This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#19405 by n/a
23 May 2007, 22:39
Someone told me there was a big footy game today -- might have involved Liverpool, but I'm not sure? Any help would be appreciated...does anyone know if Liverpool won?

[}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

GJ
#172560 by goanmad
23 May 2007, 22:53
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Originally posted by GrinningJackanapes
Someone told me there was a big footy game today -- might have involved Liverpool, but I'm not sure? Any help would be appreciated...does anyone know if Liverpool won?

[}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

GJ
#172563 by Bazz
23 May 2007, 23:02
No they did not.
#172565 by AlanA
23 May 2007, 23:09
Well done to Liverpool for getting as far as you did.

Commiserations in not winning, you went further again than "that other lot".

Some people do not seem to realise that an English team getting to the European finals is supported by most true English football fans over and above other rivalries as you have held the flag for England tonight.

Next year Liverpool, next year.
#172567 by Bazz
23 May 2007, 23:30
Originally posted by GrinningJackanapes
Originally posted by Bazz
No they did not.

Oh such a shame...one's heart bleeds.

GJ

Someone had to rise to the bait in order to permit the banter to thrive [}:)]
#172568 by Decker
23 May 2007, 23:31
Who were they playing then?
#172581 by AlanA
24 May 2007, 09:26
Just proving yet again GJ that you are more American than English. But no matter, probably suits your constitution more.

The fact that Man utd can enter European competitions yet fail time and time again even toi get to the final with their vast fianancial backing and huge "talented" squad speaks volumes about them than other teams.
The fact that Man utd is awash with money yet the only thing they can acheive with their highly paid squad is a domestic championship and you allow your bitterness to find glee in the English club losing to the Italians is very telling.
Where has Fergie said he was not supporting Liverpools efforts in the final?
Being in the UK and watching the game with English football fans, from Chelsea, Spurs, Man utd, Wolves, Coventry, Arsenal and many other teams, you know, in this country, I can tell you that ALL of them were supporting Liverpool in this final, yes even the real season ticket holding go to every game Man Utd fans, so I think I do know the feeling of the English football fans, I think other people are misinformed whilst sitting 8,000 miles away, you know the type, the true armchair "fan" or even bandwaggoners who cannot understand or visulise what football means to English fans in European competitions.
Some people should realise you know, that even their team has been relegated before and what comes around goes around, that taking glee in an English club losing to an Italian club in a final will lead to a Karma they cannot avoid.
#172582 by preiffer
24 May 2007, 09:34
Originally posted by AlanA
Some people should realise you know, that even their team has been relegated before and what comes around goes around, that taking glee in an English club losing to an Italian club in a final will lead to a Karma they cannot avoid.
Wise words, Alan - read them back. ;)
#172585 by AlanA
24 May 2007, 09:47
Originally posted by preiffer
Wise words, Alan - read them back. ;)

Exactly Paul,
I speak from the position of experiance. [:#]
#172596 by VS075
24 May 2007, 10:57
Nicely put AlanA [y]

Before any other Man Utd fans start to gloat publicly the fact must be stressed that Liverpool have got to two Champions League finals within two years, with a squad which although may not be world beaters is a good squad, says a lot really compared to the likes of Chelsea and Man Utd.

These two teams in particular have the squads, and the money, to go to the final and win it, but they haven't (within the last 5 years), so fans of these two teams are not really in a position to laugh about what happened last night.

I was equally as gutted for Arsenal last year when they lost to Barcelona. They played well in that match, but anything that could go wrong for them did go wrong yet they put up a brave fight.
#172602 by Jon B
24 May 2007, 11:56
Watched the game last night and thought although it was not a classic, Liverpool played very well although couldn't deliver the killing pass in the box.

Can't say I ever support another team in Europe just because they are English, but then it goes the other way too, can't say I ever want a foreign team to beat the English club either.... Apathy reigns supreme :D

One point that does get me riled however is the way true fans are treated when it comes to major finals. To give only 17,000 tickets to Liverpool was just plain wrong IMO. Go further than that, ALL major club finals should be played in stadiums that hold 80,000 minimum as a capacity, out of that 80,000 the ticket allocations should be divided equally amongst the two competing clubs - stuff the corporate and 'wider football family'

The same was true of the FA Cup final last weekend, all this crap about tickets going to the greater 'football family' is a huge cop out. We all know that the majority of these tickets end up with touts who then fleece the fans.

