably the best I have had to date.

So to summarise:

Ticket/Check in: 10/10
Security: 10/10!!
Clubhouse: 8/10 (Come on VS, sort that wi-fi out - and get some matches!)
Flight: 10/10 (special commendation to FSM, SCC and IFBT! - in fact, all round!)
US clearance: 10/10!!

Amazing day!

Well, I think I have probably droned on for WAY too long. Please let me know if so, and I will do a more abbreviated TR for my flight back on Sunday [;)]
#373737 by slinky09
13 Sep 2006, 08:41
Great report - enjoy your trip.

No queues at MIA immigration? Astounding!
#373741 by Neil
13 Sep 2006, 08:51
nice TR, thanks, and don't worry about too many bags/clothes/shoes etc, did you not know men are the new women!!

Neil[:)]
#373760 by pjh
13 Sep 2006, 10:25
Originally posted by radar
Well, I think I have probably droned on for WAY too long. Please let me know if so, and I will do a more abbreviated TR for my flight back on Sunday [;)]

Excellent TR, though slightly over edited and brief for my tastes..[:w]

Paul
#373772 by Mavrick
13 Sep 2006, 10:43
Excellent TR, Radar, I'm glad you had a good flight thank you. [y] [:D]
#373855 by radar
13 Sep 2006, 17:50
Originally posted by slinky09

Yeah, kind of spooky. I thought I was dreaming - kept having to pinch myself [:D].
#373872 by G-VROY
13 Sep 2006, 19:24
great TR! and dont hold back! i love to hear all the info![:D]
#373909 by napamatt
13 Sep 2006, 21:17
Great report. How was the haircut?
#373910 by napamatt
13 Sep 2006, 21:18
Clearly doing something wrong on the countdown code. Must go back and re-read the instructions. If somebody spots anything obvious let me know.
#373913 by preiffer
13 Sep 2006, 21:21
Spotted. Fixed. Check your revised sig.
#373917 by buns
13 Sep 2006, 21:28
Radar

Thanks for a well crafted TR which I found very interesting to read[y][y]

Well done on getting the G upgrade, and both a haircut in the Cowshed and a treatment on the flight.

buns
#373924 by napamatt
13 Sep 2006, 21:59
Thanks preiffer, I see my mistake. Though don't understand the new problem, but life's too short.
#373925 by preiffer
13 Sep 2006, 22:04
Fixed the others. 17:55pm and 21:45pm don't exist as times on earth [;)]
#373932 by honey lamb
13 Sep 2006, 22:23
Well, I think I have probably droned on for WAY too long. Please let me know if so, and I will do a more abbreviated TR for my flight back on Sunday

Don't you dare do a short one. This one was just great [y]
#373973 by PVGSLF
14 Sep 2006, 07:32
Excellent TR. I like em long, then I don't feel so bad doing a long one too!
You've really wetted my appetite for my return from PVG in UC in a couple of weeks time. On the way out I wanted to sleep... this time I will be wanting to stay (mostly) awake.
Just booked my CDC from heathrow... gave them the postcode of the pub me and MrsPVG will be dropped directly at when we arrive back [y]
#373974 by radar
14 Sep 2006, 07:55
Originally posted by buns4vs
Radar

Thanks for a well crafted TR which I found very interesting to read[y][y]

Well done on getting the G upgrade, and both a haircut in the Cowshed and a treatment on the flight.

buns

Fortunately, MIA, which is my staple flight, is rarely full, so upgrades are usually a reasonable bet if you fly midweek. Just a very basic trim round the edges for the hair, so I convinced them to squeeze me in [;)]. But the treatment on the flight - oh, I'm quivering just thinking about it [y]! Can't wait for the return flight!
#373975 by radar
14 Sep 2006, 08:01
Originally posted by PVGSLF
Excellent TR. I like em long, then I don't feel so bad doing a long one too!
You've really wetted my appetite for my return from PVG in UC in a couple of weeks time. On the way out I wanted to sleep... this time I will be wanting to stay (mostly) awake.
Just booked my CDC from heathrow... gave them the postcode of the pub me and MrsPVG will be dropped directly at when we arrive back [y]

Thank you, and honey lamb and everyone else for the feedback. I shall take a new notebook and a sharp pencil (hmm, is that allowed [:p]?) to note the minutiae of the return trip on Sunday. However, I feel it only fair to warn you that it may well be shorter, due to the fact I hope to be sleeping for most of the return. And no, I can't promise to post details of my dreams, they may break the forum rules (with any luck [:D].
#374197 by DragonLady
15 Sep 2006, 18:49
Originally posted by radar
Originally posted by slinky09

Yeah, kind of spooky. I thought I was dreaming - kept having to pinch myself [:D].

Same for me a few weeks back -through immigration,car collected and checking into hotel on South Beach an hour after landing[:D]Unheard of!.Thought I was hallucinating(blamed it on the melatonin).Longest wait at MIA immigration has been 3+ hours!.
Nice TR
#380504 by jwhite9185
30 Oct 2006, 19:00
Hmm im hoping that i wont be waiting for 3 hours next week!
#380906 by g-vred
02 Nov 2006, 23:12
i waited for an hour and three quarters couple of weeks back. wasnt pretty
Virgin Atlantic