This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#171309 by easygoingeezer
12 May 2007, 15:55
Originally posted by VS045
Like those poor Germans in 1933-1945 had no opportunity to push back against Hitler? I suggest, respectfully, that if any country is being unfairly targeted for the actions of a rabid minority, then the majority needs to take whatever steps are needed to cure the rabies. Elsewise, they surrender a goodly portion of their innocence and move more toward culpability.

I don't think those living within Nazi Germany had much of an idea of what was really going on. Ordinary citizens had little knowledge of what their leader was up to through a careful control of propaganda. Even those who did know what was happening to the Jews, for example, did not think what they were doing was wrong, on the whole, due to a ten year process of indoctrination. When some began to wake up to what was really happening, there was some resistance, such as the bomb plot of '44 which unfortunately did not manage to kill "The Fuhrer."

Having said that, your argument is certainly very persuasive and I will not be so stubborn as to blindly follow my point of view without acknowleding that perhaps both, or neither, of us is right. In any case, it matters little what we, the majority, think anyway.

The population at the time actually did know what was goin on and indeed what was coming, they believed wholeheartedly that they were the master race and swallowed the theory very easily, the plans were clearly drawn out in mein kamfe which sold more copies than the bible ever had at that time.

coupled with that however was the fear of Hitlers Fog and Darkness policy whereupon hundreds of thousands of people were snatched in the night hours and literally were never heard of again, people would denounce neighbours even children their parents for not being onboard the nazi bus, some even did this just to settle old scores.

Its one of histories enigmas that the german population so easily accepted the evil of facism and the jewish population seemed to passivly accept their own persecution.

Still to this day if you want to work for the civil service you have to proove yourself to have no german ancestry back three generation, even for a jobcentre clerical job.