This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#17312 by Tinkerbelle
18 Jan 2007, 15:47
As I'm sure most people know, Top Gear is back on our screens next Sunday after being postponed following the Hamster's crash in September.

Next Sundays programme will show the footage of the crash.

There's an interesting article in Richard Hammonds newspaper column where he tells the story of when he saw the crash footage the first time.

There's also some pictures which I don't know whether it's just me, but they seem bizarre to look at now when you think of how it all turned out.

I think seeing the actual film will be even stranger - does anyone else think the same?
#155611 by Bazz
18 Jan 2007, 16:17
Interesting piece, thanks for the link Tinkerbelle. I think it will be good to be able to watch the film knowing that it all turned out alright - things so easily could have been very different.

Let's hope Hampster is back to 100% real soon.
#155612 by Tinkerbelle
18 Jan 2007, 16:31
Exactly - it could have been a lot worse.

Roll on the new series of Top Gear [^]
#155614 by Neil
18 Jan 2007, 16:35
I can't wait for the new series to start and I am most glad that Richard Hammond will be presenting it after his quite amazing recovery, the 3 of them make a great team and make the programme watchable by all, even those who are not really into cars.

I have seen the pics today and agree it will be very interesting to see the actual footage, I think it is very good of Richard to actually allow it to be shown as I am sure many wouldn't of done so.[y]

Neil
#155617 by iforres1
18 Jan 2007, 16:48
Excellent timing as I will be back in the UK that weekend as well. Not having access to the beeb or ITV on my Sky receiver abroad I have to make do we re runs on UKTV.

Iain
#155619 by tallprawn
18 Jan 2007, 16:51
Good to see the Hampster getting back to form and that he is ok with the footage being screened on Top Gear...:D

Typical Clarkson though banging on about the cause of the crash being Hammonds C#*P driving...[:p]
#155668 by Scrooge
18 Jan 2007, 19:31
[y] I miss it
#155676 by MarkJ
18 Jan 2007, 19:43
Originally posted by Bazz

Let's hope Hampster is back to 100% real soon.

Saw him on Johnathon Ross - He said he is, remarkably - back to 100% already Bazz - thank heavens!!
#155766 by VS075
18 Jan 2007, 23:25
I am counting down the days to the new Top Gear series. I love the show and it will be great seeing the usual banter from Clarkson, Hammond and May again.

Btw to the people who call him 'Hampster' its actually 'Hamster' or as Clarkson once called him "Top Gear's Resident Hamster!"

[^]
#158693 by VS075
05 Feb 2007, 13:08
Anyone watch last night's episode?

The golf bit really cracked me up arguing about the cars, these guys deserve OBE's at least! [^][^][^]
#158696 by McCoy
05 Feb 2007, 13:16
Hmm.. I didn't see the point of the golf-bit.. just some filler material really. The most memorable feature for me over the last year or so was the 'winter olympics with cars' thing.. that had me laughing out loud.
#158699 by HighFlyer
05 Feb 2007, 13:20
Was too busy watching Saturday nights episode on UK Gold with Simon Cowell. The comments on the London Bus system, and why "poor people shouldn't have priority on the roads over rich people" were truly astonishing. One of those 'should not really be funny, but my god i'm laughing' moments!

Thanks,
Sarah
#158701 by Littlejohn
05 Feb 2007, 13:27
I thought it was pretty good last night, but boy didn't Hugh Grant look old. And I was distraught (not) to hear he suffers from golf balls (Good, serves him right, not that I am jealous or anything).

To be honest, the caravanning episode pushed all my buttons - IMHO it's right up their with "thrashing the car" from Faulty Towers.
#158702 by Neil
05 Feb 2007, 13:31
I agree about the golf bit, not one of their best adn a wee bit pointless, although I couldn't agree more about the Alfa being the best car driven by the best people (I am sure that's what they said anyway[}:)]).I much preferred to road tarmacking last week, or my all time fave, when they went away in the caravan, never laughed so much.