Bad luck Liverpool, but given the new investment in the club I don't think it will be too long before you are back in a C.L final again

Jon B
#172604 by AlanA
24 May 2007, 14:07
Jon,
you are quite correct.
Another stupid situation has arisen with Wembley and the Championship final on Sunday.
9,000 debenture tickets have not been allocated but cannot be sold, so 9,000 WBA/Derby fans are missing out and the seats are staying empty.
Stupid.

UEFA should do what the NFL does, and that is not allow the Superbowl to be played in stadia which do not meet their requirements.
#172625 by iforres1
24 May 2007, 19:18
Hey Alan,

There was even a few Scottish folks supporting Liverpool last night hoping for an Englis team to win ;)

Iain
#172643 by AlanA
24 May 2007, 21:29
GJ why use one word when seventeen will do eh?

Your original un edited last posting I felt put an end to the discussion, but you could not let it lie eh?
Had to have a pop again at Leeds, had to have a go also at the team who got to the final ahead of your team, not being able to admit that they deserved to be there.
No one was asking you to be a supporter of Liverpool, but to be a supporter of the only English team in the final.
It was you who started this generalization theme. I merly pointed out to you that the majority of true English football fans of whatever team they support were rooting for the English team that night. A fact supported by the sports radio phone ins where many Man Utd fans were ringing in to commiserate with the Liverpool fans.
As for Fergison, what a sad individual, he will be remembered for his complet lack of success in Europe, not his domestic wins. His attitude an "glass of wine" reminds me of another sad bitter old man in the shape of Risdale.
Some supprters of Man utd do their club a credit by the way they react to Liverpools loss, others do not.
#172646 by RichardMannion
24 May 2007, 21:49
Ahh the football 'fans' discuss the merits of a game. Never really got my head round the mentality of certain people in that respect. Follow 'their' team so passionately and rubbish the opposition and its players, yet when said players of the opposition are playing for the national side all that negativity goes out of the window. Hypocrites one could say. It's almost as sad as following everything a team does, oh they are sponsored by Emirates now so I will do all my travel with Emirates, or inverse, arch-rival team is sponsored by X so I never want anything to do with X ever again. Oh yes, there are such people.

And as for fans not getting an equal share of the ticket, sorry that is just the way it is nowadays. It is a sport as a secondary, the primary is financial. FA Cup last week, a large proportion of the attendees probably supported neither team - they were there on a corporate jolly. Do you sell a ticket to a fan for y, or sell it to a corporate who will pay far more than y, or might actually pay nothing at all for the ticket but has committed substanial amounts of money in sponsorship. I don't support a team as I find the whole notion a bit strange, but don't mind watching a game or two and if I really wanted to go and see a particular match, I can if I am prepared to pay the price; now sure the fans are going to cry foul but tough the game does not really revolve around the fans anymore and it won't return to the good days until fans start to wake up and vote with their feet. Remember that these clubs that have floated have shareholders to please, and there are very few chairmen that are prepared just to toss money away.

Thanks,
Richard
#172674 by Jon B
24 May 2007, 23:29
Originally posted by RichardMannion
I don't support a team as I find the whole notion a bit strange, but don't mind watching a game or two and if I really wanted to go and see a particular match, I can if I am prepared to pay the price

Of course you realise your comment above makes you an Arsenal fan by default [:w]

and just for the record Richard, ticket allocations for the FA Cup final have for decades been split between the two clubs taking part in the final and the other members of the Football Association - that has nothing to do with corporate sponsorship or the money that has been 'invested' in the game in recent years. It does however still make it wrong

Jon B
#172681 by RichardMannion
24 May 2007, 23:59
Originally posted by Jon B

and just for the record Richard, ticket allocations for the FA Cup final have for decades been split between the two clubs taking part in the final and the other members of the Football Association - that has nothing to do with corporate sponsorship or the money that has been 'invested' in the game in recent years. It does however still make it wrong

Not quite. See the FA Cup has now returned to Wembley, and there are a sizeable group of wealthy people that bought into Club Wembley (http://www.wembleystadium.com/seatsandboxes/prices) that gain access to the event. I know people that bought in at various levels and couldn't care less about football, it's all about corporate entertainment.

And there are many corporates that bought boxes at Wembley (if I recall there is a waiting list for a box now). I should know as I was sat recently with the person that was deciding which customers of ours we should send to use the box my employer got for buying into Wembley. And did we send people who liked football?

