Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#246158 by buns
08 Nov 2006, 22:20
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
After an absolutely fabulous weekend in Boston the time had come for us to make our way back to JFK to complete the final leg of the Planes, Trains & Automobiles run. As we had accomplished the train portion by travelling on the T in Boston (a first for most of us) we had decided that we would drive back to JFK.

Richard kindly did the honours of being our limo driver for this portion and had rented a Chrysler Mini van for the purpose[y][y]. After cramming in all of our luggage (some had used the opportunity to acquire some Christmas presents for friends and family[:w]) we set off from the Boston Sheraton. Richard had wisely opted to take the in car navigation option with the rental package, so with the delights of turn left at the next junction we were quickly on the freeway. After a short stop to do even more shopping we made our way through the marginally interesting landscape to the outskirts of JFK just when the navigation system said we would be there.

We dropped off the Mini van at just after 4pm and made our way via the Air Tran shuttle to Terminal 4. On arrival, we quickly exited after someone in the carriage (not one of us I might add[:w]) had inadvertently set of the emergency alarm by leaning on it.

This was my first visit to Terminal 4 and I was struck by what now seems to be the norm in airport architecture of high vaulted ceilings that does nothing to suppress the general hubbub of a busy airport. Quite naturally we made our way to the UC check in and there were a few people ahead of us. Nottingham Nick and I were directed to the first Economy position free and this is where the fun started. The Check in agent who had noticed that we hade been re-directed was convinced that Nick had changed his first name and was attempting to put him in a snooze zone[:(!][:(!]. Now given that both he and I were travelling economy this would have been very nice but after Nick had given a good impression of Catherine Tates whatever, we persuaded the Check in agent it might be a good idea to use a PNR Number as opposed to just using a surname. This seemed to do the trick and lo and behold our reservations were found.

After dropping off our bags at the TSA station, Nick and I made our way to the Clubhouse where Richard Mannion, Highflyer and Mr & Mrs Decker had found a most suitable area to while away the next four hours or so[oo][oo]. Service was extremely attentive and we started by the now obligatory champagne followed by four club sandwiches and two club burgers (not each you understand[;)]). Being a little piglet I also went for the apple cobbler which was absolutely gorgeous[}:)]. Whilst the food and service were exemplary I did feel a little on show to the rest of the terminal throng.

After dinner, I think the rigours of the weekend finally started to catch up with us all and I watched some TV whilst others checked on their E-mails. I had few strolls around the Terminal and procured the usual duty free stuff and wandered through the shops, but there was nothing that caught my eye. At around 8.30pm we were called for our flight and bade farewell to the excellent staff in the Clubhouse. There were no queues whatsoever at security and we were all quickly through and making our way to Gate 30. Unfortunately, no Gate upgrade so made my way aboard Cover Girl. A nice touch when I entered the aircraft was to be greeted by name with a welcome back[y]. Nick and I were in 36A & C and were both seated by 9pm as was most of the pax. At one stage, I thought we might push back early but this was not to be the case and we left on time to join a laborious queue for take off which was half and hour later.

Flight time was promised to be a quick six and a half hours, but the delay on the ground meant that our scheduled arrival was back to 9.25am London time. Soon the seat belts signs were off and the usual round of messages from the FSM commenced.

We were told that as this was to be a short flight, the pre-dinner drinks service would be combined with the meal service. It might just be me but this seemed to result in what I can only describe as a tardy service[V]. Although in row 36, it took an hour for the service cart to reach me. I was offered barbeque beef. Chicken pasta or a vegetable option. I opted for the beef (for the purposes of giving a full TR you understand) and had a virgin cola to wash it down. Nick had simply opted for sleep (perhaps the premature offer of a snooze zone seat had some influence here[:w]) and after sampling the beef (Good) and the Key Lime Pie (tasted better) I too had joined him in the land of slumber.

Being of short stature, the seat pitch did not present a problem and I managed a good two hours. My V-port started to play up a bit with not wanting to change channels, so I was left listening to some classical music.

About two hours before scheduled landing the lights came back up and we were offered tea/coffee and a muesli bar or muffin.

The aircraft cabin was cleared for landing, but then we were told that due to fog at LHR we would be in a holding pattern for another 20 minutes or so. After going round and round in circles, we made our final descent over London with the FSM giving a commentary of the sights that were to be seen from the starboard side of the aircraft. A smooth touchdown was recognised by a round of applause (something I have not experienced since my charter days back in the 70s).

Off of 27R and round to Gate 3, disembarkation was smooth and the long jaunt to Immigration and baggage reclaim timed nicely for the UC and PE bags to be coming out but Nicks and mine were nowhere to be seen. Eventually, they came out (so much for priority baggage[:(!][:(!]) and this meant that Nick had to make a dash across London to catch his train back to Nottingham and forego Revivals.