Neil
#158708 by AlanA
05 Feb 2007, 14:25
I have to say after being involved in the motor industry for the past 30 year I HATE this programme and I REALLY hate Clarkson.
I have had the unfortuante "pleasure " in meeting the arrogant $%$^&&*^$££$%^&!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are obsessed with speed and German cars. So long as they can buy their expensive "toys" they don't care who they hurt or who's jobs they destroy.
Total waste of time
(Those of you ready to jump to their defence, DON'T then post about Carbon offsetting saying we must save the planet!! [:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)] )

(RANT MODE off) [:o)][:o)]
#158709 by fozzyo
05 Feb 2007, 14:33
Originally posted by HighFlyer
Was too busy watching Saturday nights episode on UK Gold with Simon Cowell. The comments on the London Bus system, and why "poor people shouldn't have priority on the roads over rich people" were truly astonishing. One of those 'should not really be funny, but my god i'm laughing' moments!

Thankyou You Tube!

Have to say I am now a big fan to Top Gear, though always enjoyed Hamster's bike slots previously. I think it is great how they have taken a programme and completely transformed it into a chat show. The chemistry between Clarkson, Hamster and the other one that most people don't remember is fantastic.
#158726 by Bazz
05 Feb 2007, 15:50
Must say I enjoyed "Mr Slow" in the Veyron at over 253MPH, that was some drive, had a chuckle when May said "I'm leaving the F1 cars behind now"
#158727 by preiffer
05 Feb 2007, 15:57
And with 12 minutes to empty a 100 litre fuel tank at that speed, I hope they were planting some trees during that filming... [:w]
#158737 by pjh
05 Feb 2007, 17:02
Originally posted by fozzyo
The chemistry between Clarkson, Hamster and the other one that most people don't remember is fantastic.

It is in fact a rather odd version of Winnie The Pooh.

Clarkson = Pooh Bear (Slightly "evil twin" version), Richard Hammond = Tigger and James May (the Brad Dexter of Top Gear?) = Eyeore.

Paul
#158741 by MarkJ
05 Feb 2007, 17:16
Originally posted by pjh
The chemistry between Clarkson, Hamster and the other one that most people don't remember is fantastic.

Clarkson = Pooh Bear (Slightly "evil twin" version), Richard Hammond = Tigger and James May (the Brad Dexter of Top Gear?) = Eyeore.

Paul

Paul - you need to keep off the nail polish remover and vodka cocktails!!
#158748 by pjh
05 Feb 2007, 17:40
Originally posted by MarkJ
Originally posted by pjh

Paul

Paul - you need to keep off the nail polish remover and vodka cocktails!!

Mark

With my current assignment ("your development and testing environments are now disappearing for a week") it's only those cocktails and VF that keep me going.

Paul
#158815 by Littlejohn
05 Feb 2007, 22:12
Originally posted by pjh

So are you trying to say The Stig is Owl[?] I always thought he was Divina Galica:D
#158819 by VS075
05 Feb 2007, 22:36
Originally posted by AlanA
I have to say after being involved in the motor industry for the past 30 year I HATE this programme and I REALLY hate Clarkson.
I have had the unfortuante "pleasure " in meeting the arrogant $%$^&&*^$££$%^&!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are obsessed with speed and German cars. So long as they can buy their expensive "toys" they don't care who they hurt or who's jobs they destroy.
Total waste of time
(Those of you ready to jump to their defence, DON'T then post about Carbon offsetting saying we must save the planet!! [:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)] )

I take it you work for Vauxhall/General Motors cos I remember reading about how he gave the Vectra a bad name by describing it as a 'box on wheels'!

And Clarkson doesn't like BMWs.
#158849 by davidfsmith
06 Feb 2007, 09:30
Originally posted by VS075

I thought it was more the "drivers" of BMW's that cause offence (or is it just me they seem to always pull out on...)

:D
#158854 by AlanA
06 Feb 2007, 09:41
Originally posted by VS075
Originally posted by AlanA
Total waste of time

I take it you work for Vauxhall/General Motors cos I remember reading about how he gave the Vectra a bad name by describing it as a 'box on wheels'!

No,
I used to work for the Rover Group. I used to supply parts to the Rover Group, as did thousands of other people.

He hates BMW drivers as they are too much like him. He creams himself over the latest BMW that comes out over its ability to race past the speed limits in this country.
The man is an idiot.
Virgin Atlantic