This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#750331 by northernhenry
19 Jul 2010, 17:05
We are down in the big smoke for a big wedding over the weekend, staying on/near Aldwych and Friday night is our own. Suggested good eating establishments in strolling distance?

NH
#750334 by Desperado
19 Jul 2010, 18:00
Not sure what it's like at the moment - haven't been there for a few years, but Rules (oldest restaurant in London) in Maiden Lane is a memorable place to splurge :)
#750335 by s1990
19 Jul 2010, 18:06
Homage restaurant at the Waldorf hotel is quite good. Also the Ivy is within walking distance if you want to do a bit of celeb spoting!!
#750336 by tontybear
19 Jul 2010, 18:10
Your well within walking distance of Covent Garden and all that it offers. No particular recommendations though but for a pint of something Canadian pop into the Maple Leaf on Maiden Lane a spit from Rules.

I recommend the Sleaman Honey Brown :O)
#750344 by PeterStansfield
19 Jul 2010, 22:12
My views:-

Christopher's is a nice place - but it's dull American food (not even GOOD American food) and overpriced for what it is

Rules - has my vote - nothing like it anywhere else in the world

The Ivy - I'm well in there - I have the mobile phone number of the Maitre'D - the only way you can book. And even I WOULDN'T dare ask for a weekend table!

My 'left field' suggestion is Le Deuxieme in Longacre

Enjoy wherever you end up, and do file a trip report

Peter
#750351 by northernhenry
20 Jul 2010, 00:02
Hmmm, thanks all.
Done Rules & fancy a change.
Maple leaf always good value for proper beer.
In a weird dirty sort of way fancy trying the Ivy, just because its the Ivy, but as you say asking for a friday table the same week, in a northern accent, aint likely. unless you're obliging Peter?

Le Deuxieme sounds intriguing and worth following up,
Homage as option of fall back plan, as we'd be residents.

Given we are treated to a private do at Criterion on the saturday, may well be a culinary interesting weekend.
#750358 by eejp1007
20 Jul 2010, 12:43
I have been to Le Deuxieme a couple of times, most recently before War Horse, it has never disappointed yet.
Nice wine that doesn't cost a bomb and the food is always well prepared and presented. It's not pretentious at all and a good bet.
#750361 by slinky09
20 Jul 2010, 13:52
Frankly, I'd avoid the Ivy like the plague on weekend nights. To say more would be to upset the chavs.

J Sheekey however is much more special.

As to places around Aldwych:

- I used to love The Admiralty at Somerset House, now I see that it's opening as a Tom's Kitchen from July 26th, could be well worth a visit
- a local favourite of mine is Maggiore's on King Street in Covent Garden
- Joe Allan's is great for pre- or post-theatre, good burgers still and very unfussy and popular
Virgin Atlantic