Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#245408 by mcuth
02 Oct 2006, 13:22
A traffic-free, excellent early morning drive down from Swindon (for reference, I can thoroughly recommend Corvus Travel for Swindon transfers!) and I'd arrived at LHR at 0610hrs [:0]. Thinking it was perhaps a little too early to check-in and it being the start of a lovely day, I hung around outside for a little while, smoking.

At around 0630hrs, I decided to wander inside and check-in - I'd already used OLCI to secure seat 37A, but as always, went to the UC check-in desk to check my bags. UC check-in was completely deserted save for the check-in agent - no security check or anything. The check-in agent was superb & very quick. Didn't ask me any of the usual security questions, just asked how many bags I was checking in (2, both weighing ~15kg). No prompt required for the FastTrack sticker on the BP, and I was out of there in less than 5 minutes [y]

Used FastTrack security, and in this instance it definitely was faster than the normal line. Typical security paranoia that we've recently been subjected to - shoe carnival, etc.. etc.. etc.. Through there and remembered to look for the Iris registration office, though I knew it wouldn't be open just yet. Couldn't find it and thought 'I'll come back to that later'. It must've only been 0640hrs by now, so I was still too early to go up to the Clubhouse so I had a wander round some of the shops in the departures lounge. Then I went off to the smoking area to the side of O'Neills - wistfully remembering the days when I'd have had breakfast and a few beers in there before the flight.

At around 0655hrs, I decided to head on up to the CH, where I found the shutter down and nobody around. Boy, did that feel strange, being the first person waiting for the CH to open! [:I] Bang on time, the shutter was pulled up and my BP/Au card checked so I could go in.

This was the first time I'd been in the CH since phase 2 opened - the place is amazing and very spacious. It's hard to believe there was ever a dividing wall between phase 1 and the development of phase 2. Unfortunately, upstairs was closed off before I got a chance to go up there - it later transpired that it was for some X-Factor nobodies that were off to Sharon Osbourne's 'boot camp' [ii][ii] Despite this, I had a good wander round before settling myself in the smoking area (which no-one told me had changed to just the lower end of that area!).

I settled in for a few glasses of champagne and a full English breakfast with scrambled eggs. I seemed to be the only person in the smoking area to have anticipated the ban on lighters at security (and as a result of finding out at LGW a couple of weeks earlier that it's impossible to buy matches airside) with a couple of books of safety matches - one from the Stratosphere, and one from the LAS First Class Lounge [:D] So I made a lot of new friends while sat in the CH [:D]

Soon enough it was batting on towards 0800hrs and time for my Rhinestone Cowboy treatment - before I made my way into the treatment area, I thought I'd try my luck at using miles to upgrade my 'don't touch this with a bargepole' N-class ticket. I enquired at the concierge desk if this was possible - I asked if there were any moves to be done, and if so, I'd be willing to offer miles to move up a cabin or two. Yes, there were moves to be done, but they wouldn't know for a couple of hours yet. I actually think they got the wrong end of the stick and thought I was enquiring about op-ups.

Anyway, I went for my Rhinestone Cowboy, which was absolutely fantastic - though it's good to tell that I hadn't had enough to drink yet, because I stayed awake all the way through [:0] After my treatment, I wandered into the library to make an obligatory hello to the CH from the PCs. Then wandered back to the smoking area to carry on drinking as instructed by Paul (I didn't want to, honest [;)]). I decided that champagne was just getting a little tedious, so moved on to a Mojito - very refreshing & minty - absolutely lovely. Followed that up with another full English (this time with fried eggs) and a couple of berry cocktails (can't remember the exact name [:I]) before going back to champagne for my last couple of slurps.

