This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#18031 by n/a
26 Feb 2007, 07:30
No, no, this isn't the first installment of my autobiography.

Instead, it's merely a humble thread set up to give Oscar night kudos to one of my favorite actors on the planet -- from Prime Suspect to tonight -- the fabulous Dame Helen Mirren.

Huzzah!

GJ
#161518 by DMetters-Bone
26 Feb 2007, 10:04
I am glad she got the Oscar! [^][^] She is a great actress!

However last year I was walking behind her at Euston Station, and she stopped dead in her tracks, turned around and stood on my foot, she did apologise! [y]
#161526 by fozzyo
26 Feb 2007, 10:37
Most upset - Sky Movies had the Oscars last night and since we don't pay for them couldn't watch them or record them to watch tonight. For nearly ten years now I've watched the Oscars live. :o(

But the awards look fairly good this year - we didn't get to see The Departed when it was out though, will have to watch it when its on cable on-demand.
#161554 by ChuckC
26 Feb 2007, 14:52
With wins for Helen Mirren and "The Departed", along with the improbable nod to Jennifer Hudson my faith in Oscar wisdom is hereby restored.

Chuck-
#161555 by Bazz
26 Feb 2007, 14:54
Well I am pleased to say I was bang on with my predictions [y]

You have to see "The Departed" Mat, it is a great film and to pick up Best Film and Best Director is a great testimony to all who helped bring it together. I think I will get the DVD just for the extra bits and in the hope Scorsese does a commentary on it.

We couldn't get to watch the ceremony live either, every time I hit the bloody red button on my Sky remote the picture froze and nothing happened! Grrr!
#161567 by ChuckC
26 Feb 2007, 16:14
Bazz,
THe Scorcese acceptance speech is one for the history books. Very funny and good.
Chuck-
#161773 by Ian
27 Feb 2007, 18:32
Yes, I agree she is a great actress and very nice off screen, too. However, the pedant in me wishes to point out that it is incorrect, when proposing a loyal toast, to use the words "I give you". Other pedants are welcome to contradict me.
#161865 by Ian
28 Feb 2007, 10:24
Yes, GJ, use of the words "I give you" is common in the UK too. But that doesn't make it correct. Rather like the phrase "All that glitters is gold" is commonly used, but isn't correct. Damn, there's that pedant in me again. I blame you :)
#161872 by honey lamb
28 Feb 2007, 10:50
Originally posted by Ian
Yes, GJ, use of the words "I give you" is common in the UK too. But that doesn't make it correct. Rather like the phrase "All that glitters is gold" is commonly used, but isn't correct. Damn, there's that pedant in me again. I blame you :)

Don't worry Ian, I can be as pedantic as be-damned when I want to. Most of the time I think that life's too short, but then something gets right up my nose and I'm off!!
#161882 by Decker
28 Feb 2007, 11:41
Originally posted by Ian
Rather like the phrase "All that glitters is gold" is commonly used, but isn't correct.

Sorry Ian never heard that. Now glistens and not perhaps...

[:w]
#162014 by Ian
01 Mar 2007, 09:37
Originally posted by Decker
Originally posted by Ian
Rather like the phrase "All that glitters is gold" is commonly used, but isn't correct.

Sorry Ian never heard that. Now glistens and not perhaps...

Ah, yes, Decker, thank you for pointing out the lack of the word "not", but shouldn't it be "glisters"?
#162038 by Decker
01 Mar 2007, 11:21
Ian

well if you wanted a CORRECT quote then yes. But if you wanted an incorrect one then use both my words ;).

Decker
#162102 by honey lamb
01 Mar 2007, 18:54
Originally posted by GrinningJackanapes
Originally posted by honey lamb
but then something gets right up my nose and I'm off!!

I know that "something" you are talking about. Do you have a small packet of it in your purse?

GJ

#162444 by fozzyo
05 Mar 2007, 16:27
With the whole thing of Virgin Media and Sky throwing all their toys out of the pram I called VM on Friday to discuss our package. They were very helpful - upgraded broadband to 10meg, included Sky Movies & Sky Sports, cheaper international and mobile calls too and reduced the package cost for us. Which was nice.

Meant that on Sunday morning I was finally able to watch the Oscars!! Really enjoyed it, soo glad they changed it so that the technical awards were given away properly. Non of that in the audience acceptance speech or all standing on stage they did the one year ... why? Yeah, so these people aren't famous, but without them your screwed.

Anyway, rather good show - and total respect for Dame Helen. And I can't believe that Dame Judi didn't make it because she was having a boob job! Well thats what Ellen said, she did a very good job of hosting the show.
Virgin Atlantic