Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#246907 by daywalker
30 Dec 2006, 12:37
First off we had a connection from LBA, this went very smootly, flight was on time, took us 2-3 mins to walk to baggage collection. We waited only about 5 mins for the luggage to come off the belt (We weren't through ticketed as bookings were on seperate tickets). I decided I'd best get a trolley for this 'long' walk from T1 to T3 I was warned about. Anyway, it took us just 5 minutes to get to the UC check in from leaving luggage collection in T1, I dunno where they get these estimated walking times from but it was far quicker than we anticipated but we were very happy.

UC check in was a breeze, no one in front of us and the agent was very friendly and quick, infact there was no one at PE check in and only two couples at Y check in. We purposely arrived 8 hours before departure as we were clubhouse virgins :) Off we went to fast track, and we were through in seconds.

I decided it was a good time to get the Iris thing sorted so went and queued for that, big mistake, there was about half a 747 of Japenese waiting to register, OK, I'm lying, there was about 12 people but it ended up taking us about 45 minutes to get it all sorted, it took us just a few minutes each but they had a lot of problems with the people in front of us.

Finally we reached the clubhouse, yep, it's as good as you all say, we were very impressed and happy to while away the hours in there. I was on the Champers and Heinekens. I had a haircut booked and, as it wasn't busy I pulled it forward. The girl cutting my hair was a bit of a misery tbh but never mind, you can't have everything. My wife went for the nail treatments and was not very impressed with it either. We still had a cracking time, we both ate and took the recommendation of the clubhouse burger again, this is as good as you all say it was and we were very impressed.

All too quickly our flight was announced and we were gutted as were having a great time but off we went to board, when the flight was announced we were told there was priority boarding but I'd be damned if I could see where, we pushed in a little and didn't appear to annoy anyone but I never felt comfortable doing this, I know it's said a lot on here but they really should make it easier for priority boarders.

We were soon on board and offered the champers, I got through a couple of glasses. I wasn't interested in the reg of the plane but it was first airborne Oct 06 and as you'd expect, all was in good condition and we had our pre booked seats of 3&4K - they were excellent and felt very private as you had no one facing you.

We soon chugged off, pushing back just a few minutes late IIRC, within in seconds of takeoff I'd gone, fast asleep, I missed the hot towels and food orders but I wasn't hungry anyway. I woke briefly to change into the sleep suit and converted my seat to a bed, my wife stayed up and had a lite bite to eat.
After about 3 hours I was awake, I went to the bar to get a toothbrush and toothpaste (We just got a plastic bag with socks, eyeshades and earplugs BTW, no cardboard box! - that's not even a scrooge pack is it??) and I ordered a triple shot cappuccino which was with me promplty. My wife did the opposite, she went to sleep as I got up :)
After all that I had a little play with V-port, mainly listening to albums already on my Ipod [ii] but there you go, then I moved onto 'Snakes on a plane', if you take it light heartedly as intended it's actually not that bad a film.
It was time for breakfast, I had a double shot cappuccion this time and went for the lanb sausage roll, it was horrible!

Touchdown was nothing special and we were quickly trough fast track, unfortunately all the bags took a while to come out but hey ho, who cares, we were soon on our way and met our driver for the transfer to the Hilton Dubai Creek.

All in all, this experience was far superior to our previous efforts in UC on the MAN-MCO route, we'll definitely be repeating it again, it's worth it for the Clubhouse alone, my god I really do feel conned travelling ex-Man now! We have most of our 2007 stuff sorted but from 2008 it's ex LHR and the clubhouse all the way :)

Nothing exciting to report I'm afraid but hopefully it's useful to some of you.
#387569 by Decker
30 Dec 2006, 12:50
Thanks for that Daywalker! Good to see that the Club House loses none of its ability to impress! Wonder if working Xmas Eve put a damper on the crimper's simper?
#387571 by RichardMannion
30 Dec 2006, 12:59
8 hours before - oh my! [:p]

It is unusual behaviour for a Cowshed employee to be like that, there are normally extremely good.

Thanks,
Richard
#387615 by VS045
30 Dec 2006, 21:55
Thanks for the excellent TR[:D]

I always enjoy reading LHR-DXB UC reports as this was the best flight I've ever had when I made the trip in the summer[;)]

I applaud your time management regarding the CH[^]

VS.
#387678 by DMetters-Bone
31 Dec 2006, 13:37
Thank you for a great TR! 8 hours in the CH well done, I thought my 6 hours was good!!!![y]

Enjoy DXB.

Dominic
#387796 by ny
01 Jan 2007, 19:40
Can any one explain how Virgin and all other airlines charge the same prices for MAN/LGW departures as for LHR when the service is no where near the same on the ground and in the air ? (I know they dont fly to the same destinations but the prices seem to be pro rata)
Thanks Nick
#387803 by Decker
01 Jan 2007, 21:18
Basically, unfair as it seems, because people will pay those prices. If people refused to pay as much then the airlines would adjust the prices until they returned. Guessing you're referring to UC here because Y and W are pretty much the same from all destinations.
#387857 by daywalker
02 Jan 2007, 12:48
I think the other thing is that because of the cabin, the LGW/MAN routes are actually more appealing over the competiion on those routes. At the end of the day you're spoiled flying from LHR. Heck, I'd love to check out the CH at Gatwick next, that has to be better than the escape lounge at MAN!
Virgin Atlantic