Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#245217 by Darren Wheeler
21 Sep 2006, 20:55
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
......following on from the outbound flight.

The tale starts in Las Vegas, checking in for the internal flight to LAX on United. When asked if I wanted to have my luggage check through to my final destination I declined as I didn't want them getting lost between terminals. The check-in agent looked really hurt when I declined her offer. Call me old-fashioned but I would rather risk the short walk between terminals 1 and 2 than never see my bags again - once bitten and all that....

The flight was very non-eventful and I was soon walking the (very short) walk.

It's nice to see that the check-in area of LAX for Virgin is still the organised chaos I remember 3 years ago. A line going in front of all the check-in desk where getting to the UC desk is a trial in patience, agility and having a thick skin. This, dear reader, is where the real fun started.

After the bouncer directed me between the two purple signs, I joint the 'queue'. I say 'queue' as there were two gentlemen stood on side by side. When the next agent became free they both stepped forward and indignantly accused the other of pushing in. They were most passionate that the other was in the wrong that I could feel it heading to fisty-cuffs, Marquis of Queensbury and all that. Never one to miss a bit of free public entertainment, I gave them my full attention and oh how they made me chuckle. The check-in had only been open for a few minutes, they were both travelling UC and unless they both wanted exactly the same seat, what was the point [V]. The other party in the queue were somewhat embarrassed at this spectacle and while muting a chuckle, apologised profusely on behalf of their countryman. Both were eventually checked-in and between glares and the rolled eyes of the agent, they went off having provided a nice little show. I did wonder if I was going to get round 2 in the lounge...[B)]

My check-in was much more relaxed and soon 2K was allocated to me and I was off through security. In total opposite to the outbound flight, hand luggage was the customary free-for-all with everything from small packs to large cases being passed off, but more on that later....

Finding the lounge as fairly simple seeing as T2 is a little on the small side but not helped by the signs. As you may know, in LAX you use the Air New Zealand lounge up in the gallery. if you didn't know that you were in for a trying time as there are signs to the 'Virgin Lounge' but once at the top of the stairs, no more signs, leaving the uninitiated a bit lost.[?]

If you haven't used the lounge before it's basically and open-plan room with small armchair seats, a couple of high work desk rows and a small chilled table with food. Drinks are on the side with a self-service policy. The windows overlook the apron between T1 and T2. The food is a simple selection of cold meats, salad and fresh fruit so you can make a sandwich etc. Drinks are both alcoholic and non-alcoholic with tea/coffee, fruit juices, wine/champagne and spirits. The cups are a depressing small size just when you really crave a decent sized mug (come on airlines, surely you have some bigger ones somewhere?!?!)

There are broadband computer connections available with cables in exchange for boarding cards. You can connect wirelessly but only by pirating off the Air Canada network next door and the signal was poor in my location. The 2 gents from earlier arrived separately and had either calmed down or decided there were too many witnesses about to continue, much to my disappointment. [}:)] For those inclined, there are showers and the water was quite hot with good pressure.

When the flight was called, the Virgin rep lead us through the terminal to gate 27 (still no change there) and to the door.

Once settled in 2K I was politely asked if I would mind swapping seats so a couple could sit together as I had no problem and neither did the cabin crew I moved to 3K. We were away pretty prompt but not before I did my Superman impression and donned the Ninja suit.

The dinner was a little disappointing with a duck salad that was rather gristly and poached salmon. the ice cream, crunchie pieces and chocolate sauce was excellent though and just what I needed to finish X-Men Last Stand with. I did try to sleep, but for some reason just couldn't get comfy this time. I think the mattress bit needs to be a bit thicker and either a larger or 2 pillows. I managed about 3 hours in all and found the Ninja suits still too warm leaving me rather sweaty [:$]

Breakfast was as good as usual with bacon roll, cereal etc. and right on cue the turbulence started up resulting in most of my tea (titchy cup again) ending up in the saucer, inviting childhood images of my granny slurping it out of the saucer. [:?]

Landing was early but resulted in a wait for the gate to become free. Passport and baggage were both cleared fairly quickly before heading off to the little island of paradise in a world of chaos, Revivals Lounge. Oh what bliss. A very long, hot shower was enjoyed. I can certainly vouch for the new plumbing. On the massage setting the water pressure is nearly painful and the normal setting certainly blast the grime off you, with the Cowshed products helping. Shirt and trousers all pressed I emerged glowing. One pot of tea later (small cup again[:(!])I was ready for the real world. No food as the breakfast was sitting a little heavy thanks to the turbulence. Off to pick up the car and home.

Another excellent flight and another reason to recommend UC to friends etc.

Hope I haven't bored you all to sleep with my ramblings [:D]
#375068 by napamatt
21 Sep 2006, 21:23
Very glad the showers are fixed!
#375072 by jamie
21 Sep 2006, 21:36
Seems like all those problems with the showers are long gone. no more cold ones!
#375074 by buns
21 Sep 2006, 21:57
Darren

Thanks for the TR and the mini review of the new facility at LAX[y][y].

Never one to miss a bit of free public entertainment, I gave them my full attention and oh how they made me chuckle.

Now I know why the BBC keep on making 'Airport' - people watching is fasinating[:I][:I] Pity they have not got something like that on film so far[}:)][}:)]

Thanks once again

buns
#375112 by Mavrick
22 Sep 2006, 06:24
Excellent TR, again Darren, thank you. [y]
#375121 by Neil
22 Sep 2006, 09:20
Thanks for another great TR Darren[y], people watching has got to my fav kind of entertainment[:w]
#375248 by nibbs
22 Sep 2006, 23:24
Great TR Darren - I was only wondering earlier today what the lounge was like at LAX!

Cheers,

Neil
Virgin Atlantic