My first time there was a bit of an eye opener. The place is not as big as I had imagined and there were a large number of passengers in there that made it seem very crowded. The desk staff were super efficient offering me the opportunity to shower and have a treatment (both I declined as the delay meant my time there would be limited). I joined up with the others and partook of the self service buffet (something I am told is not normally to be found here) with some nice orange juice.

Eventually, it was time for me to make my way back to the Pink Elephant car park and bade farewell after only the briefest of visits.

A very big thank you to Richard Mannion, Highflyer, Decker and Mrs D and Nottingham Nick who are the finest travelling companions you could ever wish to meet and who continue to confirm to me that V-Flyer is a true community the like you will not easily find elsewhere.
#381834 by Scorpio
08 Nov 2006, 22:25
Brilliant!

I hope you all had a fab trip and safe journeys home.
#381844 by HighFlyer
08 Nov 2006, 22:46
Fantastic TR Buns, already brings back some fantastic memories of the trip!

Check-in was rather poor at JFK, i have my I-94W sat infront of me that i now need to send back to avoid and even greater interrogation on my next trip than i received on this one [:)]

Shame that we did not get to see the new seats in PE, but there is always next time [:)] Revivals was painfully slow on Monday morning, i have never seen such a lack of initiative when it comes to service, all i can say is that it hasnt been like that on any other occasion i have been in there.

Ditto Buns in that it was a real pleasure to spend a long weekend in Boston with such good people, the drive from BOS to JFK was a lot quicker than i had envisaged and i will certainly be doing that again (no sales tax and a fine CH! No argument there!) so thanks to you all for such a fab weekend away!

Thanks,
Sarah
#381852 by mike-smashing
08 Nov 2006, 22:59
Originally posted by HighFlyer
Revivals was painfully slow on Monday morning, i have never seen such a lack of initiative when it comes to service, all i can say is that it hasnt been like that on any other occasion i have been in there.

I've found the table service in Revivals lacking on my last couple of visits. Staff stood around the bar chatting while people sat waiting to be served, when I asked what breakfast cereals they had, I was told to 'get up and go and look at the bar'! [V]

I think part of the problem is that if there is a churn in Clubhouse waitstaff, they have to take any Revivals staff that have airside passes (I've even seen 'grounded' cabin crew working in the Clubhouse by virtue of their airside pass, when they've been really short staffed) to work in the Clubhouse, which leaves Revivals with all the new staff who are still waiting for airside passes (and seem in need whipping into shape).

The staff who seem to be actual VS employees are fine. The waitstaff who aren't in VS uniform - contracted, I guess - can be hit-and-miss, most are good, but some of their colleagues really let them down.

That, and the continued crapness of the outsourced check-in - it seems they didn't properly assign yours and Nick's bags to the 'priority' cans, and the mixup over the names - make me continue to question the wisdom of VS' outsourcing/sub-contracting frenzy. It seems that maintaining a consistently good quality of service is a victim of this policy.

Cheers,
Mike
#381856 by HighFlyer
08 Nov 2006, 23:21
Originally posted by mike-smashing
That, and the continued crapness of the outsourced check-in

Outsource with a capital 'O'. When English isnt even the second or third language for people in a customer facing role, you are going to have issues. Our chap at JFK forgot to give our passports back and had to be reminded twice that we were Au - all that meant to him was 'Upper tags instead of PE tags' Doesn't paint a good picture for VS, regardless of how many beans they are saving.

Thanks,
Sarah
#381868 by JAT74L
08 Nov 2006, 23:52
Hmm... A 'Mannion Mini Van' instead of a mighty Acela Express!

Shame on you!

Regards

John
#381875 by buns
09 Nov 2006, 00:02
Originally posted by JAT74L
Hmm... A 'Mannion Mini Van' instead of a mighty Acela Express!

Shame on you!

Regards

John

John

The real deciding factor here was the fact the Sunday was also the day of the New York Marathon. Attempting to traverse the great metropolis with baggage after leaving a comfortable train was not something that any of us relished, so hence 'plan B' with the mini van.

buns
#381950 by DMetters-Bone
09 Nov 2006, 15:36
Well guys, sounded like you had lots of fun!!! Highflyer I felt the same as you in the JFK Lounge, it is nice, but it is still open to the airport, and you can hear all the announcements, not as peaceful as the LHR CH!

Regarding the drinks round coming with dinner, that happened to me in UC the FA wouldn't get me a drink before dinner, simply stated that my drink would come with dinner!![V] I just took myself to the bar, where they were more than happy to pour me a large G&T! [:D]

Glad you have FUN!

Dominic
Virgin Atlantic