Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#245490 by droflet
06 Oct 2006, 15:06
The long awaited holiday has now arrived and flying VS for the first time! Packed luggage, family and parents into the car to get to Manchester early. Did OLCI (easy!) day before but still wanted to make sure we werent hanging around in queues through security. Meet & Greet were spot on 06:30, straight into T2 and welcomed with and how will be flying today sir? Confirmed Y and directed to Bag Drop, all very efficient. Completed the check-in process with our pre-selected seats confirmed, 58 A & B, 59 A,B & C. Through security smoothly without any delays, glad we got there early!

The terminal is, well, the terminal. I had toyed with the notion of booking the Escape lounge, however some very sage advice on this site dissuaded me and to be fair, we found loads of empty seats in a relatively quiet area adjacent to gate 208, which with more luck than judgement, was our gate. English Rose was on stand, loading in process

Flight was called, UC, PE and Au card holders first no point in moving yet! Our rows were called for boarding and after standing in the queue for a couple of minutes it dawned on me that the people in front were not those that were called, they were just milling around awaiting their call in anticipation of the charge of the light brigade! Why do people do that? The flight is not going without them; they have their assigned seats and, with the restrictions on hand luggage, there is not any shortage of locker space!!

Settled into 59C with Mrs Droflet in 59B and junior Droflet in 59A. Droflet seniors were suitably ensconced in 58 A & B. First impressions: seat pitch was adequate, not too dissimilar to Gold seats on a much travelled charter carrier; cabin seemed huge, light and airy; seat covers were definitely a little tired; CC were top notch.

Pushed back bang on time @ 10:25 and headed out to one of the westerly runways, take off at 10:48. Couldnt help being impressed with the sensation of power as we started rolling down the runway!

Cold beer in my hand by 11:20.. now the office can go shoot, Im on holiday!

Meal service came and went; beef stew and the scrummy GU choc puds which, IMO, by airline standards were very good: more juice and water runs and the ubiquitous afternoon tea.

Never having experienced VS before I cannot comment on the relative quality of the IFE, however it kept me and the family entertained for the duration of the flight which can be no mean feat.

Very smooth flight, very little by the way of turbulence and not one episode of seat belts on

Wheels down 10 minutes early and straight to stand. Immigration: efficient and, surprisingly, friendly.. do you think they are realising that the majority of people flying into MCO/SFB are the B&S brigade?

Luggage reclaimed with minimum of fuss, straight through customs (5 of you sir? No problem just head right out). Dollar car rental desk was a little light on staff, however a short wait saw Joey suddenly appear and sort out my crew bus (Well done Airline Network!!) Hit the road and here we go!
#377203 by Neil
06 Oct 2006, 16:06
Thanks for the TR Drofleet - glad you enjoyed your first VS flight, hopefully many more to follow!!

they were just milling around awaiting their call in anticipation of the 'charge of the light brigade'! Why do people do that? The flight is not going without them; they have their assigned seats

I do agree, it is most annoying, I think its a British thing, fear of missing out on something, sure they think there is a cheque for £1million for 1st on the plane[:D]

Neil[:)]
#377218 by willd
06 Oct 2006, 17:48
Glad to see im not the only one who enjoy the GU pots! Have found them in Sainsburys now!!! [:D]
#377224 by Decker
06 Oct 2006, 18:16
Nice to hear that for a Virgin virgin the experience was a good one! Thanks for the chance to see this through fresh eyes!
#377228 by Treelo
06 Oct 2006, 19:11
Glad the droflets enjoyed their inaugural VS flight. I know there have been some rather scathing comments here concerning the MAN-MCO package (yes, from me too [:)]) but it is nice to see that the icing on the cake has not been totally dissipated for Virgin virgins.

Hope this is the first of many, droflet [;)]
#377230 by Kirstielou
06 Oct 2006, 19:28
OMG! How I hate that EVERYONE wants to board that plane at the 1st call. Do these people not know they are going to be sat in those seats for the next 9 hours!
#377241 by karnsculpture
06 Oct 2006, 20:16
Thanks for the TR, I always like to read the Y ones as that is the class I fly in at the moment, and its is the class that comes in for the most criticism online. I think that is unfair. I've only had two VS trips and both were great, seat pitch and service what I expected and better than on other airlines I had experienced (BA, AA, United, BMI). If I am still as kind after having experienced PE or UC I don't know. I'll have enough miles to find out after next year's trip to Tokyo [:)]

TTFN

Paul
#377260 by AndyK
06 Oct 2006, 21:44
Nice TR, glad you enjoyed it :)
#377262 by Kraken
06 Oct 2006, 21:56
Good TR & good to see that a 'Virgin virgin' thought the service in Y was up to scratch.

With regard to the people milling around the boarding gate in readiness for their row to be called - maybe the British public are getting too used to the low cost carriers where it IS a scrum to get on the plane as soon as possible to secure seats together.
#377277 by pjh
07 Oct 2006, 01:02
Originally posted by Kraken

With regard to the people milling around the boarding gate in readiness for their row to be called - maybe the British public are getting too used to the low cost carriers where it IS a scrum to get on the plane as soon as possible to secure seats together.

I don't think it's a peculiarly British thing - the worst behaviour I experienced in this respect was an Air France trip CDG - LAX and return 4 years ago.

As to the LCC, my partner flew to Dublin with Ryanair recently and said they were very strict about enforcing their boarding policy (i.e. 'The earlier you check in, the earlier you will be allowed to board the aircraft.')

Paul
Virgin Atlantic