Boarding was called at around 1015hrs, and I went back to the concierge desk to check if there was any news on the upgrade front - again I think they got the wrong end of the stick, because they just informed me that I hadn't been moved and I could ask again at the gate. I collected my bag from the cloakroom and trundled off up to gate 32 - seeing that reporter, Steve, while I was on the route march. Didn't get chance to say hello as he looked busy and I figured I should get to the gate anyway. The gate was a complete nightmare - no separate priority boarding queue due to the extra security measures and those measures were taking an age to complete.

Eventually I got through to the search area and was patted down & had my bag searched again. I was asked if I was carrying any lighters or matches and answered in the affirmative that I had safety matches - these were promptly confiscated [:0]! Since when was that in effect I asked - since liquids were banned was the answer. Well, that's news to me, and was most frustrating [?] Anyway, I got to the BP area and asked if there was any possibility of using miles to upgrade at this point - 'Should've asked at check-in' was the brusque reply. Hmmmm, told her that I'd already asked in the CH and was told to ask at the gate, but that cut no ice. After that & the 'security' debacle, I dejectedly made my way down the ramp and boarded G-VWOW (Cosmic Girl).

I got into my seat and noticed that whilst the legroom itself wasn't absolutely terrible, my problem was that the seat in front rubbed on the top of my shins when I tried to stretch my legs underneath it - this was to be a constant annoyance through the flight, as I just couldn't get my legs completely comfortable. Still, at least I knew that I could safely recline all the way back for the whole flight without anyone being behind me!

Not long after sitting down, I drifted off to sleep while the rest of the pax were boarding, waking up to find that the other 2 seats in my row were occupied and we had taxied out to the runway threshold. I think it was around 1215hrs, not sure why we were delayed that long. We had a nice smooth take-off & climb out, and were soon at cruising altitude. V:Port was switched on, and after enduring the welcome message (which quite frankly is starting to annoy the hell out of me), the system was ready. I selected a couple of films (DaVinci Code & another one - can't remember now) and some comedy TV (Peep Show, Little Britain), adding them all to my favourites to watch later.

After the drinks service (Vodka & Tonic - only 1 serving, no refill offered) I stuck my iPod on and started playing Trivia, whupping a few folks around and narrowly missing getting on the high scores list ([:#]). Then it was onto Tetris - for some reason, after all these years I still find the game too addictive and I'm afraid to say that my TV choices were rapidly falling by the wayside. At this point I was semi-saved by the lunch service starting - choices were: Chicken/Pasta/Brocolli, Braised Beef/Mash/Veg, Mushroom Risoto. I had the beef, and it was fairly good - a glass of red wine to accompany (only 1 serving, no refill offered) and followed up with a tea/coffee round as usual (to which a refill was offered, go figure - offer a refill on the non-alcoholic stuff [ii]).

After lunch was cleared, it was back to more Tetris, then I watched a little of Peep Show. At some point, I ordered some duty free smokes (still on the special offer I mentioned in my LAS report), and later had a good 3 hours sleep, which was nice - except that when I woke up, my legs & lower back were aching all over [:(] Back to Tetris - although it wasn't long before afternoon tea was served. I think I had some sort of chicken panini and it was nice, but your guess is really as good as mine at this stage - the passage of time really affecting my recollection. Tea/coffee service as usual, with refill.

By now it was about 1140hrs (local - PDT) and we were about 2hrs out of SFO, so we were actually going to be slightly early. This was a good sign, as my coach to Napa was scheduled to depart at 1400hrs PDT and I was clinging to a very faint hope that I'd clear immigration & customs in time for that (the next coach doesn't depart until 1630hrs). I watched iMap the rest of the way down - watching as we flew directly over Napa (my final destination). Thanks to my Tetris & Trivia addictions, I never did get to see the rest of my programmed viewing [:I]!

The descent into SFO was very smooth, and with no fog, the views of the city were fantastic. We landed at 1340hrs PDT, so we were indeed 10 minutes early, and were on stand a few minutes later. I noticed that both the BA & KLM flights had arrived too and was expecting that immigration would be a nightmare with us adding to 2 other newly arrived loads from 747s!

