Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#262265 by Bing71
10 Feb 2010, 00:46
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
So, having arrived in Washington in a snow storm, I joined the mass rush to get out of the US before the next snow arrived. (A good plan as it turned out).

Arrived at IAD in plenty of time, dropped car at Avis and took bus to Terminal. Check in was a breeze. I used my Au Card to use the UC desk, but both Economy and PE looked quiet.

Moved to first queue at the top of stairs to security. Looked worse that it actually is. They don't seem to want people coming down the escallators when things are full downstairs, but only a few minutes later they let us through.

Flashed Au card and was allowed to join fast queue, probably saved 30 mins. Not sure there is a formal right to use the fast track, but I tried to put on air of confidence and got through - Seems to work well sometimes.

Was expecting to ride on crazy bus contraptions with funnels to gate, as on way in. They seem to be a mad invention which must have cost a fortune and look like they were designed by the guy who worked on the set of Space 1999. Was quite pleased to see that you get a fast train on the way out instead.

The CH is right next to gate, so no worries being wrong side of security (my pet hate at SFO), and settled down to few pre flight drinks and eat.

Soup ok, rib of beef better.

Onto plane and with no upgrade, I settled into PE.

Plane pushed of 10 mins early, which was great. Sat at back, so missed out on Lamb, which earlier poster suggested was best. Chicken OK!

PE and Upper both pretty full, Economy looked less than half full. This is Washington, so plenty of Government and business types!

Oddessy still rubish, so slipped off to sleep, woke somewhere near Ireland and soon enough on ground.

Security was almost empty for EU pasport holders - Fast track was busy, which seemed daft. I only had 2 people in front of me at the desk. Luggage beat me to the baggage area (I may not always get upgraded, but my bags always do!)

Good trip and based on the weather, it was a good job I did not wait until Friday to get out.