Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#246378 by jilly
21 Nov 2006, 16:59
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
After a wonderful 17 night staying in Orlando, Naples, Key West and Key Largo we really didn't want to come home but hopefully the flight was going to be an improvement on the outward. Fortunately, this was the case.

Owing to the final NASCAR meet at Homestead on our departure date (not good planning I know)we left Key Largo early, too early really.

Dropped the Dollar car off and took the bus to the terminal at 3pm. Pretty smooth but still find it a hassle.

No one at the check in desk and even though we didn't get the nice smiles etc. the gentleman was pleasant and efficent and gave us an invite to the Club America lounge and he explained (rather embarassingly) that it wasn't up to Virgin clubhouse standards. We were very disappointed with the facilites, just nuts and cookies and a limited supply of beer. I decided to just use Starbucks and take my purchase in there with me. My husband exhausted their Becks beer supply.

There were no queues at Security by the time we got there (it had been very busy earlier)at 6.30pm, and the chaps on duty were particularly funny, offering lighters in any shape or colour for $100 a go. Boarding was very organised and premium passengers were called after special needs and children under 5. We decided to book seats upstairs and I definitely think it was a good move as the flight was completely full in all classes. The service we received was some of the best I have encountered, what a difference a crew can make. I still think the food was below average but the fact that nothing was too much trouble really made up for it. Still no FSM the whole flight but the crew were so good it really didn't matter. We didn't visit the bar but I did go downstairs for a manicure and compared to upstairs it was bedlum. We had finished eating around 20minutes before and the UC cabin downstairs were only just receiving their starters.

Managed around 5 hours sleep and just wanted a coffee when I woke and the same fantastic crew member seemed to have it in my hand within seconds of the request.

There was a bit of a delay holding over LHR but still managed to land on time. Luggage was the first off and we were in Revivals quickly. The last time we were there, we only had time for a quick cup of coffee but this time we planned to take our time. We were both offered treatments and shower rooms etc. My husband had yet another Rhinestone Cowboy which he found even better than the one on the outward journey, probably because she had plenty of time. The only probem was that his suit could not be pressed but they did iron his shirt and he went off to work for the afternoon but I came home, and being as ancient as I am, straight to bed.

Special thanks to Jetwet for recommending the Azul del Mar in Key Largo, it was as lovely as you said. We also visited the Azul's new property in Key West although we didn't stay there. Dominic, the owner, gave us a tour of it. Although, obviously, it doesn't have the wonderful sea views of the Key Largo property, it has been renovated to a very high standard keeping the history of the building but with contemporary furnishings.

Jilly
#383610 by pjh
21 Nov 2006, 18:40
Originally posted by jilly
The service we received was some of the best I have encountered, what a difference a crew can make. I still think the food was below average but the fact that nothing was too much trouble really made up for it. Still no FSM the whole flight but the crew were so good it really didn't matter.

Again back to the message of crew and service making the difference...a feature that can be rolled across the entire fleet with little cost and no LHR / LGW / MAN differential.

Glad your return trip was better than your outbound !

Paul
#383626 by Stevieboy
21 Nov 2006, 19:44
Jilly,
Good to see you enjoyed the majority of your return trip.
I totally agree with your comments on the lounge. I returned MIA-LHR on 10th November and as I posted at the time VS really need to look at improvments especially when your paying over £2000 for a UC ticket.
-Steve
#383628 by jilly
21 Nov 2006, 19:54
Originally posted by Stevieboy
Jilly,
I totally agree with your comments on the lounge. I returned MIA-LHR on 10th November and as I posted at the time VS really need to look at improvments especially when your paying over £2000 for a UC ticket.
-Steve

Thanks Steve, nice to know I wasn't alone. I thought some of the Caribbean lounges were poor but they are a haven compared to the Miami facilities. I did expect it but that doesn't make it acceptable.

Thank goodness for Starbucks coffee, even managed to have one within a block of both the Naples and Key West hotels - not that I'm an addict.

Jilly
#383651 by jamie
21 Nov 2006, 22:34
FSM's seem to be busy or hiding away a lot these days. Was the same on my recent flight.
#383673 by honey lamb
21 Nov 2006, 23:56
Originally posted by jamie
FSM's seem to be busy or hiding away a lot these days. Was the same on my recent flight.

And mine! What is even more galling is to read TRs about the same flight a couple of days later and see that the FSM has been very proactive in meeting with and talking to pax
#383695 by mike-smashing
22 Nov 2006, 11:10
Originally posted by jamie

They seem to be mired in paperwork these days, and the last couple of flights I've been on have been light in the crewing front too.

Cheers,
Mike
#383731 by jwhite9185
22 Nov 2006, 18:51
Originally posted by Stevieboy
Jilly,
-Steve

Thanks Steve, nice to know I wasn't alone. I thought some of the Caribbean lounges were poor but they are a haven compared to the Miami facilities. I did expect it but that doesn't make it acceptable.

Thank goodness for Starbucks coffee, even managed to have one within a block of both the Naples and Key West hotels - not that I'm an addict.

Jilly

Interesting, i was in the Starbucks in Naples last week!

I agree with what you say about Club America - we stayed for about 20 mins then went to sit at the gate instead!
#383737 by DMetters-Bone
22 Nov 2006, 19:59
Glad the return flight was better than the outbound flight, shame about the lounge!

Dominic
#383832 by Realistic Flier
23 Nov 2006, 15:08
Recently returned of my regular MAN - MCO return flights, Upper Class. Never saw the FSM in the U.C.S on the return leg. Scrooge packs were just lying on the seats when boarding along with sleep suits stacked on the bar stools in a 'self service' situation[V]

Standards seem to be very much on the slide!!!![n]
#383855 by MarkJ
23 Nov 2006, 17:43

Jilly

I am!!! and I know both these locations too!! Prefer the Naples one as it has a pleasant area to sit outside and people watch!!![8D]

Great TR Jilly - glad you had a good time and a good flight!!
#383860 by Mavrick
23 Nov 2006, 17:50
Great TR Jilly, thank you. [y]
#383905 by VS045
23 Nov 2006, 23:02
Recently returned of my regular MAN - MCO return flights, Upper Class. Never saw the FSM in the U.C.S on the return leg. Scrooge packs were just lying on the seats when boarding along with sleep suits stacked on the bar stools in a 'self service' situation

Aren't the scrooge packs just on the ottomans anyway normally. I've never actually been offered one; they've always (well twice[:I]) been lying there for me.[:?]

VS.
#383912 by honey lamb
23 Nov 2006, 23:56
Originally posted by VS045
Recently returned of my regular MAN - MCO return flights, Upper Class. Never saw the FSM in the U.C.S on the return leg. Scrooge packs were just lying on the seats when boarding along with sleep suits stacked on the bar stools in a 'self service' situation

Aren't the scrooge packs just on the ottomans anyway normally. I've never actually been offered one; they've always (well twice[:I]) been lying there for me.[:?]

VS.

The amenity kits were generally handed out by the IFBT after take -off but with the introduction of the Scrooge Pack it has increasingly become the practice to leave them on the seats. Having said that, on our recent flight to MCO the OB kit was on the seat on boarding
Virgin Atlantic