This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#19855 by MrsG
26 Jun 2007, 13:05
Since I am now live surrounded by the sea, I have been thinking of taking a PADI instructed diving course. It involves classroom work, practice in a pool and finally time in the ocean.

Just wondering have any other V-Flyers taken any PADI courses?

Thanks
#175702 by Decker
26 Jun 2007, 13:14
Yup - open water -> advanced open water -> rescue diver

Well worth it - most fun you'll ever have :)
#175712 by MrsG
26 Jun 2007, 14:38
Thanks Decker, I'm really looking forward to it!
#175720 by p17blo
26 Jun 2007, 15:55
Yes I am PADI qualified but not as far as Decker. I have only made Advanced Open Water but I would recommend this to. Pretty much accepted the world over also.

You could do what I did and that was to do your classroom and pool dives in the UK then go somewhere warm for your qualifying open water dives.

Oh, be VERY prepared for a LONG swim as part of the qualification. If you are a good floater it won't be a problem but those who don't swim too good and sink like a stone better get practising.

Paul
#175721 by FamilyMan
26 Jun 2007, 15:58
Originally posted by MrsG
Since I am now live surrounded by the sea, I have been thinking of taking a PADI instructed diving course. It involves classroom work, practice in a pool and finally time in the ocean.

Thanks

I took my Open Water about 10 years ago and then never took it any further due to marriage, kids etc. Almost used it in VN last year but didn't have my card with me.

I would also highly recommend it - most fun you can have with a wetsuit on.

Phil FM
#175722 by honey lamb
26 Jun 2007, 15:59
Originally posted by p17blo

You could do what I did and that was to do your classroom and pool dives in the UK then go somewhere warm for your qualifying open water dives.

Paul

Er, Paul. MrsG lives in Bermuda. It'd be a bit expensive coming to the UK to do the classroom and pool dives [:w]
#175731 by mitchja
26 Jun 2007, 16:37
Yes also a PADI open water diver here too. Love every minute of diving whilst on holiday. Never got round to doing my advanced though. It's so relaxing and just amazing [y]

It was actually snowing when I did my training up in Capernwray near Lancaster diving in a water filled quarry. I've never been so cold in all my life even with a dry suit on, fluffy under-suit and tracksuit under that [:0]. I was so cold I couldn't even get my fins off once we had finished the training [:0]

Once I'd done my first reef dive in the Caribbean (Merlin Reef - Barbados) I was well and trully hooked though [y] [y]

Regards
#175734 by HighFlyer
26 Jun 2007, 17:14
Padi Open Water here too. Never got around to taking any further qualifications, but I'm happy diving in relatively shallow waters just swimming with the fish.

I took all my lessons in Sharm el Sheikh and really enjoyed the whole qualification experience. I started out in the pool, then in the sea (walking in from the beach) and then from jetty's and boats. There were some pretty tough exercises, the theory stuff is straightforward though, and i managed to complete my course in three and half days, which i was quite proud of. I have been diving in the Caribbean, Egypt and Australia since, the Great Barrier Reef was simply breathtaking.

Go for it Amanda! You'll not regret the experience.

Cheers,
Sarah
#175738 by p17blo
26 Jun 2007, 17:41
Originally posted by honey lamb
Er, Paul. MrsG lives in Bermuda. It'd be a bit expensive coming to the UK to do the classroom and pool dives [:w]

D'oh :D:D In which case you should have some stunning waters to dive!

Paul
#175739 by thejohn
26 Jun 2007, 17:48
go for it Mrs G i did my Padi many years ago still remember most of it :-))))
#175744 by PeterStansfield
26 Jun 2007, 18:29
My advice is DO get qualified in Diving. I'm actually an instructor for the British Sub Aqua Club, but feel that it doesn't really matter which agency you qualify with.

Diving gives a complete new purpose to travel, and other divers you meet are normally good people!

Don't think about it, just DO it!

Regards

PeterStansfield

Thanks
#175745 by PeterStansfield
26 Jun 2007, 18:31
OH, and there IS a British Sub Aqua Club branch in Bemuda - I've dived with them - they have their own club house, and a good social life...

Peter

Thanks
#175755 by Decker
26 Jun 2007, 20:35
If you qualify with BSAC you'll be a real diver too not a plastic one like me ;)
#175805 by p17blo
27 Jun 2007, 00:16
Decker, isn't customary for the BSAC to put down PADI, not for PADI to belittle themselves to BSAC :) - At the end of the day we are all breathing underwater. Doesn't matter who taught you how to do it.

Paul

edit to add: Just waiting for the Put Another Dollar In jokes to start now.
#175809 by Decker
27 Jun 2007, 01:19
I have nothing but respect for my BSAC colleagues. Ultimately PADI is resort diving until you move into "tech" areas. I've done some tech but not enough. Given I can die down there the more I can understand the safer I am. In my mind PADI is to BSAC as automatic driving license is to manual. Both completely safe when used as directed. If I know I'll never drive a manual/stick shift why qualify that way? But in a tech dive I suspect I'd prefer to be with a BSAC or a NAUII.
#175837 by MrsG
27 Jun 2007, 13:26
Wow! What a bunch of water babes you all are!

I have just read through the PADI medical statement and I appear to be a fit and healthy enough individual to take the course, yippee! The course lasts 4 days with an extra day if needed. I'm not too sure what the swimming test involves, but I'm a fairly strong swimmer so I won't worry about it too much

Thanks for all the advice [y]
#175838 by HighFlyer
27 Jun 2007, 13:35
My swimming test was a 200m swim and treading water for 10 minutes. I couldnt tread water at the time, so i had to learn pretty quickly. The swimming aspect was quite straightforward, you just had to show that you were a competant swimmer, it wasnt a race against the clock or anything, i just had to do continous laps of the dive center pool at my own pace. I am sure you'll have no issues. If i can get my certification, anyone can!

Thanks,
Sarah
#175916 by MrsG
27 Jun 2007, 21:38
Originally posted by HighFlyer
My swimming test was a 200m swim and treading water for 10 minutes. I couldnt tread water at the time, so i had to learn pretty quickly. The swimming aspect was quite straightforward, you just had to show that you were a competant swimmer, it wasnt a race against the clock or anything, i just had to do continous laps of the dive center pool at my own pace. I am sure you'll have no issues. If i can get my certification, anyone can!

Thanks,
Sarah

Sarah, I paid my dollars this afternoon and I am starting on the 8th of July[:0] I asked the instructor about the swimming test and as you correctly said, it is a 200m swim and treading water for 10 minutes. As I have never consciously trod water for more than a few minutes I'm going to get practising (10 minutes seems like a long time!)
I've also got some knowledge reviews to complete too before I start. Better get studying[|:)]
Virgin Atlantic