Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#245070 by 747340
13 Sep 2006, 23:45
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Check was really busy as I failed to do OLCI as it wasnt working, no seat map available to use. Total time for check in was 1 hour[}:)]

VS knew they had a problem as they kept on calling passengers to the front of the queue for the flights that were boarding, never mind not a problem to me[^]

Arrived at the check in desk with my Economy ticket and the supervisor was called over by the check in lady, they talked about something but made sure i was not listening.

The check in lady then processed what she called an Operational Upgrade to Upper Class, she preceded to tell me how lucky I was and that I could use the lounge and its facilities.I knew I was very lucky

Totally shocked went to the lounge which was fairly busy used the facilities and waited for my flight.
VS45 was about 1 hour late departing.

Once on board I was introduced to the CSD, I think, the one in the black blouse.

The food was great the service was great and the whole experience was superb[oo]
The flight made up 1/2 an hour on route and we arrived in JFK
The return was just as good but only in PE as an upgrade.

Virgin Atlantic were just fab[oo]

A lesson to learn!!

Outbound and Inbound on Mustang Sally and V:Port is just fab[y]

Dont demand a thing, dont ask for an upgrade, dont dress extra smart, just be your self and one day it will happen!![:X][:X][:X][:X]
[:X]
#373993 by jamie
14 Sep 2006, 11:00
Wow, that's great. Surprised you got access to the CH though. Last time i got op-up'd a year or so ago i couldn't use the lounge.
#373999 by easygoingeezer
14 Sep 2006, 11:41
Wow, I love it when people get nice suprises, would love to know what criterea they used to pick you.

Can I have a long list of what you were wearing, your hairstyle, carry on bag etc et c etc[}:)]
#374002 by Neil
14 Sep 2006, 11:48
Thanks for the TR, a few op-ups recently reported in TR's, gives hopes to everybody I guess.

Neil
#374010 by pjh
14 Sep 2006, 12:26
A right result [y].

Did you get op-up'ed to PE on the way back as well or had you pre-booked that ?

Paul
#374021 by betsy06
14 Sep 2006, 12:59
How completely cool! So happy for your pleasant surprise from Virgin! Had something similar happen on BA when travelling with my mom and daughter...upgraded 'cause they overbooked! Sometimes life is more than fair.

betsy06
#374114 by 747340
15 Sep 2006, 08:33
Yep we got upgraded to PE on the way back.

What criteria do they use i dont know, I am a frequent flyer with Virgin but only Red I use Virgin about 3 times a year.

I did question a couple of times about the use of the lounge and they just said yes you can use it, totally amazing.
#374117 by Neil
15 Sep 2006, 08:53
Originally posted by 747340
Yep we got upgraded to PE on the way back.

What criteria do they use i dont know, I am a frequent flyer with Virgin but only Red I use Virgin about 3 times a year.

I did question a couple of times about the use of the lounge and they just said yes you can use it, totally amazing.

You have been one lucky pax, upgraded to both legs of your journey and allowed clubhouse access and all when you are only a Red FF member booked in Y. What class was your Y ticket purchased in?

Would love some more details about your UC flight & CH experience as a first time pax, that will be me next year and ove to hear all the little details.

Neil[:)]
#374225 by 747340
15 Sep 2006, 21:40
How do you mean what class was my ticket purchased in.

The whole experience is magical, the lounge makes you feel really, really special. In the lounge you have a choice of food from a Cold Buffet bar to something cooked in the kitchen and the service is really quick. There is a small roof garden, at the moment they have a Jaguar car up there taking up a lot of room but obviously a promotion.

There are a few sections in the clubhouse to chill out; there is a massive TV screen broadcasting about 7 channels at once and a nice lounge area. You even have an area that is like a library that allows you to surf the net and read newspapers etc with a huge really old oak table to read at.

There is an area to 'Scrub Up' in where you can have a massage steam room etc I think I only had a quick look, its called the Cowshed.

The lounge is really funky and retro with lots of wood being used with modern materials, really funky round seat hanging from the ceiling etc

You can play pool if you like but for some reason they take your boarding card when they hand over the cues, just in case you steal them, right next to the pool table is a great sweet stall full of loads of candy to munch on.

The Club House is so great you don't want to leave; I spent approx 2 hours in the lounge.

Not forgetting I thought it was no kids but there is a really small child's area but it is behind glass and the same for the smoking area.

From the moment you board the plane it feels great in Upper and V:Port which I know is all the way through the aircraft is just magic, stop , start fast forward what ever you want when you want.

Mood lighting in the lovely purple, meals on China plates really well presented, sandwich fingers and cups of tea in proper cups.

I could go on forever
Its like no other experience once you have done it you're bitten

On the return i have to say PE is bloody good, no bed but good seat if you ever fly PE go upstairs seats from 73 through to 80 I think, it also feels really special in PE upstairs.

The only strange thing is at the front of PE upstairs is the other part of UC I would have thought you would have all of PE together and all of UC together I don't think PE down stairs looks or feels that special

The product is really good in both cabins but i have to say some of the UC and PE is looking a bit worn for new equipment.
#374305 by Neil
16 Sep 2006, 14:04
I meant what fare class was it? V,B,L,N etc? Was yours a flexible ticket or just a lowest priced one?
#374309 by 747340
16 Sep 2006, 14:37
Low price not flexable
#375237 by MrsG
22 Sep 2006, 22:22
Originally posted by jamie
Wow, that's great. Surprised you got access to the CH though. Last time i got op-up'd a year or so ago i couldn't use the lounge.

This is an interesting one. Before MrG acquired his Au card in 2003 we were lucky enough to be upgraded to UC and had use of the clubhouse.[:D]

More recently, back at the beginning of August we were upgraded by BA from WT+ to CW. The check-in agent told us that we could use the BA lounge. When we arrived we were told that because we had been upgraded we weren't eligible.

Guess each airline has their own rules?
Virgin Atlantic