Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#245880 by DMetters-Bone
26 Oct 2006, 11:35
After having 9 wonderful days in NYC, it was time to head to JFK for our return journey, being 6ft 4in tall I was looking forward to being able to get some shut eye on the flight.

We booked a car from our hotel, which arrived on time (early actually) and we set off to JFK with our masses of luggage! Yes we shopped until we dropped! [^][^]We arrived in plenty of time, and found the UC check-in fine, there was one person ahead of us, we waited no longer than a minute, and they called us across to the Y check-in, which was fine, however the Y check in was heaving and we struggled to get to the check-in guy, he weighted our bags, and he told us that we have to take our bags over by security to be loaded on the plane! That would of been OK but we now had about 4 people behind us waiting to check in with their trolleys, and bags!!! All rather confusing and a bit dis-organised, I do not think this is VS fault, more just JFK airport! They check-in agent promptly wrote our lounge passes, and we headed to the lounge.

The JFK CH is on a mezzanine level, and open to the airport, so it isn't a quiet haven like the other CH, also Brazil were playing in the world cup (can't remember who???) and Emirates had sponsored a TV just outside the CH so there were about 60 people watching screaming, so not the nice quiet place I was expecting. The staff however were as friendly as ever, they were prompt in getting our drinks order, I went for a shower and freshen up, and came back to have a few drinks. I asked the girl if I could have a cosmopolitan, she didn't know what went in it, so I told her, and they didn't have any cosmo glasses! Not a problem it still tasted great! I asked the lady at the front desk for some revivals passes, and she wrote me 2 out.

Before long we were called for the flight, we went through security picked up our duty free, and headed to the gate. There was a priority line for UC and PE passengers, most people had already boarded the flight, and we were on in no time. We were greeted by a very friendly FA, who directed us to our UCS we were in 16D + 16G, we settled in to the lovely big seat, and was offered some champagne, we were given our sleep suits, and the awful snooze packs! (I don't need to go on how awful these are!) We pushed off the stand, the captain came on the PA to advise that we were 12th in the line of aircrafts to take off. I went and quickly changed in to my sleep suit, (I did ask, and they said it was OK!) it didn't really take that long before we were up in the air, and getting ready for dinner. The FA came around taking our order, I am REALLY sorry but can not remember what I had for dinner, but it was very nice! [:I] I asked the FA if I could have a drink to be told that I could have a drink with my dinner, I repeated my request and said that I would like a drink before my dinner please, she said that they weren't doing a drinks service before dinner, I thought this was awful to be told that I couldn't have a drink! I promptly went to the bar, where the very nice FA poured me a G+T! Dinner came promptly, and I ordered my breakfast for the morning, a bacon roll and a strong cup of black coffee! The IFBT came around taking passengers requests for treatments, I went for a hand massage. I had this just before I went to bed. The FA made my very comfortable looking bed, and hopped in, it was like heaven! The cabin was very warm so didn't need the duvet, as the sleep suits are quite thick. The next thing I knew was that I was being gentle woken up, the FA was stroking my warm, I didn't know where I was. She had my bacon roll and coffee, and asked if I would like my breakfast in bed, which I did! I had a good 3-4hrs sound sleep, which was great! After breakfast, it was a dash to the toilets, and changed back in to my clothes. The toilets in UC seem to be the same size as Y class, which can be a little difficult if you are my height, trying to get changed!![;)]

We landed on time, and disembarked the plane with ease, as all UC passengers were allowed off first. We headed for immigration, and to the baggage reclaim, our bags came off very quickly and we went to Revivals. Had a lovely shower, and another cup of coffee!!!

Overall a great flight, as I slept so well, it was a shame that the attitude of the FA wasn't great, as the crew on our outbound flight were SO amazing! [^]

I am looking forward to my UC flight to DXB in December, will make sure I do my TR as soon as I get back!!!!

Thanks for reading and hope you liked it! Sorry I went on a bit! [:D]

Dominic MB
#380025 by mike-smashing
26 Oct 2006, 12:05
Originally posted by DMetters-Bone
The JFK CH is on a mezzanine level, and open to the airport, so it isn't a quiet haven like the other CH, also Brazil were playing in the world cup (can't remember who???) and Emirates had sponsored a TV just outside the CH so there were about 60 people watching screaming, so not the nice quiet place I was expecting.

That was my impression of the JFK Clubhouse as well. You can hear all the other airlines' announcements, and any other noise in the terminal. The design itself is good, but I think the open-plan is a bit of a misfire. Maybe there's a need to fit a 'quiet area' - and I mean a proper one, not the shoebox at the far end (usually blocked off for some VIP/CIP that VS are sucking up to).

I asked the girl if I could have a cosmopolitan, she didn't know what went in it, so I told her, and they didn't have any cosmo glasses!

Huh? That is a big come down from the bar staff at LHR.

I asked the FA if I could have a drink to be told that I could have a drink with my dinner, I repeated my request and said that I would like a drink before my dinner please, she said that they weren't doing a drinks service before dinner, I thought this was awful to be told that I couldn't have a drink! I promptly went to the bar, where the very nice FA poured me a G+T!

Welcome to the GNF.

Mike