This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#18800 by honey lamb
13 Apr 2007, 00:48
This morning around 11:30 I was checking my emails and V-flyer when I heard the whoop whoop of an ambulance siren. To be honest I didn't take much notice as I live at the end of a street which joins the by-pass route through the town because of a one way system and therefore an ambulance siren is almost a daily occurrence. It stopped and a few minutes later a second siren was heard. Time to investigate. I noticed a guy looking down the street and did the same only to see the ambulance and a squad car park a few doors down. We watched as they entered a premises across the road from me (and one which I had once owned) which housed a Turkish barber shop. The paramedics and cops were in and out and as it is a small town we knew most of them. At one stage I saw a neighbour approach the paramedic who was from the town and this neighbour could get blood from a stone. As he passed the house I asked him what was happening and the chilling response was "Murder" We watched as the local Superintendent came and one of the local GPs; paramedics went in and out to the ambulance and early on put on gloves; a couple of detectives arrived (one who went into the wrong premises [:0] ); the forensic team arrived with the white garments under their arms and the cops closed the street. After about an hour there was activity as someone was brought out on the gurney with an oxygen mask on his face and the ambulance whooped him off to Cork. However the cops remained on the scene and we knew that there was more.

On the 1 o'clock news it was stated that the victim was a woman and was a non-national. Up to then we had assumed it was a drunken brawl between two men but as Aer John is wont to say "Assumption is the mother of all f***-ups"; on the 2 o'clock news it was stated it was a local woman and 2 +2 were rapidly put together and a correct 4 made. She was raised about 100 yards from where I live. I spoke to her the other day. She always speaks to me when she meets me. Her mother, who is a psychiatric patient, is well known to me and although she is in hospital right now has always had a good rapport with me. To say we were stunned was stating the obvious and at that stage I needed to get away and so went for a long walk and by the time I got back everyone seemed to have gone away.

About 8pm this evening I glanced out of the window to see renewed activity. it resembled CSI! Guys were there in white gear and taking photos fit to beat the band; the Technical Services van arrived from Dublin and about three quarters of an hour later a nondescript car driven by a nondescript woman parked outside my front door. It was the Assistant State Pathologist. About 45 minutes later a hearse arrived from the local undertakers and the body was whisked off to Cork University Hospital for a post mortem.

I suppose the next bit of excitement will be when yer man is charged and as I live next door to the courthouse I can expect huge media presence [V]. However all I can think about right now is that there are three children without a mother or father [:#]
#167296 by VS045
13 Apr 2007, 10:09
Sorry to hear the news HL - death is often worst when unexpected[:#]

VS.
#167310 by honey lamb
13 Apr 2007, 10:57
Originally posted by GrinningJackanapes
Ah the sylvan environment of the council flats...

GJ

Oh GJ, you disappoint me [:#] No sylvan environment of council flats - in fact no council flats in the town, only houses in small estates. The street is part commercial and part residential virtually in the centre of the town.
#167313 by MarkJ
13 Apr 2007, 11:36
You are right Christine - what a day! Im glad that you are safe and well, It must be an awful feeling to not only know someoine but also with regard to the proximity.

My Mum and Dad were in a rented house three doors down from where a young bride was tragically murdered in Sutton in Ashfield and there were police and forensic officers in white boiler suits all over the place. When I parked outside my Mum's for the first time I was questioned as to who I was etc and whether I had seen anything - have they asked you for anything yet?
#167329 by Scorpio
13 Apr 2007, 12:41
omg!

I have only just seen this thread, what a shock for you?

I came into my work this morning to find our office had been ransacked and my money, bank details, boss`s bank & credit card stuff missing but my god nothing compared to what you have seen.

You must have and still are in shock have they taken a statement from you yet?

I hope the children are ok, poor things.
#167338 by VS075
13 Apr 2007, 13:09
Glad you're OK honey lamb.

I would be so scared if this took place near me. In fact I'm a bit shocked now having realised it could've been you.
#167351 by honey lamb
13 Apr 2007, 13:51
OK, folks! Just to reassure you and thank you for your concern. At no stage was I or anyone around here in any danger other than the shock of hearing what had happened and distress of knowing the victim, nor will I be required to make a statement (well I don't think I will) The murder was purely a domestic incident - if you can ever call murder that
#167355 by Littlejohn
13 Apr 2007, 14:01
An awful incident to happen in your patch nevertheless. Hope things return to normal in the neighbourhood as soon as possible.
#167441 by buns
13 Apr 2007, 21:00
Honeylamb

What a dreadful shock this must be for you and no doubt Aer John[:0]

When a devistating occurence happens close by it brings home how fragile life is and how all of us cannot be certain of the future.

My thoughts are with you

buns
#167444 by Scrooge
13 Apr 2007, 21:24
Originally posted by buns4vs
Honeylamb

What a dreadful shock this must be for you and no doubt Aer John[:0]

When a devistating occurence happens close by it brings home how fragile life is and how all of us cannot be certain of the future.

My thoughts are with you

buns

Could not of said it better.
Virgin Atlantic