Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#246010 by Stevieboy
03 Nov 2006, 04:31
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
My First TR:
Tried for 4 hours the previous day to do OLCI but the system would not accept my details. Made a couple of calls to VS and they confirmed I was on the flight and not to worry about OLCI.
Arrived at LGW around 7pm for Twilight Check-In, only 2 people ahead of me so I queued for less than a minute. Explained to the lady on the desk about the lack of OLCI, she said it happens from time to time but could not give a reason why. I was asked the usual questions as she was weighing and tagging my two cases which then vanished behind her. At this point I asked if she had put PE labels on them and by the look she gave me I already knew the answer before she opened her mouth[V]. I'll sort it now she said moving off very swiftly in the direction of my cases.

Arrived back at the airport about 8.45am having already checked the flight departure time at the hotel, no real surprise to see it was about an hour late.
Joined the security line straight away and was told it was only about a 30 minute queue, not too bad a thought. Things turned out even better than that as I was sitting in the departure lounge 15 minutes after joining the queue[y].

Flight was called to gate 19 around 11.00am, I took a slow stroll the short distance and was met by a queue of about 200 people trying to get in. 30 minutes later I reached the front handed in my boarding card and was then pulled aside by a security officer(I must admit I was not surprised they targeted me as I was travelling alone.)
One thing I had not previously realised is that the security is handled by a private company and not BAA. G4S(formally Securicor) now have the contract and to be honest they were not that good.
Firstly the man asked me where I was going (bit of a strange question as I was on the VS027 to Orlando!). Secondly he asked me if I was travelling alone, when I replied yes he said Why?. I explained some of my family had gone out earlier in the week and also that I had a friend flying down from New York who was meeting up with us to do the usual Orlando attractions. He then said 'so this is a business trip you are on'[:?]

Next was the search, he started with me, did the top half as usual then down the left leg at which time he was disturbed by a collegue asking him a question about having lunch. He muttered something about 1pm and then forgot to search my right leg[:?]
Next was the bag he asked me what electrical items were in it, I replied 4 things; my lap top, mobile phone, digital camera and Tom Tom. I took out the lap top and he examined it, removed the battery and examined that to, he did the same with my mobile phone. I handed him my tom tom which he turned on and then dropped it on the floor, 'oh S**t' he said 'sorry about that'. He then quickly waved me through without checking the rest of my bag or my camera which I was still holding.
By this time the gate was overflowing and I went and stood next to the other table where the searching was taking place. Got talking to another member of the G4S team who had seen what had happened. He told me they aim to search about 15% of the people at the gate and as the flight was full it was almost certainly going to cause another delay.
Boarding started shortly after this, no problems there and we finally pushed back about 12.20. Bit of a queue to get in the air but we were finally on our way[^] and the good news for me was I had the only empty seat in PE upstairs next to me[}:)]
We flew almost in a straight line for the first half of the flight crossing the coastline just south of the Bristol Channel, very close to the southern tip of Ireland before turning South West just before reaching New York (first time I had been this way as we normally head towards Manchester then just south of Iceland before passing the NE coast of Canada).
Entertainment system was being naughty, firstly by not working at all then following a very long reboot it decided not to have any sound. This was followed by another even longer reboot[|)], finally, however, it did work and stayed so for the rest of the flight.
Service onboard was excellent 2 drinks rounds before lunch which had the usual 3 options (Chicken, Beef or vegi). Then something I've not seen before straight after lunch the cabin crew came around with two bottles, one Brandy and the other Baileys and they were not shy with the measures either. (Maybe I'm missing something by being tee-total) oh well at least they had real coke and not virgin cola.
The excellent service continued for the rest of the flight with ice cream lots of juice and water as well as the cabin crew announcing (upstairs only) if you want another drink just ask[;)] and of course afternoon snack.
Finally landed about an hour and a bit late I was first off and joined the immigration queue which was about 5 deep as it still had the tail end of the Manchester flight as well as the BA one. Through in 15 minutes, usual questions and 'have a nice vacation'
Baggage was a different story (and yes she had put PE labels on my cases), Two carousels in use one for Upper & PE the other for Economy and you can guess which one was in use first[:(!], yet another example of the farce of the baggage system. Waited about another 5 minutes before my cases were off and then quickly through customs (not even a hello from the officer, as he collected my form and waved me through).
Put cases onto the shuttle system and off to the main part of the terminal to collect them again or at least wait for them, and wait, and wait a bit more by which time nearly everyone from the flight had cleared immigration and customs and was waiting to reclaim their luggage. Finally a good 40 minutes after saying goodbye to my cases the belt started and luggage appeared. A mad scrum took place with all three classes of luggage appearing at the same time. Finally got my cases although they were 5 minutes apart and got out of the airport ASAP.
Coming back Upper MIA-LHR next week,[^]

-Steve
#380926 by DMetters-Bone
03 Nov 2006, 10:18
GREAT TR Steve! Glad you had a good flight, and having a spare seat is always good!

Looking forward to your return TR, and enjoy UC you will LOVE IT! [:D]

Dominic
#380927 by mike-smashing
03 Nov 2006, 10:35
Originally posted by Stevieboy
One thing I had not previously realised is that the security is handled by a private company and not BAA. G4S(formally Securicor) now have the contract and to be honest they were not that good.

The central security area (with the x-ray machines and metal detectors) is run and staffed by BAA.

The airlines then make their own security arrangments for document checking, gate screening, aircraft minding, etc. Virgin, and many other airlines use G4S.

I'm not entirely surprised by your experience with the G4S person. The people employed on the Virgin contract appear to be uniquely surly and unpleasant.

Thanks for the TR! It's pretty much descriptive of what we've come to expect from VS. An airport experience which is somewhere between fair/middling to awful (though LHR seems generally better than most, despite it's other challenges), and generally great once flying.

Mike
#380931 by AndyK
03 Nov 2006, 10:49
Nice TR, cheers :)
#380938 by Scorpio
03 Nov 2006, 11:12
Brilliant first tr report, exactly how Gatwick is!

Enjoy your break and look forward to reading your UC experience on your trip home!
Virgin Atlantic