Disembarkation was very quick, and we soon on the march up to immigration. The immigration area was the quietest I've ever seen it - even quieter than arriving on Xmas Eve a couple of years ago - was through that in just a few moments, only having a couple of questions thrown at me. Onto baggage reclaim, where bags were just starting to appear and with 5 minutes to go before the coach left, I thought I had half a chance of actually making it - at least, that was until priority baggage handling completely & utterly failed me [}:)][}:)] You could clearly see UC & PE bags coming out, then the EC bags started.....until mine were 2 of the very last ones off the flight, arriving on the belt some 45mins after the bags started appearing (I've since written to FC about this - awaiting their reply) [}:)]

I collected my bags and headed over to Customs - after a couple of questions by the initial agent, I was selected to 'have a chat' with one of his colleagues at the desk. No problem - I had the best part of 2hrs to kill (it was now around 1440hrs and the coach had long gone). I answered the agent's questions and he wanted to examine my carry-on and only one of my cases - quite why he didn't want to examine the other one I don't know. Of course, all was clear, and I was heading outside within minutes. Thanks to UK security confiscating my matches, I had nothing to light a cigarette with, so I joined the hoardes outside, scrounging a light from a fellow addict and keeping cigarettes going until the next coach to Napa came at 1630hrs *sigh*

In summary this flight was wholly average - check-in & the CH being the best bits of the whole experience - and I have to say that there'd been nothing in the service levels to assuage my recent feelings of disillusionment with being FC Au.

Cheers

Michael
#376603 by mysteryflyer
02 Oct 2006, 14:53
Great Tr. I have the same shin problem, plus my knees rub the back of the Y seat in front. Of course also in Y I can't get my laptop out because I cant see the screen. The world of Y has to change I think. Your Tr is so very typical of the need for something better value at the same price point.
#376605 by mitchja
02 Oct 2006, 14:57
Thanks for the TR Michael [y]

I have to say that there'd been nothing in the service levels to assuage my recent feelings of disillusionment with being FC Au.

Exactly how I felt after stepping off my 4 Y flights to/from SYD a few months back. Your Au status is left behind at the airport when your not flying in J.

You could clearly see UC & PE bags coming out, then the EC bags started.....until mine were 2 of the very last ones off the flight, arriving on the belt some 45mins after the bags started appearing (I've since written to FC about this - awaiting their reply)

Priority baggage (or lack of it) really is getting beyond a joke now with VS. After I complained, customer relations have added notes to all be VS bookings to make sure my bags are loaded into the J bins in the future.

Even with J tags on your bags - baggage priority doesn't seem to work at all when your not flying in J.

Regards
#376610 by pjh
02 Oct 2006, 15:21
Michael

Thanks for the TR. Interesting combination on the Y class / Au front.

It strikes me as a bit daft that VS can't get the service right for their real frequent flyers (and I'm not in that group, BTW). OK, I guess you stand a better than average chance of an operational upgrade but that's not guaranteed whereas something significant like priority baggage and mood music like being addressed by name by the CC could be delivered for you on every flight.

Paul
#376612 by mike-smashing
02 Oct 2006, 15:25
Originally posted by mitchja
Priority baggage (or lack of it) really is getting beyond a joke now with VS. After I complained, customer relations have added notes to all be VS bookings to make sure my bags are loaded into the J bins in the future.

Even with J tags on your bags - baggage priority doesn't seem to work at all when your not flying in J.

Yes, most definitely still a problem with priority baggage, from my experience coming back from SFO yesterday, in fact SFO seems to have been the worst origin station for mis-loaded/mis-categorised bags of late.

This took the polish off an otherwise good experience.

Cheers,
Mike
#376728 by G-VROY
03 Oct 2006, 12:22
Great TR, shame about the shin problem
#376923 by mcuth
04 Oct 2006, 16:12
Thanks for your kind comments folks [y]

Originally posted by mysteryflyer
I have the same shin problem, plus my knees rub the back of the Y seat in front.