Thanks,
Richard
#172684 by AlanA
25 May 2007, 00:05
ooooH gosh richard. What a can of worms this could open
Should Wembley have been built where it is?
Should the "loyal" fan who goes to every home or away or both games get a ticket or should it go to the "fat cats" who put their companies money into the building of the stadium?
Should the FA be dissolved and replaced by a new body?
Should outside companies come in and buy up British football assets?
Do all football fans put country before club or is it vice-versa?
You could have this thread run all through summer until the new season starts!! (VBG)
#172685 by AlanA
25 May 2007, 00:08
Originally posted by iforres1
Hey Alan,

There was even a few Scottish folks supporting Liverpool last night hoping for an Englis team to win ;)

Iain

They were saying on Talk sport that Liverpool fans had come from all over the world to try and get into the game, it was as you say, not just English fans supporting the 'pool, even some Americans were doing that! [:o)]
#172686 by preiffer
25 May 2007, 00:09
You could have this thread run all through summer until the new season starts!! (VBG)
OR we could not, and instead remember why each and every person signed up to this website in the first place.

It certainly wasn't to type the death out of football for hours on end...

BLOODY HELL - I see someone's discussing something about FLYING somewhere just a few threads above (even worse, they're talking about maybe using Virgin Atlantic). Best hurry up and generate yet another football thread to counter it. [ii]
#172693 by AlanA
25 May 2007, 08:36
When did this become a forum about flying???
Who is this Virgin Atlantic? are they a regional airline of British Overseas Airways Corporation?? [:o)]
#172695 by Jon B
25 May 2007, 09:08
Originally posted by RichardMannion
Originally posted by Jon B

Not quite. See the FA Cup has now returned to Wembley, and there are a sizeable group of wealthy people that bought into Club Wembley (http://www.wembleystadium.com/seatsandboxes/prices) that gain access to the event. I know people that bought in at various levels and couldn't care less about football, it's all about corporate entertainment.

And there are many corporates that bought boxes at Wembley (if I recall there is a waiting list for a box now). I should know as I was sat recently with the person that was deciding which customers of ours we should send to use the box my employer got for buying into Wembley. And did we send people who liked football?

Thanks,
Richard

Richard - you missed my point directly above completely.

I am not talking about corporate tickets which account for around 19% of the capacity at Wembley. My point is aimed at the 25% of the capacity - circa 23,000 tickets, that are split between the 92 professional football clubs, 134 full member clubs, Uefa, Fifa and county and international football associations - This is nothing new and has gone on for decades.

Take these away and give them to the competing clubs in the final and you would have 36,500 (or 40%) of tickets going to supporters of clubs involved

Corporates can stay, most true fans laugh at them anyway as they sit and watch the game armed with a glass of overpriced pinot grigio and sing songs about Manchester Rovers and such like.

Jon B
#172897 by MarkJ
27 May 2007, 20:56
Originally posted by preiffer
OR we could not, and instead remember why each and every person signed up to this website in the first place.

It certainly wasn't to type the death out of football for hours on end...

BLOODY HELL - I see someone's discussing something about FLYING somewhere just a few threads above (even worse, they're talking about maybe using Virgin Atlantic). Best hurry up and generate yet another football thread to counter it. [ii]

Are we correct in thinking that you dont like football then Paul?

I am pretty sure that the contributors to this current thread have all made some fine contributions to the rest of the site with bits and pieces about allsorts of topics - if you want to discuss skydiving or IT stuff or whatever you are interested in, then I am sure that you will enjoy the discussions and those of us who have no interest just leave those of you who are interested to "get on with it".

Of course we all understand that the mods have to make sure that a sense of decorum is maintained - but that surely does not mean that comments deriding the views of those contributing are necessary!!
#172898 by iforres1
27 May 2007, 21:07
As much as I really don't want to get involved in an "English football" discusion, as i am not a true supporter, "Come on Leicester" [:I] I think that this forum "OT" was introduced specifically for anything other than VS related so go for it IMHO:D

Iain
#172910 by preiffer
28 May 2007, 00:59
Originally posted by MarkJ
I am pretty sure that the contributors to this current thread have all made some fine contributions to the rest of the site with bits and pieces about allsorts of topics
Many have, Mark - but there is the odd one who I'd now have to question (having now decided to contribute to this thread) ;)[:p]
Originally posted by MarkJ
if you want to discuss skydiving or IT stuff or whatever you are interested in, then I am sure that you will enjoy the discussions and those of us who have no interest just leave those of you who are interested to "get on with it".

And, if I wanted to discuss skydiving, I'd do that on dropzone.com - you know, the forum site that's specifically INTERESTED in skydiving... [:w][ii]
Virgin Atlantic