This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#255421 by FamilyMan
04 Aug 2008, 15:36
As some of you are aviation buffs, I felt compelled to share with you my visit to Wroughton this weekend. My wife runs a craft business and the craft fair at the Wroughton Classic Show was actually housed in the D4 hanger.

As some of you may know - I am sorry to say I did not - Wroghton is the large item storage facility for the Science Museum and as such has contains over 80% of the science museums exhibits including a large number of aviation exhibits - the only UK example of a Constellation and also a Boeing 247 and DC3.

The shame is that the collection is normally closed and only viewable in part (D4 hanger) on special occassions. IndeedI on arrival there is very little to suggest what the hangers house and somewhat tragic that the funding does not exist to open the collection up - they applied but failed in a bid for the large lottery grant that eventually went to building a national network of cycle tracks. The collection contains far more than just aircraft and includes bicycles, motorbikes, cars and other vehicles aswell as the first hovercraft.

Anyway just thought I'd let everyone know it was out there so that those of you who have the opportunity make the effort to see it.

FM.