Oh yeah, I have the knee problem too - the woman in front of me on this leg just didn't have a chance in hell of reclining, my knees were so jammed in. Mind, she had enough problems trying to make sure that her pillow didn't slip back to my side [ii]

Originally posted by mysteryflyer
The world of Y has to change I think. Your Tr is so very typical of the need for something better value at the same price point

Very eloquently put [y][y]

Your Au status is left behind at the airport when your not flying in J.

Actually, I thought I'd dropped it when I walked into the CH [:D]

I'm not sure I'd say 'doesn't work at all when not flying in J' exactly, but it's very hit'n'miss. Out of my 3 recent Y sectors, priority baggage did work once - but I wouldn't call 33.33% a 'success' rate [n]

Originally posted by pjh
whereas something significant like priority baggage and mood music like being addressed by name by the CC could be delivered for you on every flight.

Indeed - not just significant, but very very simple to get right too.

Originally posted by mike-smashing
Yes, most definitely still a problem with priority baggage, from my experience coming back from SFO yesterday, in fact SFO seems to have been the worst origin station for mis-loaded/mis-categorised bags of late.

Strange thing is Mike, it worked perfectly on arrival into LHR - not just the loading of the bins at SFO (which IME they seem to get right most of the time), but the LHR handlers actioned it properly too (which, albeit welcome, is a rarity - again, IME) [:0]

Cheers

Michael
#377956 by mcuth
14 Oct 2006, 02:01
Originally posted by mcuth
Onto baggage reclaim, where bags were just starting to appear and with 5 minutes to go before the coach left, I thought I had half a chance of actually making it - at least, that was until priority baggage handling completely & utterly failed me [}:)][}:)] You could clearly see UC & PE bags coming out, then the EC bags started.....until mine were 2 of the very last ones off the flight, arriving on the belt some 45mins after the bags started appearing (I've since written to FC about this - awaiting their reply) [}:)]

Have now received my reply from FC and received 10k miles in compensation for this [y] To quote relevant paragraphs from the reply received:

Firstly, any Flying Club Gold card holders travelling in Premium Economy or Economy should have their baggage upgraded to Upper Class at check in and an Upper Class tag should be placed on their bag(s)

We aim to offload the Upper Class baggage as quickly and as effectively as possible and have it delivered to the Baggage Reclaim area with the minimum of delay. We appreciate the importance of receiving your baggage swiftly after the flight. Your comments have been noted and I truly apologise that on two separate occasions you have encountered delays in this regard. [NB: mentioned about delays to baggage arriving at LAS on my last trip too] I seek to assure you that Upper Class baggage is always given priority over our Economy and Premium Economy baggage. Your comments have been forwarded to our Station Managers for their information and internal review.

Cheers

Michael
#380039 by mcuth
26 Oct 2006, 14:00
As a final follow-up, just received a letter from 'Baggage Claims', further addressing my delayed bags - here's an extract, left out the apologies, etc, but thought folks might be interested in this paragraph:

Everyday a report of baggage timings is compiled by each station for review by the Station Manager. The targets (sic) for the delivery of the first Upper Class bag is 15 minutes. The delivery of the first Premium Economy bag should be immediately thereafter followed finally by Economy bags. It is our aim to have the last of all baggage delivered to the reclaim area within 35 minutes.

It's a nice touch to have the extra follow-up letter, but apart from these targets and extra apologies, I'm not sure it actually adds anything - after all, my issue wasn't that bags (in general) were late arriving to the belt, it was simply that my bags were delivered waaay later than the UC set. That said though, at SFO I did have to wait longer than the 35 minutes target (and I think it was around that at LAS previously too....).

Cheers

Michael
#380051 by DMetters-Bone
26 Oct 2006, 15:03
GREAT TR! [^] Thanx!

Shame about the bags though, it can be a disaster at times! [V]

Dominic MB
Virgin Atlantic