This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#17681 by easygoingeezer
05 Feb 2007, 17:06
I want to book a train journey in first from Harrogate to London, either via Leeds or York. Everytime I look at the VT search site it always brings up GNER, Anyone got any tips on cheaper fares either on gner or VT and which is best. Seen some fares at £500[:0] whats that all about, at that rate I will fly.
#158742 by pjh
05 Feb 2007, 17:25
Originally posted by easygoingeezer
I want to book a train journey in first from Harrogate to London, either via Leeds or York. Everytime I look at the VT search site it always brings up GNER, Anyone got any tips on cheaper fares either on gner or VT and which is best. Seen some fares at £500[:0] whats that all about, at that rate I will fly.

Thetrainline.com suggests that a same day 1st class open return is about 280 on GNER. One of those is available on a direct service to Kings Cross.

VT doesn't serve the eastern side of the UK; I think you'd have to head into the Midlands to make a VT connection

Paul
#158743 by RedVee
05 Feb 2007, 17:26
Hi EGG

Think that this is because Virgin only operate the West Coast Mainline service north/south (and vice versa) plus some routes known as cross country. GNER have, for now, the franchise for the east coast route. To get on Virgin you'd have to go cross county to somewhere like Warrington Bank Quay first.

Regards

Pat

PS - my first class peak ticket with Virgin is now >£300
#158751 by jilly
05 Feb 2007, 17:44
Egg you really need to book on GNER via Leeds or York, look into booking two single fares as it is usually cheaper. You can only book up to 3 months in advance but it's as little as £12 each way.

You will have to select which service you travel on and there are no refunds unless the train is cancelled by GNER, but if that's not a problem then it's good value and a decent service from either Leeds or York as I use the same trains that pick up here in Peterborough all the time.

Jilly
#158752 by easygoingeezer
05 Feb 2007, 17:45
Is it worth going first? who does it and can advise, whats the deal.

The pricing is way high, at this rate I will end up being un-ecologically friendly and flying or driving.
#158753 by fozzyo
05 Feb 2007, 17:45
Also what times are you going? On the railways of you go in peak hours (they vary depending on direction and location) you will pay a fortune. An off-peak ticket for me to London on Virgin costs about £30 - £40, peak hours about £120!
#158754 by jilly
05 Feb 2007, 17:49
Using the same service that I gave you details of earlier, in first class the cost would be £33.40 each way.

Jilly
#158771 by pjh
05 Feb 2007, 18:30
Originally posted by easygoingeezer
Is it worth going first? who does it and can advise, whats the deal.

The pricing is way high, at this rate I will end up being un-ecologically friendly and flying or driving.

http://www.gner.co.uk has the detail of onboard services. One neat feature - albeit not restricted to 1st and you have to pay - is the onboard WiFi.

Paul
#158821 by VS075
05 Feb 2007, 22:41
First of all Virgin Trains don't serve Harrogate...GNER serve Harrogate with a HST to King's Cross which leaves at 07.28 arriving at King's Cross at 10.25. No return service AFAIK. Virgin operate the West Coast and the Cross Coutnry franchises.

Secondly to get cheap fares you need to travel off-peak or buy in advance. I believe GNER offer some really good deals on advance fares.

Thirdly you will find that from the summer timetable change GNER will be operating a half-hourly service from Leeds to King's Cross so if you can put up with a Northern service to Leeds then you will reap the rewards the rest of the way.

Alternatively you could travel on the direct service from Harrogate if the times are right for you.
#158832 by mcmbenjamin
06 Feb 2007, 03:35
I take the VT London to Glasgow in the summer. It is a nice but relaxing ride. Certainly better than crap Amtrak in the USA and is a perfect time to read the paper and listen to audio programs.

Trains are neat plus (sometimes) offer a shorter point to point travel time.
#158835 by PVGSLF
06 Feb 2007, 03:53
Perhaps APD will be put into subsidising the railways in the UK, and bringing tickets down to a price where it isn't cheaper to fly to New York to go shopping rather than take the train to London.

I usually find renting a car and driving is far cheaper. For some of those prices you could probably rent a chauffer driven 6 litre V12 Bentley for a day and arrive in style. To hell with the Environment. You've paid your dues, and the environmentally sensible option is just too stupidly priced.
#158872 by JAT74L
06 Feb 2007, 11:43
Definately GNER for you EGG and First Class is quite pleasant. You need to pay for the food and alcohol (unlike Virgin West Coast where it's built into the ticket price) but you do get free Wi-Fi and soft drinks.

The other good thing about going GNER (for me) is that the trains don't tilt - as this occasionally makes me feel nauseous.

Regards

John
#158899 by karnsculpture
06 Feb 2007, 15:49
I travel GNER all the time. A tip - buy a standard class ticket and have your lunch/dinner in the buffet car, where you are put into a 1st class seat. The menu is quite good, great service and you won't pay too much unless you order wine etc. If there is just one sitting on the journey e.g. Kings Cross to York, you can stay in the 1st Class seat. If the journey has more than 1 sitting you will need to move back to standard class for the rest of the time. I tip the catering assistant and they always let me stay in my seat for a bit longer if the table has not been pre-booked.

If you can do it, and are in Standard Class, bag a seat near the luggage racks near the back/front of the carriage - loads more legroom.

Oh, and another tip - the seats near the buffet car are rarely reserved in standard, but people always walk right by them hoping to bag a double in Coach A or something. Save yourself a walk and get in Coach G. Never fails.

Paul
#158989 by easygoingeezer
07 Feb 2007, 13:49
Thanks for all the kind info guys, I really appreciate it.

Cheers

EGG.
Virgin Atlantic